I'm so new to this that it hurts!!

Options
emca85
emca85 Posts: 4 Member
I'm on day 2 of healthy eating and exercise and I'm already having serious cravings for BAD food. This is my first ever time of dieting and I really don't know how you guys do it. I'm nearing..... Ahem....30 and my mom was right. "When you are 30 it'll hit you". Will it get easier??

Replies

• abmvb
    abmvb Posts: 9
    Options
    Having the same experience! I've found that it's best for me to allow myself "bad" food sometimes, but just have really small portions of it. I know fitness/health nuts will judge that, but it's really the only thing that works for me. Everything in moderation. I think it gets easier, though! Healthy eating will be a habit one day :) GOOD LUCK and please friend me if you'd like!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out 'bad food' totally. Allow it to fit into your calories where necessary. Remember it's not the end of the world if you go over by say 300 calories one day if you can average it out over the next 2/3 days even over the week. I found the first 2 weeks were very difficult.

Just take it one day at a time, don't weigh yourself daily and if you feel hungry drink some water.

Good luck.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    Today is my second day also and i have noticed it is hard to. I also know that anything worth working for is not going to be easy. Log everything and more than likely you can have that "bad food"..just don't go overboard with it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over eighteen months and I suggest you scale back your ambitions a little bit, because you will be in this for the long haul. Try the 80/20 rule. Be strict with yourself five days out of seven, then enjoy. You don't want to deny yourself too long because it can lead to bingeing which is even worse for you.

These days if I crave something I go have it, but it will be a scaled-back version of what I used to eat. I pull out a snack cup and fill it so I am not tempted to eat the whole bag. It might be one prune instead of five. Like that.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Start off with small meals and also possibly balancing first.... Be selective but yet still find tasteful things to eat...Find a fun way to eat healthy by looking up recipes and fixing those things you like in a better way.. You can do it..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I blogged here about the tips I learned about halting a binge session. That might help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    emca85 wrote: »
    I'm on day 2 of healthy eating and exercise and I'm already having serious cravings for BAD food. This is my first ever time of dieting and I really don't know how you guys do it. I'm nearing..... Ahem....30 and my mom was right. "When you are 30 it'll hit you". Will it get easier??

How many calories are you eating? Are you eating your exercise calories, or at least some of them, back?

I didn't change to many things in my diet to loss 50 lbs, just ate within my calorie limit. So I still eat brownies, donuts, potato chip, bacon and have maintained my weight for a year.

• vicpoole188
    Options
    I agree with jgnatca - I have been battling my weight all my life - I'm sure I have tried every diet known to man :) and I know I am an "all or nothing" girl - if I fall off the wagon I abandon that day - eat everything that is not nailed down and start again tomorrow - maybe!!!
    - . I am aiming for a loss of .5kg or 1 lb and having 1500 cal per day.
    - This means I deny myself nothing only I have smaller portions.
  • vicpoole188
    Options
    Continuing the above post - I had an appointment.
    I have only been on MFP for 6 days - so its early days yet but on so many diets I barely lasted 3 days - I love food and its usually not the right food. If I can have a small serve of fries and my favourite bacon and egg breakfast muffin (I have had both this week and been well below my target) I am confident I can lose the 44lbs I need to.
    Ok, if it takes until the beginning of November to do it - then I will probably call this a lifestyle change by then and not a diet.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'll be 32 next week. Yes, it gets easier.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The longer you stick with it the easier it gets. Focus on creating healthy habbits that can eventually become second nature. Don't try to change everything all at once. Pick one thing at a time to work on. Finally, don't try and go too fast. Slow and steady wins the race. Set a moderate calorie deficit that you'll be able to stick to long term and that will hopefully not leave you starving. If your calorie deficit is moderate and you're still feeling hungry all the time then you need to look at the calorie and nutrient density of the food you're eating. Focus on getting some lean protein, healthy fats and veggies at every meal
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its really hard right because youre addicted to bad food. it will get easier. im 41 and doin just fine. altho i do have PMS right now and had to take an emergency swig of chocolate milk lol. pms is the only time i have cravings
  • sher6648
    sher6648 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why We Need to Stop Labeling Foods as 'Good' or 'Bad'

So, the other day I was hanging around the house with a friend and I announced that I wanted a bowl of ice cream. My friend is very aware of the steps I have taken to watch my weight and create a healthier lifestyle so in an innocent attempt to sway me from the ice cream decision he suggested that maybe I have something different because "ICE CREAM IS BAD."

When did food begin to develop the capacity to have characteristics such as 'bad' and 'good?'
    Food is food - we eat when our bodies require us to be fueled and if whatever we were putting in our mouths did not achieve that to some capacity then it would not be considered a food. Some foods have more nutritional benefits than others and THAT is what we should be focusing on.
    By labeling foods as 'bad' and 'good' it changes the way our minds regard that food entirely, that is psychology. Banning foods from our diets only makes our minds crave it more because we are constantly suppressing thinking about it. When we finally indulge ourselves we are more likely to eat more than we had if we just regarded the 'bad' food as any other source of fuel.
    This attitude of labeling the foods also can impact the way we feel about ourselves afterwards. When we eat a meal which is made up of 'good' foods we feel proud and motivated to continue with that habit. But after indulging in a 'bad' food we can feel guilty or disappointed that we gave in.
    Stop labeling your foods as 'good' or 'bad' and just eat what you like in balance and moderation. It's ok to have those sweeter items from the pantry as long as its not solely what your diet is made of
    [/center]
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, and today I hurt lol! For me it is the exercise that hurts (my backside was very sore on the bike today lol). Healthy foods can be very tasty. And as far as "BAD" foods, no foods should be off limits unless you have allergy. This is about moderation and portion control. Once the weight loss starts up you will likely get excited about eating healthy!
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey!

Yes it does get easier. My first few days were really hard but now it's just second nature and I'm only a month in. What really helped me was the support from my MFP friends. So, feel free to add me and we can motivate each other! I see that you have 10 lbs to lose, it's totally doable.

If you're craving something, have it in smaller portions. However, when I added exercise and started actively eating "healthy" foods, I really didn't need all the junk in my life. Not going to lie, my cravings get the better of me sometimes and I indulge myself. I've learned that when you put restrictions on food, sooner or later you are bound to fail (as I did... TWICE). This is a lifetime change, the food you eat now will carry on until you're old and wrinkly lol, so make a diet plan that you enjoy and can sustain.

Cheers.
  • emca85
    emca85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow so many replies. Just at work right now so will read thoroughly later. I'm so pleased to have people in the same boat as me. Thank you for taking the time to write back :D
  • mcc4r90
    mcc4r90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @emca85‌ It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed. As many said above, try the 80/20 rule and don't completely cut out some of your faviourite foods. Whether it be pizza, mac and cheese, or burgers, these foods can be classified as 'cheat' meals and you can indulge in them about once a week. Try adopting the perspective that your new journey is a lifestyle change, and not a diet. Diets don't work because they are not long term. Try and come to terms with your eating routine - do you snack a lot? do you binge on bad food? do you drink soda/juice/lattes? Learn about your routine, what you are/were eating and adopt simple strategies to combat these bad habits. Read up on tips and tricks to overcome these habits on MFP community !! :) We're all here to help one another!
  • trentangiers
    trentangiers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with RoyBeck that you can have small portions of less healthy foods, but just make sure it fits with what you want your calorie intake to be.
    It is my first time doing this and I'm shooting for 2100 calories/day in a 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fats macro diet.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    There are no BAD FOODS... Like Sher wrote above... Food is food. You can still enjoy the foods you've always eaten, you just have to learn to eat a smaller portion of it. Yes, it is possible to eat what you consider "bad" and lose weight. I eat everything I've always eaten: chips, soda, chocolate, danishes, cookies, pizza, ice cream, what have you... and I'm losing weight. There is no need to avoid foods or else, you'd want it more, fail and binge. Portion control is key. The only foods I consider bad are whatever is rotting or whatever I don't like the taste of. LOL!

71124836.png
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've been at this for over eighteen months and I suggest you scale back your ambitions a little bit, because you will be in this for the long haul. Try the 80/20 rule. Be strict with yourself five days out of seven, then enjoy. You don't want to deny yourself too long because it can lead to bingeing which is even worse for you.

These days if I crave something I go have it, but it will be a scaled-back version of what I used to eat. I pull out a snack cup and fill it so I am not tempted to eat the whole bag. It might be one prune instead of five. Like that.

I try to make good, healthy food choices 80% of the time - the other 20% is life. And I do this on a daily basis.