Workout Routine??

Options
Hey I'm just starting and wanting to lose about 45 pounds. I can understand how to eat healthy, however the one thing I'm not sure about is what kind of exercises are best to do at the gym to lose weight? Should weights be involved during that first period of trying to lose weight? If so what kind of gym routines are best??

Thanks!!

Replies

• abmvb
    abmvb Posts: 9
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio! Definitely find some cardio routines you feel like you might be able to stick with. Popsugar and SkinnyMs.com both have some good routines for ellipticals, treadmills, and exercise bikes. A combination of cardio and strength exercises will help you gain muscle mass and lose fat, too!
  • mmjr89
    mmjr89 Posts: 5
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Actually, you don't have to do any exercise to lose weight...I wouldn't recommend it, but exercise is not necessary to lose weight.

Weight loss is all about energy balance...your body requires so much energy (calories) to function and maintain the status quot...when your energy consumption is more than required, you gain weight as excess energy is stored as fat for later use. When you eat less than required your body has to compensate by dipping into energy reserves (i.e. fat stores)

You can do all of the exercise you want but if your energy consumption is not less than required to maintain the status quot you will not lose a single ounce of fat. Just look around the gym...I've seen the same people for years doing hours and hours of cardio and they still look exactly the same...because they over eat.

Exercise does have the added benefit of increasing your body's energy requirements which make it easier to maintain an energy deficit...but it certainly doesn't guarantee one. For example, without exercise I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 1800 calories with a maintenance around 2300 calories....but with regular exercise I can eat around 2300 calories and lose that same 1 Lb as before....because my maintenance with regular exercise is around 2800 calories.

Really, though, it's all about diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I would highly recommend a balanced fitness approach including elements of both cardiovascular work and resistance training.

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is 90% of the battle to losing weight. Exercise for better health and strength. If you really want to feel strong, lift weights. Check out fitnessblender on youtube. They have plenty of beginner's routines. If you decide you really enjoy lifting check out NROLFW, SL 5x5 or Bodybuider's Allpro routine. Good luck.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    mmjr89 wrote: »
    Hey I'm just starting and wanting to lose about 45 pounds. I can understand how to eat healthy, however the one thing I'm not sure about is what kind of exercises are best to do at the gym to lose weight? Should weights be involved during that first period of trying to lose weight? If so what kind of gym routines are best??

Thanks!!

Go on youtube and look up workouts and just try and do what they do in the videos. . . I used youtube as my personal trainer and still do
  • natashajbs
    natashajbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing charlotte crosby's 3 min belly blitz DVD as a work out 4 times a week :) I'd recommend it x
  • Tedebearduff
    Options
    What kind of work out are you doing in 3 minutes??? unless you do it 20 times a day?
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    to cut weight/fat, cardio is going to be your best friend......be it the elliptical, stepper, or the treadmill.....or a mix of all 3....

also want to incorporate weight lifting......be nosy, watch what other people are doing.....and take mental notes ;) and do similar workouts.....don't go right next to them and do them or anything lol.....that's like borderline creeper status, if you know what I mean lol......but yea.....i tend to not follow any "routine"......i mix up my routines every day at the gym.......to keep the body parts guessing what i'm gonna "attack" next haha.
  • Tedebearduff
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    to cut weight/fat, cardio is going to be your best friend......be it the elliptical, stepper, or the treadmill.....or a mix of all 3....

also want to incorporate weight lifting......be nosy, watch what other people are doing.....and take mental notes ;) and do similar workouts.....don't go right next to them and do them or anything lol.....that's like borderline creeper status, if you know what I mean lol......but yea.....i tend to not follow any "routine"......i mix up my routines every day at the gym.......to keep the body parts guessing what i'm gonna "attack" next haha.

Weight lifting would actually be better. Push pull legs repeat

• trentangiers
    trentangiers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is tracking my calories burned during cardio. It helps take out a lot of guess work because 20 minutes walking on the treadmill is a lot different from walking 20 minutes on the stair climber for example.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you dont need a routine!

you need a whole program!

good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I personally do the elliptical trainer! I bought one about a month a go and love it! You can do strength training, cardio, fat burning and other workouts! This allows you do a lot all in one.

The treadmill and stationary bike are both good as well. I actually do elliptical and stationary bike.

You have to find what you enjoy (or what you will enjoy) and do that. If you do not like it, you will not keep doing it!

There are MFP members that are into weight training will encourage you add this on alternate days of your cardio, etc.. And you can add this too and it does help with weight loss (fat loss).

I cannot do weight training (nor do I care about it) as I am 46 and I just want to have a healthy heart and lungs and exercise to feel better!

Find what you like and stick to that! I started small and then found something I enjoyed daily!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight lifting beats cardio hands down

Strong curves or new rules of lifting for women - both books

Plus programmes like strong lifts

Or nerdfitness has good bodyweight exercises for beginners http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Cardio ...meh ...a couple of 20 min sessions a week is plenty

Resistance work preserves lean muscles
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym when I'm first starting out. I get so intimidated so I go to the library and get workout videos. I usually have a yoga/pilates and a cardio based one.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    abmvb wrote: »
    Cardio, cardio, cardio! Definitely find some cardio routines you feel like you might be able to stick with. Popsugar and SkinnyMs.com both have some good routines for ellipticals, treadmills, and exercise bikes. A combination of cardio and strength exercises will help you gain muscle mass and lose fat, too!

Cardio is not needed for any weight/fat loss, though it will improve health and allow you to eat more while losing. I would suggest a program of 3 day full body strength training, with 2-3 days of cardio on non-lifting days (could be swim, jog, walk, etc)
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am personally a weight fan. Bodybuilding.com has lots of free programs and shows you all the moves. Shortcut to Shred might be a good choice because it involves cardio between sets.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    abmvb wrote: »

No. Cardio will help you burn a few extra calories, but you cannot "gain muscle mass" on a caloric deficit.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »

Weight lifting would actually be better. Push pull legs repeat

Dis right here, with some cardio on the side if you want.
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Everyone here is a winner! Or... a portion of a winner!

Four things (Do them all):

1. Monitor your diet; this is huge (90%, as stated)
    2. Lift weights: lifting weights will build muscle, thereby increasing your basal metabolic rate. The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you burn, even if you're just sitting around and reading MFP blogs. Studies have shown your BMR is temporarily further supercharged even after you're done lifting. Weight lifting is important for increasing bone density so when you fall as a 80 year old you can just pop back up and brush yourself off, rather than need a hip replacement.
    3. Cardio... for more than 20 minutes. The first twenty minutes, your body is burning carbohydrates (or, if you're on freakishly low carbs, protein... but if you're doing freakishly low carbs and high intensity workouts, I feel badly for your muscles and kidneys. That's another story.) After 20 min, you burn fat.
    4. Find things you like. For example, I do Zumba for cardio so I can pretend I'm just dancing and not flailing around in slow agonizing death. And for weight lifting, I don't particularly care for it, but I care for the candied men that come alongside weight rooms, so I zone out and just enjoy them as I pump iron. As mentioned, New Rules of Weight Lifting is a great book for women... if you don't have elevated testosterone. If your testosterone is elevated (PCOS), watch out for bulking up too much with high weights and low reps [unless this is what you're going for]. Yeahhhh She-Hulk!

Be sure to eat within 30min following your workouts, and ideally, this meal should have protein to help build muscle. If you don't eat, your body will break down muscle (it still needs glucose to function) and then what was the point of the workout?

• mmjr89
    mmjr89 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much all of this really helps!!