a somewhat serious question [In need of Support & possible answers]

Maqneta
Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
so first of all I understand that nobody on here that I know of is a doctor and can't give me a yes or no to my question.

It's been around a year since I started my weight loss Journey and I went from closer to 250 - 155-149 (I fluctuate it seems depending on the day etc) pretty big drop at least to me, ever since then I have had this thing with being obsessed with being "skinny" It almost has become programmed into my head that I have to look a certain way for me to be happy.
everybody who sees me now tells me how skinny I am and I personally don't seem to believe them, I went into a relationship with somebody and he is always telling me I could gain weight if I wanted and still be healthy again I have a hard time believing them personally I feel like I look fat and no matter how many people tell me this I don't see what they see when I look into the mirror or of pictures of myself.

just to clarify;
I'm 18, 6 foot 149-155 pounds.

for instance this picture was Taken of my best friend my boyfriend and I a week ago.
9e0dt4ulw8e7.jpg

a more full body picture of me.
people have told me I don't look "chubby" at all and that I look more on the skinny side.
ocjprk7y2a4r.jpg

a went to the Aquarium with a friend who I had not seen since summer and I pulled up a picture we took during that time and she said it didn't look like I had changed much.
this was taken 20 pounds ago and I took that horribly.
ixcdqtqmipvz.jpg

am I just seeing a warped image of myself or am I actually "chubby" or does this sound like some form of body dysmorphia

Replies

• Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Please, please,please...get some counseling! You are NOT chubby! You look GREAT!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Sounds potentially like dysmorphia to me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Oh honey.

You look great - you really do. But no amount of me telling you so will change how you feel about yourself.

Do you have access to medical care? I really, really think you should talk to someone about how you're feeling - a therapist will have tools to help you. You should feel inside as fabulous as you look on the outside.

Good luck to you!
  • Maqneta
    Oh honey.

You look great - you really do. But no amount of me telling you so will change how you feel about yourself.

Do you have access to medical care? I really, really think you should talk to someone about how you're feeling - a therapist will have tools to help you. You should feel inside as fabulous as you look on the outside.

Good luck to you!

I'm really not even sure how to find a therapist do I start with a general doctor and he'll send me to someone?
  • SondraJervis
    SondraJervis Posts: 10 Member
    I agree with the above statements. You should seek counseling.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Maqneta wrote: »
    Oh honey.

Good luck to you!

I'm really not even sure how to find a therapist do I start with a general doctor and he'll send me to someone?

That's the perfect place to start.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Oh honey.

Good luck to you!

It might also be worth doing a search for ED support in your area and asking who they would recommend, not saying that you have an ED but they will know the available resources and counselling available for a broad range of issues, including this.

Good luck to you, I should have said in my last post that you look fantastic!
  • Maqneta
    Oh honey.

Good luck to you!

It might also be worth doing a search for ED support in your area and asking who they would recommend, not saying that you have an ED but they will know the available resources and counselling available for a broad range of issues, including this.

Good luck to you, I should have said in my last post that you look fantastic!

Thank you for the help ^^
  • megjt7
    megjt7 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm an ED RN and I'm sorry to disagree with the previous statement, but typically, they don't refer out to psych and won't be able to help over the phone. I would hate for you to waste your time. Your primary doctor IS the perfect place to start. If you have insurance, there should also be a number on the back of the card specifically for counseling purposes. Good luck, my friend. You look amazing and I hope you are able to find the right person to talk to so that YOU know you look amazing. :smile:
  • Maqneta
    megjt7 wrote: »
    I'm an ED RN and I'm sorry to disagree with the previous statement, but typically, they don't refer out to psych and won't be able to help over the phone. I would hate for you to waste your time. Your primary doctor IS the perfect place to start. If you have insurance, there should also be a number on the back of the card specifically for counseling purposes. Good luck, my friend. You look amazing and I hope you are able to find the right person to talk to so that YOU know you look amazing. :smile:

Thank you for the advice !