Yoga

Options
I will ask. I have read about yoga and heard of friends doing it, but not sure is it really worth the extra time? I hear about the different types--is it for flexibility, strenght??????? and then I am a guy so will I look out of place---

Replies

• abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yoga is one of the greatest workouts I've ever done. When I was practicing it regularly, I was more fit than I had ever been in my life. Yoga is good for everything - cardio, strength, flexibility and inner tranquility (depending on the classes you take). I always like a variety, so try some power yoga (for cardio and strength) and some level 1 or yin yoga classes for stretching.

There are tons of guys who practice yoga regularly too, so you definitely won't be out of place. Even if there aren't a lot of guys, I'm sure it never sucks to be the only guy in a room full of women!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Plenty of guys practice yoga.

Yoga has all the benefits of strength training, aerobics and meditation all in one work out (please don't ask me for the citation, but there are actual studies on this).

There are a number of different kinds of yoga, but the best way to get started is to tag along with one of your friends. It looks like stretching, but it will kick your *kitten*.
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I love yoga I try to do it about 3x or more per week consistantly since Jan. It is for flexibility, balance and strength, I find that it helps with posture and so much more too! It is a great thing anyway I take classes at my gym 2x a week and everytime there is always a few guys in there you should totally give it a try!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Plenty of guys practice yoga.

Yoga has all the benefits of strength training, aerobics and meditation all in one work out (please don't ask me for the citation, but there are actual studies on this).

There are a number of different kinds of yoga, but the best way to get started is to tag along with one of your friends. It looks like stretching, but it will kick your *kitten*.

This.

Find a "beginners" class at a local rec. or community center. There will be other people there who are also doing yoga for the first time. Take a sense of humor with you. Yoga is not all serious, new-age, hippy-dippy crap. It really works out your core! I feel so sore (but in a good stretchy way) the day after I do yoga. Plus I leave feeling AWESOME!

If you can't find a class labeled "beginners" or "introduction," then be aware of the differences.

Hatha is gentle & stretchy, you'll spend more time in each pose. Vinyasa is very dynamic and active, you'll be moving around a LOT. Svaroopa / restorative / yin is like laying around on blankets & such... but you'd be surprised how kick *kitten* you feel the next day.

I'd say at least 50% of the people in every yoga class I've been to are men... and at least 10% are there for the first time. And not everyone is fit or toned or whatever. The key is finding a place where you feel comfortable. The places with incense and gift shops make me sick. But not every place is like that.

My #1 tip to to wear snug-fitting clothing. Nothing is worse than having your t-shirt flop into your face & expose your tummy in downward facing dog.
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    My #1 tip to to wear snug-fitting clothing. Nothing is worse than having your t-shirt flop into your face & expose your tummy in downward facing dog.
    [/quote]

Very true! I learned the hard way! LOL