Tips on bench pressing

Options
I can db press 100 pounds each hand for reps. But I can only bench press 185. Any body have any pointers or suggestions on how to go about increasing it?

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some rounds of barbell overhead press for a few weeks, and hit some dips, or even weighted dips if you can. Also some 1.5lbs plates to help you push past what might just be a mental block.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have to say that is extremely unusual...its opposite 99.9% of the time...dk how you van change that tho, rather than getting under the bar and giving it hell and work on that exercise
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Drive through the legs, tinker with your hand spacing and elbow flare.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do weighted dips every so often but it stresses my shoulder pretty bad. I will some overhead presses though.. I agree it is unusual. Its been a problem since the day I started lifting haha
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably just a technique issue. Start here:

• Krueger92
    Options
    I appreciate the video. Will try on my next chest and see if I can get this figured out.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Krueger92 wrote: »
    I do weighted dips every so often but it stresses my shoulder pretty bad. I will some overhead presses though.. I agree it is unusual. Its been a problem since the day I started lifting haha

Do you have rounded shoulders/bad posture?
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I feel like that video focuses more on the how much can I max guy...not the guy who is actually trying to grow his pecs ...hence the 3 inch bench press from the man in the beginning... Just my opinion
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    do your shoulders have a medial rotation?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    do your shoulders have a medial rotation?

I asked first!!
  • Krueger92
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Bad football injury back in the day on my right shoulder
  • Krueger92
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    I feel like that video focuses more on the how much can I max guy...not the guy who is actually trying to grow his pecs ...hence the 3 inch bench press from the man in the beginning... Just my opinion

I agree. As far as development of my chest goes it good. Really just trying to get my bench up because of powerlifting meets I get killed at bench press.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Bad football injury back in the day on my right shoulder

I have it too. You need to work on correcting this. My guess is when using an Olympic bar, you are forced into a correct position (chest out shoulders back and down) and your postural chain is weak. Stretch the chest, and strengthen upper back.

• DjinnMarie
    Options
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have trouble activating your lats (one or both sides) during bent over rows and feel it more in your traps? Yes?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Do you have video? I'm guessing it more in your setup since its extremely odd that you can do more with dumbbells.

Weighted dips, Military press, and Inc dumbells while doing a progressive lift program for the bench have sent my PR through the roof.
  • Krueger92
    Options
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have trouble activating your lats (one or both sides) during bent over rows and feel it more in your traps? Yes?

Yup, just the right side. Its weird.
  • Krueger92
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Do you have video? I'm guessing it more in your setup since its extremely odd that you can do more with dumbbells.

Weighted dips, Military press, and Inc dumbells while doing a progressive lift program for the bench have sent my PR through the roof.

My military presses and my incline db press are also pretty high. The more I think about it, it has to be my setup.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

It's the posture of your right shoulder. You probably get ocassional sharp pain between your spine and right shoulder blade too?

Your right pec is probably tight, along with upper abs, over stretching your upper back on the right side and weakening it. My PX stays the same, stretch and release the chest, strengthen upper back (even just right side). I have the same problem, but on both sides. Your postural chain is "lazy". You need to get those muscles firing again.
  • Krueger92
    Options

It's the posture of your right shoulder. You probably get ocassional sharp pain between your spine and right shoulder blade too?

Your right pec is probably tight, along with upper abs, over stretching your upper back on the right side and weakening it. My PX stays the same, stretch and release the chest, strengthen upper back (even just right side). I have the same problem, but on both sides. Your postural chain is "lazy". You need to get those muscles firing again.

I do get that pain. What exercises should I be doing to get them up and going?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

I do get that pain. What exercises should I be doing to get them up and going?

First is getting your chest to release. Once this happens the strain on your upper back will get better. And it's a *kitten* to do. Stand in a door way, elbows bent, palms out, hands up. Place palms on door way (frame) and step through. Stretching the chest. And sorry, but google "yoga chest openers". This will really help. Do this before any upper back exercises. Otherwise they are useless.

Then google "posture correction". There's a few moves to help that are difficult to explain. Deadlifts with good form really helps. And some thing where you lie on your stomach and point your thumbs backwards and lift your chest off the ground.

Correcting rounded shoulder(s) is a huge pain In the *kitten*, but it can be done. If you have medical insurance, it may be worth while to see a physical therapist.