Replies

• dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate this is but I found it helpful
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=805
  • UnicornRides
    Options
    I switched to being 90% vegetarian (love my eggs and milk..) and that resolved almost all of my issues (some of which you have.) The problem is that most foods these days have artificial sugars which confuse the body. It doesn't break down like natural does.

It should also be noted: if you eat a lot of protein (sounds like you do), and it's not burned off- it can be stored as fat. Your body uses carbs and lipids before protein. If you have too much protein, and it's all crude, then it's of no real use to you at all. Make sure you know your types of protein because that could be affecting you too.

Make sure you get tested for HypOthyroidism, too. That is easily mistaken by regular doctors.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    How did metformin help you with hypoglycemia? That seems counter-intuitive since metformin is intended to reduce insulin resistance.

Do you use a glucometer? If yes, at what level do you begin to experience symptoms?

As a type 1 diabetic, I've had trouble losing weight due to treating lows after exercise. I get it... you burn off a bunch of calories and then have to eat more back than what you burned in the first place. One day, I ate over 6,000 calories just to keep my blood sugar up and that was on a low activity day. My blood sugar was as low as 20 mg/dl during that time and only barely broke 100 once before crashing down yet again. I started to freak out because if I went to sleep, I would have to stop eating and would go low and die. So I stayed up eating cookies... after 2 boxes of cookies (1 of Oreos, another of Chips Ahoy), it rose high enough that I could confidently sleep without worrying about never waking. That was before I recognized that glucose tablets are a better option.

The lowest calorie and fastest working option to raise blood sugar is glucose tablets, so using these as a go to will help reduce calories from treating lows.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi dylangrrrl, I also have chronic hypoglycemia. Its going on about 14 years now. and I run into the same problems you do. Before I first was diagnosed the doctors thought I was having seizures so I was put on seizure medicine. Anyway, since then I've learned how to manage it better. It really sucks when I can't leave the house without a good meal just so you can function for a few hours before I feel the 'drop' start. But I find that when I'm on a continual exercise regimen, my blood sugar level is more stable. I don't have as many episodes maybe because I'm also eating better along with all the exercise. The only thing I know that works for me is eating more protein, less carbs, and plenty of exercise. Well, I just wanted to say that I totally get where you are coming from. Its not an easy thing to live with.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was a diabetic type 2 until I lost my weight. My blood sugars are normal now. Eating for a diabetic and a hypoglycemic is very similar. I'm a little horrified at this thread as some of the information is misguided.

I don't think water will have any effect on your blood sugars.

I think your calorie goal is a little too aggressive if you are also trying to keep even blood sugars all day.

For those mid-afternoon surprises, always have a stash with you. I have a long list of "portable proteins" I keep on hand for emergencies. I pack them in snack size ziplocs so they are easy to pop in to the lunch bag and my purse. This includes various protein bars cut in half (half a bar is usually enough), edamame seed pods, 3 cm cubes of low-fat cheddar, nuts, snack size yogurts, and 1 tbsp hummus and crackers.

With every episode, brainstorm what might be wrong and try one idea to change it up. If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, try something else.

At dinner, maybe re-think your portion size, even cutting it in half.
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    Options
    Water does affect your blood sugars because you need it to metabolize your food.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    1. Water does not affect blood sugars, but blood sugars can affect hydration (not your issue obviously, as this is a problem for those experiencing hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia... except to the extent that hypoglycemia causes sweating).
    2. @jgnatca I also am annoyed about some of the bad information here. Protein only partially converts to glucose, and does so over several hours. Your suggest for a protein snack is not helpful for treating an emergency low, but could help prevent hypoglycemia in the first place. If someone already has low blood sugar, protein could be dangerous (because it will slow down absorption of carbs eaten with it). Someone with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) should be eating fast acting carbohydrates aside from fiber or sugar alcohols. Dextrose is best (which is why they put this in glucose tablets).
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have T1D, so I know it's not exactly the same cause, but I try to save 100-200 calories for low blood sugar levels. If it doesn't happen it's a nice snack, or just extra calories "saved."
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you chronic hypo or reactive hypo? I.e. if all your episodes are after meals, you are probably reactive. If you are low at night or in the morning or regardless of eating, then chronic (or something like that). How you eat is different for each I think. Its worth knowing..

Some things I have learned:
    1) Do NOT eat sugar for a hypo episode... It is not like diabetics who have to get a quick glucose bolus... You set yourself up for a hypo roller coaster like that - it will "fix" it temporarily by spiking blood sugar, but when it goes back down it now will fall farther and faster, making it worse. You are better off eating a normal snack of protein WITH simple carbs and wait it out. No candy, orange juice etc for fixes. An apple with PB is better...

2) Never eat carbs alone (advice that worked for me at least). Always pair carbs with protein or fat. Think crackers with cheese or peanut butter, oatmeal made with a protein shake instead of milk, apples with PB, etc.

3) The common advice is to eat smaller more frequent meals, and for most people that probably helps. If that doesnt seem to help you much, it is worth trying the opposite - fewer larger meals with no snacks or grazing. The thought is that when you start to eat, your body produces enough insulin for a *full* meal. If you eat half a "full" meal, there is now too much insulin and not enough food to counteract it, so your sugar drops not long after eating (usually reactice types). So if instead you actually eat a full meal, the amount of insulin releases is proportional to your intake and your sugar wont drop after. It may or may not be true for you, but something to try.

4) Check all your food and drinks for stevia. Stevia (Rebiana and a few other forms of names) is widely promoted to diabetics because it wont spike your blood sugar like regular sugar does and other sweeteners do. But in some people, it not only does not spike it, it actually LOWERS it. That is awesome if you are diabetic, TERRIBLE if you are hypoglycemic! I started drinking a big thing of tea every day made with stevia and for a month I was seeing stars every afternoon (as I was finishing it)... Took me awhile to get the connection. I have found that as long as I mix it with carbs, it is ok for me. By without any other carbs (i.e added to tea or coffee) and it tanked my blood sugar (like down to 40 several times!). I saw quest bars mentioned above - the "naturals" line is made with stevia... I dont believe I have had trouble with those because they have lots of fiber and protein and other carbs, but its worth watching just in case until you learn what your personal tolerance is.

Some things I also learned I never connected before - nighttime hypo espides can have symptoms such as excessive sweating (during day too especially of your face), nightmares, etc. Have a small protein/carb snack just before bed if you think this is happening to you.

Hope something here helps. Good luck.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great information aylajane. Interesting on the eating big meals and not snacking. I think this might work for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Today I was right on track calorie wise, lots of small snacks the last of which was a chobani yogurt (high protein) at 3pm. At 5:30pm picking up my kids from school, I got another extreme case of shakiness/dizziness. If I listen to my body and eat say a cheesesteak for lunch it will hold me through but when I attempt to restrict calories, even carefully spacing meals/snacks I'm often left in a situation where I'm not safe to drive my kids. I've been told I am hypoglycemic but am not diabetic. Does anyone else experience these issues? I'm thinking load up on high protein snacks at 4pm and have a lighter dinner? This is difficult since I eat whatever dinner I'm making for my family. Does anyone have any recommendations for high protein/low calorie snacks? MFP has put me at 1340 daily goal.

Thanks for reading MFP friends and good luck with your journeys!

Who told you you're hypoglycemic but not diabetic?

You need to take this to your doctor, because you said you are not safe to drive when you have one of your dizzy/shaky spells.
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    SLLRunner: It was my doctor who said I am hypoglycemic years ago. My blood sugar always tested normal but was never tested during a shaky/dizzy episode. She determined this only based on my description of the episodes. The strongest symptom is shakiness/sweating/desperate feeling like you need food now. You know if you just eat something like a candy bar or peanut butter crackers, etc. and sit for about 20-30 minutes you will be ok. I've called my husband to pick up the kids before when I don't feel I'm ok to drive. I should go back to the doctor but was trying to improve my diet and see if that could resolve the issue. Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you all for the information! I'm recording in my diary everything I eat to hopefully gradually tweak my diet to lose weight and not get the shakes. I truly appreciate all your feedback!

I also neglected to mention I have PCOS which I believe may have been the reason I was taking Metformin but it seemed to help reduce my crashes which I feel are related to meals/food intake/carbs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    OK, so why don't you get a glucometer and test it when you have these incidents?
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    aylajane: Thank you so much for the information! I'm definitely going to focus on small snacks with both carbs and protein. For me I think it's reactive since it is 90% of the time in the afternoon and never in the early morning or night time when I have these symptoms. I also think your comment on large meals is interesting. As I mentioned if I have a cheesesteak ~650 calories for lunch, I'm usually ok until 6pm. I will also try large lunches and see how that goes. Again, thanks for the info!
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    midwesterner85: Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely get some glucose tablets to have on hand. I've never tried these. I definitely get that fast acting carbs are needed for an emergency low and more protein to prevent such lows from happening. Also I could definitely exercise more. Good luck on your journey and thank you for sharing your experience!
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had type 1 diabetes for 29 years and I have lost 20-30lbs twice in those years. if you take insulin it important to adjust it according to your diet and exercise, talk to your doctor if you don't know the correct way to do this. Even doing this you still might have some lows but they should be less. Usually say if my blood sugar was 38 I would have @ 4 ounces of Orange juice and a spoonful o reduced fat peanut butter, then give your body time to raise your sugar because it's easy to over compensate. Anyways that works for me and water does not effect your blood sugar directly.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    midwesterner85: Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely get some glucose tablets to have on hand. I've never tried these. I definitely get that fast acting carbs are needed for an emergency low and more protein to prevent such lows from happening. Also I could definitely exercise more. Good luck on your journey and thank you for sharing your experience!

I would start with a gluco meter to test. If you are low, how low are you? Also, as another user pointed out, a fast rise with reactive hypoglycemia will likely cause another low. But seriously... get a glucometer and test. If you find you are not low, that is important. If you find you are barely low (60's), that is important too. 60's is not an emergency. I don't think you will ever go as low as someone like me who is on insulin, but I felt slightly low once after driving to a trailhead to hike, tested, and was 20 mg/dl. You are describing symptoms of an extreme low, and you really should be testing to see how low it is, or if that is really what it is at all.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I would start with a gluco meter to test. If you are low, how low are you? Also, as another user pointed out, a fast rise with reactive hypoglycemia will likely cause another low. But seriously... get a glucometer and test. If you find you are not low, that is important. If you find you are barely low (60's), that is important too. 60's is not an emergency. I don't think you will ever go as low as someone like me who is on insulin, but I felt slightly low once after driving to a trailhead to hike, tested, and was 20 mg/dl. You are describing symptoms of an extreme low, and you really should be testing to see how low it is, or if that is really what it is at all.

Exactly. Unless you test your bgl during these episodes with a glucometer, there is really no way for you to know if it is hypoglycemia at all. There are many causes of feeling shakey, dizzy and/or passing out, most of which have nothing to do with glucose. Honestly, if that was all your doctor said (especially after normal glucose tests in office) and they have not reccomended any other testing, I would find another doctor.

Causes for the symptoms you decribed that are not attributed to glucose:
    -heart arrythmias (only way to know is to where a monitor for a period of time)
    - panic attacks/anxiety (an actual medical condition, not just "in your head" as people think)
    - Brain abnormalities/tumors
    - Drug interactions
    - Caffeine interactions
    - Neurologic disorders

And the list goes on and on. Don't be so quick to accept the first answer your doctor gives you.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My wife has hypoglycemia. Slower digesting carbs(whole grains) tend to help her. She also carries around glucose tablets and uses them when her blood sugar gets really low and she starts feeling funny.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I know everyone keeps mentioning the glucose tabs for a quick fix, but like I said - it is not the same as for a diabetic... In a diabetic, their sugar is high "normally" and only taking insulin is what is forcing it down. The sugar provides a quick counteraction to the extra insulin and their "natural" body reaction is to be high, so it wont drop immediately back down. For a hypoglycemic, your "natural" is low to start with (not tanked low, but like 60-70 range. If you take a glucose tab, it will spike it up quickly but your body will try to go back to its "natural" state not long after and it will tank hard and fast.

These sugar fixes set hypos up for a roller coaster... If you do take one, be sure to get some protein or other "normal" slow digesting food in at the same time so that when the initial spike from the tab wears off you do not tank.

Think diabetic - blood sugar of 200, you take a little more insulin than needed and it drops to 20-30, you eat glucose tab and get it back up to 100... and like always your body will drive it back up to 200. For hypo - blood sugar of 70, you eat a small meal and it spikes up to 80 but your body released a little more insulin than needed so once the meal is digested it drops to 40-50 (not usually as low as a diabetic would). You take a glucose tab and it spikes up to 100.... and like always your body will drop it back down trying to get to your "normal" of 70... but that is a huge drop now and it can go too far and be right back down to 40-50, so you get the symptoms again. Rinse and repeat.

Oversimplified and probably scientifically wrong, but do some checking on medical sites and they will explain better why glucose tabs for hypos is not the best solution unless it is a real, true emergency (i.e 10-30). Otherwise, slower acting is better and will raise it back up to your 70 normal naturally, instead of spiking and lowering.