Options
124»

Replies

• mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Dating:

make a list of everything you want in a partner, then become that list and more - otherwise the person you fall in love with will be getting the short end of the stick.

Changing Your Life:

You can only ease yourself in for a few minutes before you have to just dive in. It's like jumping into the cold ocean, you just dive. Then you adjust the rest of the way once your hair and swimsuit are wet.

Finding Yourself:

The secrets are all in your childhood. Spend real time pondering your little kid self. Picture her. Follow her. Love her.

I love all of this! Especially pondering the child you were when searching for who you are, because aren't we all really still that little curious person we were, just with more baggage.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    "The way you do anything is the way you do everything and Character is what you do when no one is watching."

Helps me pay attention to the small decisions which, not surprisingly, makes the big decisions easier. Also keeps me from diving face first into a bag of chocolate.
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Best advise for weight loss: "Take. Progress. Pictures." You can't see yourself change like the pictures will show.

Best advise for life: "Sometimes all it takes is 20 seconds of insane courage." If starting the conversation is the hard part, starting is over in easily 20 seconds.

And, actually, I think they go together. Sometimes my weight loss key to success is 20 seconds of insane will power. Order the right dish at the restaurant. Don't pick up the candy bar in the check out line again. Go walk around the block instead of to the pantry for chips. Within 20 seconds, those temptations are over.

agree, especially about pictures. Sadly I was just too low on confidence to take a picture of myself in the beginning.

regarding the 20 seconds, I think it's a bit like a batsman; You only have to focus when the ball's about to come at you.
  • memlady
    memlady Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weightloss wise, a saying that has ALWAYS stuck with me is "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard."

This is fantastic! I want to write this on my bathroom mirror!

OMG I love this one!!!

• doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Best weight-related advice: You have to want to do this for yourself. Doing it for other people may get you started but won't keep you going when the going gets tough.

Best general purpose advice: Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't automatically make you right and them wrong.

Best love-life advice: Marry your best friend.
  • ellisboyd1
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »

Best love-life advice: Marry your best friend.

I'm in the process of doing that one :smile:

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever had in my life was from a co-worker in 1986: "Don't think about it, do it". It has worked for so many things.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You can't pay attention to what is in front of you, if you keep looking backward.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Inhale the future, breath out the past.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have been given is that expending energy today gives you energy tomorrow. I was told this by my ME consultant when I was a teenager and have found it to be true. So do exercise to gain energy.

Another thing I've learned is from Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures in which one of the main characters practises advanced laziness: the better condition your body is in, the easier everyday tasks like carrying shopping etc. feel, so he spends an hour a day exercising and is careful to maintain a healthy weight.

And finally, looking good makes you feel good, which makes you more effective. Not sure where I got that tidbit from but I certainly feel it works
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    "When someone tells you who they really are, believe them."
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    "If you think you can't, you're right".
  • taylorakc333
    Options
    The best I've ever heard honestly is eat less and move more. It's that simple.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Don't marry him again! (I didn't listen)....no there won't be a third!
  • ellisboyd1
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Don't marry him again! (I didn't listen)....no there won't be a third!

@Liftng4Lis There won't be a 3rd at all, or just not the same guy? Because you're going to get offers, I can assure you :)