Need to lose 18 lbs, can't seem to lose the weight

Options
I'm currently at 148lbs and I'm usually at or slightly below my calorie goal (which is 1480). I get at least 20 (usually 40) minutes of a mix of cardio and strength training everyday, yet I can't seem to lose the weight at all. I'm also trying to get back in shape for track in March, any food tips or exercise tips? (ps I'm a vegetarian)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? What are you age, height, and goal weight?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body gets used to doing the same exercises over and over. Have you tried to mix it up and do different things
  • slimndown2015
    Options
    Sometimes the plateau happens when hormones are imbalanced. I began bio identical therapy for slightly low thyroid and progesterone. The weight loss started to happen again after 5 frustrating years of trying to lose with no results.
    I also switched my work out to doing 20 minutes of interval on the treadmill, then some Callenetics or Ballet Beautiful. Starting to see some good results.
    Hope that helps.
    Best of health!
  • Cheriels82
    Cheriels82 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I had read in an article that sometimes when we plateaus and are exercising a lot that we need to take a break to change things up for our bodies. They recommended upping calorie intake by 10% for two or three days and not exercising those days. Then back to your program, I haven't tried it yet as I haven't plateaued yet.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, if you lowered your calories by 250 per day from what you're currently eating (or burned an additional 250, say, through 30 minutes of jogging), you'd lose about half a pound a week.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    At your low weight, it will be increasingly difficult to lose weight as fast as you already have.

I would recommend increasing your weight room time and decreasing cardio time. Spend 2x as much time in the weight room as you do on the treadmill. Emphasize muscle building.

Increased muscle mass will enhance your physique even if you don't lose any weight, which makes you look and feel thinner. Increased muscle mass will also increase your TDEE (calorie allowance), thus making it easier to lose weight while still eating 1,480 calories per day. You will not bulk up like a bodybuilder eating just 1,480 calories per day... science will pretty much guarantee that won't happen.

Other than that, you're doing fine, and it is simply going to take a long time to get any leaner, though it is definitely possible. Keep the 1,480 limit for another month, and if you don't lose any weight, knock it down to 1,420 to lose 0.5lbs per month.

At this point, slow and steady is both a safe and reasonable choice.

I would not incorporate a cheat meal until you get down to 21-22% bodyfat or less.

If you feel like cheating, skip breakfast, have a light lunch, and go crazy for dinner. Just try to keep to your 1,480 every day as often as you can. At your low weight, any "cheat day" would likely set you back at least a week or more.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    At 148 I highly doubt you are only eating 1500 calories because unless you are super sedentary, you'd be losing. You're eating more than you think.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    At 148 I highly doubt you are only eating 1500 calories because unless you are super sedentary, you'd be losing. You're eating more than you think.

Probably this. How are you measuring your food? Studies have shown that most people who estimate calorie intake tend to under-estimate quite significantly. I would suggest getting hold of a food scale and making sure you're inputing accurate data
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Probably this. How are you measuring your food? Studies have shown that most people who estimate calorie intake tend to under-estimate quite significantly. I would suggest getting hold of a food scale and making sure you're inputing accurate data

also agree
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? a week? or a couple months? Real results take time, not just days or even a couple weeks. If its been 2 months and you haven't lost any lbs or inches, then you have a problem. If that is the case then it means you are either underestimating your food calories or overestimating exercise. If you are really doing everything right then you just need patience.