Fasted Cardio

Options
Hi Guys

Quick discussion or a point if you like as to what has really benefited my fat loss over the past few weeks. Now There are multiple scientific studies that differentiate in results however I'm speaking solely on my own experience. Recently I bought an exercise bike and have added into my routine 20-30 minutes steady state cardio every morning as soon as I wake up. Now I'm relatively lean and in the past have found it difficult to shed body fat however after just a few weeks I'm seeing results I've never seen before. Now I know people may not want to wake up and exercise straight away but I'm thinking of incorporating going for a walk in the morning as opposed to cycling every day a substitute. What I'm interested to know is how effective other people have found this method and possibly any alternative exercise people may use

Replies

• TigerAlum09
    TigerAlum09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at doing this myself, but I recently read an article (can't remember where it was from...maybe Greatist...) that suggested either eating a small meal or exercising within an hour of waking up to boost metabolism. I don't do this myself as usually I have 101 things going on in the morning and either skip breakfast (bad bad bad, I know) or drink a meal replacement shake on the way to school, but it makes sense to me that it would work!
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Really no difference between fasted and non fasted if you look deep into studies. Soon as you eat your first meal anything that was used as fuel for that workout get replenished with the first meal. At the end of the day it comes down to whether or not in work for you and your schedule.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I can do some jumping jacks or swim, but running is out before I am well hydrated and fed and that takes several hours...running immediately after I've eaten is also a No, too. So, I run late.

Haven't really done it different ways enough to even say, "Yeah, it made a difference" or "No, it didn't make a difference."

• _jasoncrawley
    Options
    I will look into further studies of this method however I Plan to keep it in my routine as I'm definitely seeing physiological changes and mentally I feel as If I am more productive throughout the day
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I will look into further studies of this method however I Plan to keep it in my routine as I'm definitely seeing physiological changes and mentally I feel as If I am more productive throughout the day

That's what im saying man, if it works for you stick to it. Everybody's body is different, and responds differently.
  • kittkat100
    Options
    I used to work out first thing in the morning before consuming any food and the results were a lot more noticeable quicker. I read somewhere that when on "empty stomach" (i.e haven't eaten in 10-12 hours) you are burning fat and not carbs. I have no idea if this is true but I felt for sure something different was happening with this plan.
    For me the best thing about it was I felt amazing. Like I could take on the world. I had so much energy and a positive attitude. It is a nice way to start the day for sure!

I work a graveyard schedule now and still have not figured out where to place my workouts to get this same effect since now I don't sleep 8 hrs straight anymore.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    for me, I seem to perform better fasted when it comes to cardio. It's probably all in my head.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I tried to do cardio in the mornings for a while but it just made me really nauseous. To each their own I guess.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, walking 5 miles on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is much better than running 5 miles. If I run when fasted, I end up super hungry when I get home, but walking doesn't increase my hunger and cause me to overeat. I stopped doing cardio though because I want to have an "ace in the hole" when I get to the last 5-10lbs, and I'm losing enough for now just doing strength training and calorie restriction. As far as alternate exercises, I've had success with skipping rope as hard as I can for three minutes, rest, then repeat until I can't do it anymore.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Krueger92 wrote: »
    Really no difference between fasted and non fasted if you look deep into studies. Soon as you eat your first meal anything that was used as fuel for that workout get replenished with the first meal. At the end of the day it comes down to whether or not in work for you and your schedule.

this

but if it works for you - do it