What made you decied to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weighed 9 lbs when I was born 59 years ago; 65 pounds at the age of 6; 99 pounds at the age of 9..fast forward to 50 years old and 270 lbs. I believe I was at a normal weight for about 5 hours once in 1982 or 1983. I just got tired of being sick and tired and literally woke up on July 1, 2013 and decided I had enough....I stepped on the scale that day and have only stepped on it once after that for a pre op physical in Nov 2013 to fix a broken wrist. I am going to the doctor on Friday for a plain old checkup and will have to step on the scale then. I haven't decided if I will look at the number. I just don't know if I can deal with the number I see.... but I will say this much: almost 10 years ago (at my highest weight) I was wearing a size 26/28. Today I am wearing a size 4.
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    When a friend who weighed much more than I did was losing weight and about to weigh less than me. True story.

ROFL. I love your honesty @SuggaD !

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    (*) you know that moment in your life when everything sucks not even kidding EVERYTHING plus you got that other component like oh btw just in case it wasn't enough, here get in that scale and boom you are obese <3 !

so basically yeppp i picked the most awful i don't have any money/job/single/living abroad time to lose weight and i'm getting quite good at it must say.
  • karyabc
    Options
    meltedsno wrote: »
    I weighed 9 lbs when I was born 59 years ago; 65 pounds at the age of 6; 99 pounds at the age of 9..fast forward to 50 years old and 270 lbs. I believe I was at a normal weight for about 5 hours once in 1982 or 1983. I just got tired of being sick and tired and literally woke up on July 1, 2013 and decided I had enough....I stepped on the scale that day and have only stepped on it once after that for a pre op physical in Nov 2013 to fix a broken wrist. I am going to the doctor on Friday for a plain old checkup and will have to step on the scale then. I haven't decided if I will look at the number. I just don't know if I can deal with the number I see.... but I will say this much: almost 10 years ago (at my highest weight) I was wearing a size 26/28. Today I am wearing a size 4.

:#:# OK OK OK YOU DESERVE IT, STANDING OVATION FOR YOU!!!

PS: I laugh a lot in the being normal weight for 5 hours hahahhahhaa im the same!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound shallow but everyone has their reasons. First, last spring I couldn't button some of my summer shorts and I had never used "I'm too fat for my old clothes" as a reason to buy new ones before, and wasn't going to start now. Then last summer I visited a bunch of relatives and nine of them had gained at least 20 pounds each since the last time I saw them, and I just decided that I was not going to let getting older be my excuse.
    The shorts thing was silly, by the way. After losing 16 pounds, sure I can button my cheap cotton shorts, but I've had to buy new fitted work clothes and jeans, and the shorts probably shrank in the first place. I'm joking--I am thrilled with the loss and that I've reversed the middle age spread.
  • karyabc
    Options
    :s oh i forgot: and the warning signal for me was my panties didn't felt comfortable anymore/thinking one day 'huh i think they are cutting my blood circulation because my god they feel so tight'
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me, it was my one year wedding anniversary. My husband and I took and trip and the plan was to go horseback riding (which I love) when I called to schedule our ride, I had to lie about my weight because I was about 15 pounds heavier then allowed :( I jumped into MFP and Zumba and lost almost 50 lbs. I was able to enjoy a healthy pregnancy and I felt great. Now I'm working on getting toned and to my Ultimate goal weight. Best of luck to all!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Like some of the above posters, a number of factors:

1) Seeing myself in photos.
    2) Realizing I was growing out of my largest size jeans. One day, my husband even said he accidentally put on my jeans - he hadn't realized they were mine! DOH.
    3) Hearing my cardiologist tell me I needed to get more active.
    4) Tired of listening to myself complain about it.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Seeing the pictures of myself with my son on his first birthday. I decided that day that I will not want to crop myself out of the pics for his second birthday. His second birthday is in March, and I am nearly at my goal weight with a loss of 21kg (46 lbs) so far.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fear of death and pain before it. That kicked off the whole thing...eating healthy, exercising, whole bit.

The weight loss came as a by-product of the healthier lifestyle, though. I didn't adopt the healthier lifestyle just to lose weight.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In November 2012, I ended up in the ER twice. The 1st time was after a severe allergic reaction, but the 2nd woke me up. Had horrible abdominal pain on Thanksgiving, vomiting blood. ER was giving me pain killers, taking x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, even an ultra sound. They knew immediately that my gall bladder was infected & had to come out (so many gall stones), but there was a spot on the bottom of one of my lungs & my liver, and my kidneys & liver weren't functioning properly. I was 36 at the time--my grandfather went to the hospital for what would turn out to be bladder cancer when he was 35 & my brother had a stroke at 34, so I was a bit freaked.

The liver & lung things turned out to be nothing serious, but when you're sitting in the ER & the doctors are telling you all of these things within a matter of ours, it woke me up.
  • avocados9
    avocados9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight because I am tired of complaining about it. My boyfriend thinks i'm fine the way i am, but deep down inside I don't feel good enough. I'm tired of looking at the love handles hanging over my pants, and the fat on my thighs. I'm tired of comparing myself to other family members who are thinner than me, and feeling like i'm the one person who is heavier.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day and decided that i can't live like this every day. I wanted change. I cleaned my room, threw out the crap, the beer and started looking for things that will help me mostly in the net. That's about when I found MFP which is very helpful :)
  • ForBaacon
    ForBaacon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My dad passing away from a heart attack brought on by his weight. He weighed around 560lbs and his body couldn't function properly and eventually failed on him. I never want to get to that position, I never want to suffer like I saw him suffer and I want to make him proud more than anyone. I've had my ups and downs with weight and have only recently started to get back onto the healthy living wagon, but I do it all for myself and for him.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I let my weight creep up over several years while I was in college working a desk job. I wanted to do something about it but didn't know what to do. When I found MFP and realized how simple the weight loss process actually is that was the end of it for me.

Now that I know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it.
  • sarahrouselol
    Options
    It was my birthday and I had a hotel room with a bunch of people and I looked in the mirror and saw that I had stretch marks...I never had them before until then. I stepped on the scale when I got home and saw within not even year tht I gained 40 pounds
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I was tired of making excuses and convincing myself I wasn't getting fat, just wasn't "built" to be skinny etc. etc.

Load of rubbish, I finally had had enough - I was starting to look a bit fat by that point and very unhappy.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Watching the olympics made me want to be able to run 100m under 13s just one more time. Impossible with 40lbs extra weight!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I went for a routine check-up with the nurse in order to get my contraception prescription repeated and she told me I was borderline on the weight recommendation for that particular pill and if I wanted to stay on it, I needed to lose weight. She referred me to the weight management nurse, who has been very helpful. That kick started it for me, but ironically I would like to start a family at some point, so being as healthy as possible in preparation for that is my new goal.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't like how I looked or felt at my weight, which was barely overweight. I had been an athlete my entire life but took the season off from lifting/playing field hockey and had hurt myself while running - so I gained. I wanted to get back into fitness so decided to start lifting weights again and running a bit, then went back into playing field hockey again. I like feeling and looking more like an athlete.