Good qualified advice required

Options
Hi,

I commute to work every day by bicycle my problem is that now summer is here (I live in Western Australia) I find that my journey home from work is often difficult and laboured especially when the temperature is 30 degrees c and above (most days from now until March/April), in extreme cases I suffer energy drop thankfully though when only a couple of km's from home. Can anyone suggest methods to help combat this problem please...thanks

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you adequately hydrated? Your electrolytes may be dropping - do you drink water? Could you have gatorade or another sports drink?
  • colindp
    colindp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would think so I drink at least 3 litres a day and always carry water on my rides. In addition I usually eat a fat free yoghurt, hi fibre bar and piece of fruit about an hour before heading home.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I'd say it's more an electrolyte issue than a calorie/energy issue. I'd try a sports drink while riding rather than just water, while it is so hot.
  • colindp
    Options
    Right thanks for that
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I drink at least 3 litres a day" - no electrolytes in plain water (you can get electrolyte tablets which work out cheaper than sports drinks but worth experimenting with sports drinks for sure). Go by urine colour and frequency of urination not a set quantity of water a day for hydration levels.

"In addition I usually eat a fat free yoghurt" - odd choice for pre-ride energy food.

"Hi fibre bar" - another odd choice for pre-ride energy food.

"Piece of fruit" - that's more like it.
    (Is this a long ride? If not then pre-ride nutrition isn't really an issue.)

Agree with "alatariel75", could be electrolytes or could simply be heat exhaustion. Wearing appropriate cycling clothes for the conditions? Wicking material, pale colours....

• colindp
    Options
    Just a thought though, are there any diet friendly brands available as I'm trying to drop a few kilos?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Powerade Zero had no sugar but apparently the same electrolytes, doesn't taste too bad. Electrolyte tablets may be low calorie, i confess I've not looked
  • colindp
    Options
    Great thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try
  • colindp
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "I drink at least 3 litres a day" - no electrolytes in plain water (you can get electrolyte tablets which work out cheaper than sports drinks but worth experimenting with sports drinks for sure). Go by urine colour and frequency of urination not a set quantity of water a day for hydration levels.

"In addition I usually eat a fat free yoghurt" - odd choice for pre-ride energy food.

"Hi fibre bar" - another odd choice for pre-ride energy food.

"Piece of fruit" - that's more like it.
    (Is this a long ride? If not then pre-ride nutrition isn't really an issue.)

Agree with "alatariel75", could be electrolytes or could simply be heat exhaustion. Wearing appropriate cycling clothes for the conditions? Wicking material, pale colours....

Hi, yes doing all that in terms of appropriate clothing even in high summer I use wicking base layer and bright colours for visibility more than anything. As indicated I am trying to lose weight and my food choices have been influenced by nutritionist advice, urine is mostly pale and clear and I do tend to go very frequently. Ride distance is only 16km, I travel further in the mornings 19km with no issues at all averaging 30km/h, this is purely a heat sapping energy if the afternoon temp is a few degrees under 30 then all is well???
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    1) Stay hydrated.
    2) Wear appropriate clothing to wick moisture away and allow proper cooling.
    3) Slow your pace and/or take breaks along the way.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    colindp wrote: »
    Just a thought though, are there any diet friendly brands available as I'm trying to drop a few kilos?

Coconut water has electrolytes, it's 46 calories an ounce but you could get a resealable container and only drink as much as you needed each day. If it tastes wretched then you are hydrated, if it tastes absolutely delicious then you need to drink more (and more water.)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My first thought was sodium levels - increase them.

My second thought was that it's just plain hot, not much you can do about that but deal with it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    colindp wrote: »
    I would think so I drink at least 3 litres a day and always carry water on my rides. In addition I usually eat a fat free yoghurt, hi fibre bar and piece of fruit about an hour before heading home.

I still question sodium levels. All that water may actually be hurting your rides. How long is the ride home? Distance and time?

Also, those aren't really what I'd turn to for pre-ride foods. I'd focus on carbs/sugars mostly... rice crispy treats and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are my go-to foods.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sometimes no matter what you do, when its hot your performance will suffer. Just go slower and don't worry so much.
  • colindp
    Options
    Many thanks to you all, much appreciated. I reckon it's mostly just a heat issue, I have mentioned that I ride very well when it's cooler, just have to deal with it. Having said that I will try some of your suggestions and see how it goes.
    Thanks again.