Does anyone here love toasted sandwiches?

Options
I love toasted sandwiches with tomato and cheese. They are a guilty pleasure of mine, but at 500 calories a pop, I can't have them that often (I would usually have two at a time).

For those unfamiliar with toasties, they are two pieces of bread, spread with butter, then cooked in a toastie maker or a frying pan with something in the middle.

Other favourites are creamed corn, and I like bacon and egg with american mustard and tomato sauce. Yum!

What alternatives do you have? I like having tomatoes on toast (if the tomatoes aren't too ripe), but it's not really the same :(

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Now I want a 2 fried egg Sammy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2014/09/grilled-cheese-outside-in.html

I made something similar but with braised short ribs in it
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    500 cal isn't too bad. You could shave off some calories by spritzing the bread or the pan with buttered flavored spray instead of smearing the bread with butter. But if you want that crunchy toastedness that butter gives the bread then you could also take a little bit of the cheese (shredded) and sprinkle the outside of the sandwich with it and caramelize/crisp up the cheese to get that same effect. (look up "inside-out grilled cheese" if I'm not explaining the idea very well)

Also use lower calorie bread, and maybe add some kind of veg to make it more nutritious (or at least make you believe it is, and therefore lessen the guilt)
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    You could shave off some calories by spritzing the bread or the pan with buttered flavored spray

Hmm, not sure if we have that in New Zealand?
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Sounds dangerous oh my gosh. Must have sooo many calories lol. I'm sure it's delicious though.

By the way, nice bod ;-)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    You could shave off some calories by spritzing the bread or the pan with buttered flavored spray

Hmm, not sure if we have that in New Zealand?

It's like non-stick spray you spray in a pan to keep stuff from sticking to it, except butter flavored instead of flavorless vegetable oil spray.

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I do! My most favorite is a blt on rye bread, no mayo. It's plain but it's safe lol. If you make it yourself you can usually control the calories a bit easier. I also like grilled Swiss cheese sandwiches with spinach and tomato. I find that if I bulk up the sandwich with some veggies I don't have to add too much of the other stuff. I probably eat 4-6 toasted sandwiches a week but sometimes less, if I make them myself i toast the bread in a toaster and don't ise butter
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you can't still have this toasted sandwich, but with lower calorie components?

My bread is 90 calories for two slices, still have the tomato, have a slice of cheese for 100 calories, tbsp mayo for 100 calories, and use a calorie free spray "butter" on both of the slices in order to brown them in the pan.... 300 calories total. I make toasted sandwiches all the time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Sounds dangerous oh my gosh. Must have sooo many calories lol. I'm sure it's delicious though.

By the way, nice bod ;-)

20140923_182407.jpg
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think that's what I call "grilled cheese." It's been years since I had one and will probably be years before I have another, lol, but I do like them. :)
  • xstephnz
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why you can't still have this toasted sandwich, but with lower calorie components?

Maybe if I could stop at one. But I'm likely to want 2 or 3.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love them. Rarely have them. It's not really the calories, it's that they just don't fill me up AND have a lot of calories. I haven't figured out how to make a satisfying one for less than 300 calories (those 45 calorie slices are a joke for me, honestly, not satisfying at all), and then I'm hungry an hour later... And to be fair, if I'm going to spend calories on something that doesn't fill me up, it's probably going to be ice cream, a cookie, or chocolate... except on days when I really crave a grilled cheese sandwich.

I admit I'm jealous of all the people who can eat what they like within their calories and not go hungry.
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Less butter, less cheese and thinner slices of bread.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Last night I had scrambled egg, ham and cheddar cheese. I have done various meat and cheese combos. You might do a search for grilled sandwiches, panini or melts.
    If you use something like a George Foreman grill you might cut down or eliminate butter.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Looooove sandwiches. I'm not really doing sandwiches lately, but my all time favorite is some nice hearty wheat, honey mustard, sliced turkey, cranberry sauce, and brie cheese. Damn, I should've done this with the T-day leftovers. Opportunity wasted. :(
  • rbfdac
    Options

Maybe if I could stop at one. But I'm likely to want 2 or 3.

Hmmm... maybe cut them in half when eating so you feel like you've had two?? Otherwise, I think self control might have to rear his head :smile:

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Instead of spreading butter on the bread, just put a little in the pan and let the bread absorb it as it cooks. Or soften the butter first, then spread it very thin. It really takes very little fat to make a nice crust on the bread.

You can also mix oil with softened butter, then put it in the fridge, and it will be solid, but much softer than butter so you can easily spread it more thinly on the bread. I keep a mix of olive oil and butter in the fridge at all times just for toasting sandwiches or garlic bread.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Hmmm... maybe cut them in half when eating so you feel like you've had two??

I don't think that would work on me. I think I need to get used to eating small portions first. Then I can enjoy toasties again.

When I was a kid, we used to have toasties all the time, and my mum would stop making them once we were full. I must have at 3 or 4 at times. We were healthy weights back then as well.

I got a burger from Burger King today and put half in the fridge for tomorrow :)
  • rbfdac
    Options
    I
    Hmmm... maybe cut them in half when eating so you feel like you've had two??

I don't think that would work on me. I think I need to get used to eating small portions first. Then I can enjoy toasties again.

When I was a kid, we used to have toasties all the time, and my mum would stop making them once we were full. I must have at 3 or 4 at times. We were healthy weights back then as well.

I got a burger from Burger King today and put half in the fridge for tomorrow :)

The adjustment period shouldn't take long. I started this 111 days ago and going from probably 2700-3000 calories a day to 1600 a day was tough. I am now eating 1400 (trying to get the holiday weight off) with no problem. Get used to smaller portions and then make the lower calorie version of them and work them in to your daily calorie goals.

Great job saving the rest of the burger for tomorrow. Baby steps!
  • xstephnz
    Options
    I don't know if I mentioned it but I am quite fond of toasties with tomato sauce, american mustard, a fried egg and bacon. Mmm. Probably won't be having one of those for a while.