Does sugars in fresh fruit slow weight loss?

Options
I'm eating around 4 portions of fresh fruit a day (choosing from Banana, blueberries, apple, Pear, satsuma, kiwi fruit and pear) and by lunch time I am over the recommended daily amount of sugar according to MFP. Can this slow weight loss or it it refined (processed) sugar the problem. Any ideas?

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I eat about that much fruit per day as well. I've lost 124lbs so I don't think it's holding me back. :smile:
    I turned off the sugar tracker in my diary and replaced it with sodium. I was always over as well. I figure as long as it's not coming from Snickers or Ben and Jerry's I'm ok. Haha.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not the problem at all, neither refined sugars or natural sugars. It's excess calories that impedes weight loss. As long as you are within your calories, you will lose weight. I track fiber not sugar.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If most of your sugar is coming from fruit, don't bother tracking sugar. You can change what you track here: myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Going over on sugar is not going to slow weight loss. Your macros and micros are there to give you an idea of how balanced your diet is, meeting them is a good idea but it do not affect weight loss.

The only thing that affects weigh loss is your calorie intake and expenditure. CICO
  • ladycisbeautiful
    Options
    Wow, well done. I didn't know this could be switched off. I will look to do the same once I know how I'm trending. Maybe I'm being impatient as it is day 3 and not a 1lb has come off and I was looking for reasons. Thanks again
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done. I didn't know this could be switched off. I will look to do the same once I know how I'm trending. Maybe I'm being impatient as it is day 3 and not a 1lb has come off and I was looking for reasons. Thanks again

Give it time, and track everything as accurately as possible. It works!
  • ladycisbeautiful
    Options
    Thank you all again, I will definitely switch that off as it is quite distracting, as it made me think too much fruit was suddenly a negative thing :)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs out for weight loss. Patience grasshopper...
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Day 3 and you are impatient already? You need to find some patience quick. Just because you eat right and exercise doesn't mean its all gonna come off in a week.
  • ladycisbeautiful
    Options
    LOL thank you both, and all. This grasshopper will definitely find some patience and keep tracking accurately. I really appreciate your comments and support.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Can this slow weight loss or it it refined (processed) sugar the problem. Any ideas?

No. Calorie surplus slows weight loss. Enjoy your fruit :smile:

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Day 3 and you are impatient already? You need to find some patience quick. Just because you eat right and exercise doesn't mean its all gonna come off in a week.

reading you need to find some "patience quick" made me laugh
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat off eating apples. ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if sugar has any impact at all. I tend to doubt it.

When the experts talk about cutting back on sugar, they mean added sugars, not fruit. The right diet for one person may not be the right diet for another. What is right for you is something only you and your doctor can determine.