Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No, I never do.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after exercise I do, if I'm not, I don't. Sometimes I don't even make my base caloric intake for the day, and others I'll get eat nearly all of it back. If you listen to your body, it'll tell you what it wants to do.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Before I switched to TDEE, yes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Before I switched to TDEE, yes
    And again
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    Thank you everyone, looks like I need to look into TDEE a bit more.
    Did a quick calculation and its saying:
    BMR: 1354
    TDEE: 1862

So that means I should eat no more than the 1354 a day?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

No. Your BMR is the bare minimum amount of calories your body requires to keep your vital organs functioning.

Assuming the 1862 is WITHOUT anything subtracted, to lose weight you subtract 10-20%. 1676-1490 calories to lose for a low to moderate deficit. However, if you don't have very much to lose, you may need to do even less of a deficit, like minus five percent.

What was your choice of variable? Never Sedentary unless you do literally NOTHING.
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    I put exercise level 3 times a week.

I used this site: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If 1354 is the bare minimum then why does MFP tell me to eat 1200?
  • sonyambrown510
    Options

No. Your BMR is the bare minimum amount of calories your body requires to keep your vital organs functioning.

Assuming the 1862 is WITHOUT anything subtracted, to lose weight you subtract 10-20%. 1676-1490 calories to lose for a low to moderate deficit. However, if you don't have very much to lose, you may need to do even less of a deficit, like minus five percent.

What was your choice of variable? Never Sedentary unless you do literally NOTHING.

I am currently 71.5kgs and would like to lose 15kgs
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The main reason I exercise is so I can eat more! :smiley: nomnomnom I've lost almost 100 lbs in less than a year, so it seems to be working! Usually eat at least half back, if not more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I did the MFP method I did...as that is the way this tool is designed. Of course, I also checked my estimated burns against other sources and made an allowance for error.

Ultimately I switched to the TDEE method as I became very consistent in my exercise and it just made more sense to include some estimate of that activity in my acitvity level rather than trying to estimate it separately and log it...it also made planning my days out easier too...but really, if you're inconsistent in your exercise the TDEE method can be a detriment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I put exercise level 3 times a week.

I used this site: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If 1354 is the bare minimum then why does MFP tell me to eat 1200?

1200 is as low as MFP will go and is generally the amount given when the individual selects sedentary and then the most aggressive rate of loss (2 Lbs) possible. MFP is just a calculator...you still have to provide the brains.

I would further add that your BMR is also an estimate and is likely lower than stated above given that most calculators give you that number based on your total weight...an estimate that only takes into account your lean mass would be more accurate...if you're overweight, most calculators are going to inflate your BMR...you don't have to fuel fat, you only have to fuel lean mass.
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    Hmmm so maybe I need to find a happy medium ... Food for thought (pun intended) :)
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    You also made sure to put your GOAL weight the same as your CURRENT weight when calculating your TDEE, right?
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    No I put my current weight at 71.5kg ... let me recalculate
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    No I put my current weight at 71.5kg ... let me recalculate

The two numbers should be the same as your CURRENT weight. :)
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    You also made sure to put your GOAL weight the same as your CURRENT weight when calculating your TDEE, right?

Now it comes up at 1194 - so that would more closely match with MFP.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I eat back some, but not all. Check out this MFP blog entry: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more. Probably not the best way to do it but it does get me off my backside! lol. I go off what the machines at the gym say though and not MFP. I think 30 mins on the elliptical was coming out at 300 cals at the gym but 460 on mfp? Even then I don't eat them all if I don't need them but they're good to have in the bag if you're struggling. I'd say just don't eat for the sake of it just because you have calories left.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The main reason I exercise is so I can eat more! :smiley: nomnomnom I've lost almost 100 lbs in less than a year, so it seems to be working! Usually eat at least half back, if not more.

Glad it's not just me! Haha xxx
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method so it accounts for my activities in life (including exercise but also just being active daily - walking dog, doing lots of errands, etc). When I used the MFP method, I ate back 1/2 my exercise calories as my deficit was already worked out by MFP and I didn't want to under-eat...why not have as much food as you can while losing weight?