Slimming World

Options
Thinking of starting slimming world, finding it very difficult to loose weight. I love working out but just find it really difficult to diet. Any reviews or tips on slimming world???

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thinking of starting slimming world, finding it very difficult to loose weight. I love working out but just find it really difficult to diet. Any reviews or tips on slimming world???

Just did a quick Google because I had never heard of Slimming World before. It seems like a very expensive program, such as Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem.

My advice would be: Learn to prepare your own meals. Weigh and measure everything that you eat and learn what the proper portions are. Yes, it can be a lot of work at first, but you will get into a groove and it will get a lot easier as time goes on. It's certainly much cheaper.

The problem with meal plans like these, is that they don't really teach you how to eat. They send you food that is all packaged neatly in the proper portions. When you get to your goal weight, and you have to fend for yourself, how are you going to know how to properly portion your own meals? Do you know the weight of the cheese that they put on that loaded baked potato, or the exact amount of salad dressing that was in that little packet? Eye-balling little things like that can lead to a slippery slope back into weight gain. So then, you've spent all of this money, very likely a few grand when it's all said and done, and you've put the weight back on. Then you're back at square one.

It's not worth it. Just eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, and be patient. The weight will come off, if you put the effort into it.
  • DarHodg
    DarHodg Posts: 2
    Options
    ^Slimming world doesn't, or at least didn't when I did it 3 years ago, send you meals. You get a book with a list of foods and they each have a "syns" value. You get 15 "syns" per day. A kit-kat chunky was 7 syns, for example. They also add values for new foods on the website. They put a big emphasis on preparing your own meals from scratch.

They have different coloured days: Red, orange and green. Which day you follow is up to you but they each have restrictions. On all those days, green veg and fruit is "free", meaning you can eat as much as you want during the day. Red days are the meat days, so meat products have lower syns values but dairy has more. On green days, carbs have lower syns and meat has more. Orange days are a mix of red and green.

I did slimming world and lost nearly 3 stone, so it works but I put all that back on and more after I stopped and got comfortable in my life and now I just can't afford £5 a week just to get weighed in. I think MyFitnessPal is a better option. You can track the individual calories of what you're eating and see the actual real data instead of hiding it all behind algorithms and syns.

:)
  • NikkiLouise15
    NikkiLouise15 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    HI is there anybody who could work out the syns in my Graze Rough Blend Peanut Butter punnet please

131 kcals
    11g carbs
    7g fat
    6g protein
    2g fibre
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wow.... Labeling food as "syns", which is pretty much just a misspelling of sin? Just no... I prefer not to demonize my food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Wow.... Labeling food as "syns", which is pretty much just a misspelling of sin? Just no... I prefer not to demonize my food.
    Good catch.

• angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost 32lbs on slimming world a few years ago and there are people in my office doing it at the moment AND I follow loads of people on Instagram that have done AMAZINGLY WELL on it.

All diet plans work if you stick to them so it's just finding the one that works for you. I have also done well on Weight Watchers in the past (which is more like calorie counting which I prefer). The only problem I had with SW is their syns system is so complex it's hard to find the values if you're just browsing the supermarket. I also struggled with the lack of bread but you get to eat a lot more than most other diets!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

My advice is to save your money because to lose weight all you have to do is eat at a calorei deficit. You can try any diet you want but if you don't eat less calories than you burn you will not lose weight.

I lost 44 pounds by eating real foods, weighing food, logging calories in/calories out, and by staying within my calorie range. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, but I also weight lift and run and do other exercise, which helped my muscle tone, endurance, and strength.

I have been maintaining for a little over a year now, and it gets easier as you go along.