Ketogenic plan fail

Options
Hi I used to be on a ketogenic diet but after I was put on Metformin and had suffered side effects I decided to leave the program. However I still want to be on something like the ketogenic program but not so stringently since I think I need more than 40 g carbs a day. Does anyone have any suggestions and comments? Thanks!

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure your carbs come with as much fiber as possible. (Whole grains). Fiber slows digestion, reducing blood sugar and insulin spikes.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never followed any particular "diet" but I did start eating low carb. I set my macros at 15% carbs, 55% fat, and 30% protein. Depending on your calorie goal you may need to adjust. I would say anywhere from 15 - 25% would be a good.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    In for the suggestions- my doc has recommended I do 30 carbs a day but I haven't been able to get them under 60- am also on metformin- not for diabetes but PCOS
  • agatha306
    agatha306 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll work on your suggestions and let you know how it goes.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Because you're diabetic (i'm assuming with the metformin) you need to be working with your doctor on this.

Note that ketosis is possible under 50g carbs for most and up to 100g carbs for some, as you will be more sensitive to carbs I would guess you'd be around the 40-50g mark anyway. Keto may not be suitable for you at this time, as you've noted already, but something similar to paleo might be, it's hard to eat high carb on a paleo style intake.

Hey if you want to add me for any individual advice or anything i'd be glad to help, I've got qualificiations in diabetes nutrition & management aswell as nutrition & health, and diabetic nutritionl; so I might be able to help ongoing. x
  • agatha306
    Options
    blukitten I too couldn't get too far below 50 g per day.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling with getting below a certain level of net carbs it looks like you might just need to invest in more keto friendly foods. I'm sitting pretty at 5g net carbs today, and I'm not trying to be in ketosis atm. I'll probably max out at 8-10g net carbs, and I might have some berries later. Tons of avocado (i've already had two) and spinach/kale other greens. Foods really high in fibre & built on complex carbohydrates, also these are the foods that have a wonderfully low GI impact.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    My guessing is that keto levels are too strict for you. I think talking to your doctor, and even getting a referral to a dietician will help you learn about what your new way of eating should/could be. With diabetes, CloudyMao touched on this, you do have to be aware of the GI impact of foods and how to balance your meals.

I don't have diabetes so I can really only touch on the low carb eating aspect of this. I've done low carb totaling years now and was a huge adjustment to look at nutrition labels. The biggest shift was getting away from the attitude that fat is bad (and neither are carbs for those who might want to jump on me for that, however you do have a health problem that you do need to control your sugars). Dieting you might go right to the fat free/low cal dressing...however to compensate they add sugar to help the taste. Its okay to eat the full fat ranch. Its okay to get cheese on whatever you're eating. Low carb eating is basically setting your macros to high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. Now, that is also different...some might thinking anything under 30% of calories from carb is low carb. What will matter is how YOUR body reacts to it, especially with diabetes.

I guess I'm wondering why you consider it a fail or what the particular struggle is for you and for others? Just overall trying to find where to cut carbs?
  • agatha306
    Options
    I did not make myself clear earlier, but I am not diabetic. They gave me Metformin for its weight loss side effects. Unfortunately the myalgia side effect got in the way so I decided to discontinue and go on my own. But thanks for your suggestions!
  • agatha306
    Options
    I might ask their dietitian about this. She works in the same general clinic but not with the weight loss clinic. I'm also thinking of getting this low carb cookbook from Amazon and get some good ideas on the different foods that I can include in the plan.