weighing

Options
My scale sucks and luckily my dad works for a n excerise company so i can get weighed whenever i please wth accurate scales, but i was wondering...should i weihh only once a month? I get discourage easily with mine , i tend to weigh every day. What worked for you?

Replies

• chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Everyday is terrible...your body weight fluctuates through water,food etc. Too too much...big weekly myself,weekly at the most
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bi weekly not big...sry
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I usually do Monday morning, every week! Works for me :) It's often enough to keep on track but not so often that I get obsessed with the number x
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week is enough, since fluctuations are quite common within one week, depending on your exercise, how much you eat and drink and so on.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale only tells part of the story. And daily fluctuations can be REALLY frustrating!

For those reasons I also do Monday mornings--and record measurements monthly.

Sometimes when I'm having problems I might weigh daily and just keep the record on another app so I don't confuse it with the real thing,.

What is worse for me is that I am diabetic. So I also use glucose readings to regulate my carb intake. The holiday season just about did me in after I decided in a moment of insanity to just let myself enjoy with my friends and family! I am now "in recovery."
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily just for me. weekly is probably the best... frequent enough to make adjustments before much damage is done, infrequent enough to factor in normal daily fluctuations. Even then, don't fret over minor increases as long as you are true to your plan and it does not become a trend.
  • TCMacRae
    TCMacRae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    People who say weighing every day is bad don't realize that, for some, doing so allows them to gain a good understanding of what their normal daily variation really is. You just have to let go of the idea that each day's weight is the written-in-stone-gospel. Understanding daily variability is even more important if you are a heavy exerciser and, thus, your food intake levels vary greatly depending on the day's activity level. Daily weigh-ins allow you to see how different activity and food intake levels affect weight the next morning. I personally would rather have a greater understanding of the possible plus/minus error whenever I weigh myself than less.

I lost 38 lbs over the past year and did so with daily weigh-ins. I paid more attention, however, to 7-day averages than each day's weight. Weekly averages are more likely to represent true weight and are only possible with daily weigh-ins. I would not discourage anyone from doing daily weigh-ins as long as they understand the concept of variability and use them to track weekly averages.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was ever given was to not even be able to use the scale everyday. Seriously, put it away in your closet and only use it one time a week. Keep it in a place where you can not easily just step on it.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I 'officially' weighed myself once a week. I picked first thing Sunday morning (before I had eaten anything) and tried to wear the same outfit each time so there was less margin for error. No matter what the scale said I would log it and wait until the next week to see where I was.

I still looked at the scale on other days to see where I was going for the week but I tried not to put too much stock into it. I know that my food and water will contribute to small fluctuations throughout the day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing daily - it educates you about how how body naturally fluctuates. It's over reacting to a fluctuation that is the problem not the frequency of weighing. To me it's just data.

To me weighing infrequently just means you never know if the number just happens to be a low day or a high day so harder to spot trends.

In the end do what suits you, what is right for one person doesn't work for another.
    But if your scale sucks and isn't consistent get rid of it!
  • shelleyallsopp
    Options
    I am also on the daily weigher team.

I do have an "official" weigh on a Monday morning and that is the weight I actually record, but I also like to see the fluctuations of the week - especially if i have been out to dinner or have had a couple of drinks at the weekend.

Personally, it helps me to draw back if there is a gain and it just reminds me why I am doing it and that I still have 70lb to lose...

I guess it is down to the individual really. I have had my husband actually HIDE the scales so that I couldnt weigh myself, but it just did not work for me - I NEED to see the fluctuations. That is my personal motivation.
  • TinaLauritsen
    TinaLauritsen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, it's just easier to get the average that way, and I have the smart body analyzer from Withings, which makes a pretty graph for me :D
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I weigh once a month if I am lucky but I don't do it everyday
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I check my weight every 3 or 4 days. I only tend to log weight if it is lower than what I previously logged.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I only do a weigh in every week or so since it fluctuates so much. As well as the scales try to take body measurements every month, that way you'll know if your body shape is changing and not just keeping yourself focused on weight. Works for me.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I get very obsessive & discouraged too. So I only weigh once a month. Usually the first of every month, it's easy to remember that way.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Everyday weigher here.. I lost 25 pounds last year.. it helps me see the overall trends when I select the graph on MFP and set it to view the last 2 or 3 months progress. I love daily weighing.. As long as you know that daily weight fluctuates you will be fine!
  • jsrmpulido
    Options
    My dad wants me to ditch the scale for a whole MONTH! Since i do get discouraged easily and because my scale sucks. But idk if i am