Going vegan!

Hey fellow fitness pals, recently I have embarked on a high carb, low fat vegan lifestyle. I know what you're thinking, vegan, I can't do that, my food is so limited, it's so expensive etc. I have to tell you I was one of those people too, but after doing my research and following the vegan community I have learnt all about the way of eating and wanted to give it a go. I haven't been doing it long but after the christmas pig out I felt bloated and fat. I put on 7lbs in 3 weeks, it had k stop. Since going vegan for only a week I feel refreshed, leaner, less bloated and so much more energized. I really would recommend it to anyone, I think this is going to be the best thing I've even done... GO VEGAN!!!

Replies

• CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2015
    Welcome to the Dark Side! I have been vegan now for 2 yrs. love it, I used to live on cheese, it was a food group , but once you start eating healthy and whole plant foods it becomes easy to let cheese go. I also make my own vegan nut cheeses from the Non-Dairy Evolution cookbook found on amazon. Watching Earthlings and food Inc. Forks Over Knives is a great movie also, gave me the kick I needed to switch from eating animals to plants. So again Welcome. If worried about b12 there is nutritional yeast and plus animals don't make b12 they get it from the dirt, but more and more animals are in cafos they dont even get to see daylight most of the times so most likely they do not get the b12 from dirt either it is given to them by injections and vitamins and supplements.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The only loved-ones I challenge who are considering a vegan diet are teenagers and women who may bear children. Unfortunately, you hit both target groups. Here's my fear; B-vitamin deficiency and the consequences thereby.

Long-term neurologic consequences of nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in infants.

B vitamins are only effectively retrieved from animal fats. At the very least, will you take a multivitamin supplement with Folic Acid and the B-vitamins?

I have effectively deterred both my daughter and granddaughter from going vegan. Well, my granddaughter lasted two weeks. I asked what happened? She was craving meat. "Good, listen to your body" was my response.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    that is great. my cousins went vegetarian then vegan and that was 18 mos ago. they love it! it's very easy for them now, it took studying and learning recipes, but they have it down. i tried for a week but missed hamburgers. LOL
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    B12 can be supplemented with spirulina, nutritional yeast and if I'm not mistaken foods like Marmite and some breakfast cereals. Vegan for 2 years and levels have always been a-ok. I do however make sure my vegan kids take a daily multivitamin that has b12. Just in case. :)
  • Laurend224 wrote: »
    B12 can be supplemented with spirulina, nutritional yeast and if I'm not mistaken foods like Marmite and some breakfast cereals. Vegan for 2 years and levels have always been a-ok. I do however make sure my vegan kids take a daily multivitamin that has b12. Just in case. :)

I've been a vegetarian for two years and recently decided to go vegan. I told my doctor that I was going full vegan and they barely responded. I was worried because I'm pregnant and brought up worrying about b12 and they said the same thing. She was super supportive of the switch and said I'd get everything me and the baby needed as long as I paid attention, which is the same thing she tells omnivores.

Super excited to totally make the switch! My kids take vitamins too but they always have, even back in the meat eating days.
  • Georgiawoollin
    Georgiawoollin Posts: 13 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The only loved-ones I challenge who are considering a vegan diet are teenagers and women who may bear children. Unfortunately, you hit both target groups. Here's my fear; B-vitamin deficiency and the consequences thereby.

Long-term neurologic consequences of nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in infants.

B vitamins are only effectively retrieved from animal fats. At the very least, will you take a multivitamin supplement with Folic Acid and the B-vitamins?

I have effectively deterred both my daughter and granddaughter from going vegan. Well, my granddaughter lasted two weeks. I asked what happened? She was craving meat. "Good, listen to your body" was my response.

Hi there yes don't worry I'm taking a multi vitamin containing b12 and all viral vitamins I need. I don't think I will crave meat because I have been vegetarian for over a year, this has been a slow process to transitioning, I'm listening to my body now and it's telling me great things :)
  • Georgiawoollin
    CraigShift wrote: »
    Welcome to the Dark Side! I have been vegan now for 2 yrs. love it, I used to live on cheese, it was a food group , but once you start eating healthy and whole plant foods it becomes easy to let cheese go. I also make my own vegan nut cheeses from the Non-Dairy Evolution cookbook found on amazon. Watching Earthlings and food Inc. Forks Over Knives is a great movie also, gave me the kick I needed to switch from eating animals to plants. So again Welcome. If worried about b12 there is nutritional yeast and plus animals don't make b12 they get it from the dirt, but more and more animals are in cafos they dont even get to see daylight most of the times so most likely they do not get the b12 from dirt either it is given to them by injections and vitamins and supplements.

So far I'm not craving anything which is great, a friend even ate a slice of chocolate fudge cake in front of me today and I didn't feel like I wanted any, Yey! Just hope I can keep this up, I watched vegucated and food inc and it really opened my eyes to the cruelty that goes on around the world, people can life without these animal products so why do we kill and treat these animals with such cruelty? The only answer I can think of it for money!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member

i'm 28, and have successfully gone through an extremely healthy vegan pregnancy and I'm still breastfeeding a very healthy vegan toddler.

No matter your diet you need to make sure you're being careful in terms of nutrition. My mother eats meat and dairy and has a b12 and Vit D deficiency.

My son and myself do not.

I've been vegan for almost 8 years. think we are doing okay here.

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    FYI Vit b12 is pretty much fortified in everything. Read your ingredients and you will see.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member

i'm 28, and have successfully gone through an extremely healthy vegan pregnancy and I'm still breastfeeding a very healthy vegan toddler.

No matter your diet you need to make sure you're being careful in terms of nutrition. My mother eats meat and dairy and has a b12 and Vit D deficiency.

I had a b vitamin deficiency and slight iron deficiency while i was a omnivore. Some people have a harder time getting those from food. (I had/have some gut troubles)

Anyways, my doctor has me on a b complex vitamin and a chewable vitamin with iron.

She also recommended eating "total" bran flakes a few times a week. My levels are great now.

Just sayin' meat isn't nessisarily a cure all or ward against deficiency.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Here are some good places to get yummy recipes and other info.

http://allrecipes.com---I made vegan black bean soup. My family loves this. There is also a corn chowder that I made from this website.

http://theedgyveg.com

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com----I made the falafels and the pita bread. OMG, YUM! I never liked falafel until I made this recipe.

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/---I made the eggplant, potato moussaka with pine nut cream. My family loves this. Plus, I have 3 or 4 of her cookbooks and have made a ton of her recipes.

http://www.vegancoach.com---Good website, has a lot of helpful info.

http://fatfreevegan.com

http://theveganzombie.com---I've made his corn tortillas.

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Someone recently told me that Kaiser doctors are going to start recommending a plant based diet for all patients. I don't know if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    I love meat and dairy and can't imagine not having them in my diet. But, to each his own.
    When I see former president Bill Clinton on television these days, I can't get over well he looks since going vegan.
  • Georgiawoollin
    I haven't been to my doctor as of yet but I think in a few months I will go and get some blood tests done and see if going vegan has made me deficient in anything or wether it's all just a myth and I can get all the nutrients I need from plant foods
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    B12 is not even remotely a problem. It needs to be considered, like everything else, but it is not particularly difficult to get imo.

Well done OP, I am hoping to join you soon; I've been veggie for about 6 years and started to slowly cut out non vegan foods last year.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I haven't been to my doctor as of yet but I think in a few months I will go and get some blood tests done and see if going vegan has made me deficient in anything or wether it's all just a myth and I can get all the nutrients I need from plant foods

check out the veganrd.com its written by a dietician and 20 plus year vegan. He has good info on how to stick with a vegan diet long term.

Even though I am just a vegetarian, I am interested in this being a lifelong change. So I find veganrd really helpful to make sure I dont get deficiencies/burn out.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Yay, OP! Welcome to the fam! <3 It sounds like you're doing great on your journey! Stay strong - it's worth it. XXO
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Vegan is not a diet for weight loss. If you approach it as such, you are likely to fail. There are plenty of vegans on MFP with a lot of weight to lose. Oreo cookies are vegan...as is a lot of other "junk " food.

Be sure you're doing this for the right reasons.
  • Panda10767
    Panda10767 Posts: 2 Member

I've been a vegan for 2 years and had a healthy pregnancy and now have a healthy 7 month old baby. Being an omnivore doesn't mean you are getting all of your nutrients. I watched a documentary called Hungry for Change which talks about how people are eating all of these calories from food like products but their bodies are literally starving for nutrients. I do take a multivitamin though just to make sure I am getting all of my nutrients.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    giphy.gif

Good luck to you. I tried it once, and I failed so badly that I followed it up with Atkins-style ketosis for a year.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Good for you! I have gone vegan a few times and felt fantastic- allergies went away, no more unexplained muscle pain/fatigue etc... I always seem to fall off the wagon in the winter. I got spoiled by joining a Vegan CSA for the past few years- and the taste of the fresh fruit and vegetables was amazing (which made it super easy to be vegan May-Nov). I can't do grocery store produce anymore because its just not as flavorable. I keep wanting to freeze everything in the summer so I can get through the winter with great tasting, peak of freshness, produce- <sigh> but money and time have gotten in the way the past few years. I am comitted to doing it this year!