Breastfeeding diet

Options
I've previously lost 30 ilbs on MFP but am currently post partum. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for weight loss on a breastfeeding diet. I've been told recently that it'll be very hard to lose the weight while breastfeeding because my body will want to hold on to it.

Replies

• cynjo21
    cynjo21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding as well. My lo is 8 months. I still want to get rid of 10 pounds, but it's so hard when I'm hungry all the time!
  • kona1210
    kona1210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My little one just turned one and we are still going strong. One thing that has worked well for me is to drink a lot of water. I lost most of my pregnancy weight by the time he was 4 months old by just breastfeed and eating mindfully. Now I still have a little pug to loose. I'm also a dietetic technician so I naturally try to be careful with everything from food to exercise. But your body will eventually use that fat to feed baby don't worry about that but try to eat the best you can and drink lots of water to help nurse and cleanse your body!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    My wife said it was actually easy when she was breastfeeding our two boys. She called them her "little fat vacuums."
  • Lostcoastline
    Lostcoastline Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am finding it really hard to lose weight while breastfeeding. I think that some people have luck with breastfeeding and losing weight, but I am not one of those people. It is hard because of my appetite, and every time I try to cut calories I have a dip in my supply (I exclusively pump so I can measure supply).
  • kona1210
    kona1210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lostcoastline,
    Have you tried making lactation cookies to help with your supply. (http://www.justbreastfeeding.com/low-milk-supply/lactation-cookies-increase/)
    I tried them once and it was as if my body couldn't stop producing. Its worth a shot if you haven't tried this before if you have hopefully your body can adjust gradually with the new changes. Also I have noticed that pumping doesn't work as well, I know my son can get more than I can from pumping.

Good Luck :blush:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Figure out your calories and add in 500 for breastfeeding. Its Fine to be losing weight and breastfeeding. Lots of water. The breastfeeding should help, not have you hold on to fat..... just don't eat chips and dip while feeding. Its Hard when you're constantly busy with baby. Have those good foods cut up and handy so you can grab them with one hand when needed

Congrats on the new babies all!