Body image issues in your journey.

Options
Hi all! I don't really have anyone in my life who I can talk to about this stuff, I've kind of just been keeping it in, so I thought I would go ahead and write on here. I've lost close to 60 pounds on this journey & I was looking at pictures of me before, to now and in my mind there wasn't much of a difference, which I know is insane. I screwed my diet up over the holidays, which most did, but since Christmas my diets been on point, gave up drinking and I'm in the gym 5 times a week. I just feel discouraged at the moment, which sucks! But does anyone else have this issue?

Here's my picture ca45g44uagaa.jpg

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I see a difference. Sometimes when we eat holiday food it has a lot of sodium in it and we get water retention. Just keep plugging away, don't get discouraged. You are doing great:)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Your tums is significantly smaller and your bum appears more shapely. I can't really see your limbs too well in the second picture. I bet the 60 lb difference is more noticeable than these 2 pictures let on.
  • LaurenBaby17
    Options
    I feel the same way! I've lost about 20 lbs so far but I don't see any major differences, exceptt legs are more shapely. Everyone else tells me I look better but I just don't see it. In time, you'll see it. When you have to get new clothes in smaller sizes, you'll see it (:
  • goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but someone told me it's better to lose inches than weight, it's a long &slow process but don't give up your doing fantastic & don't get down on yourself for enjoying some holiday foods, we all do! ;)
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There is definitely improvement in the second one. I know when I am taking pictures I am trying to take them the exact same place and distance from the camera because that can make a big difference to. In the second one it looks like you are closer to the mirror which will in general make you look bigger so I think the difference is probably even more noticeable to people that know you and have seen you personally at both weights.

I have lost over 100 lbs and I still can't see a difference. I know numberwise I have definitely gotten smaller and I wear a smaller size(26 to a 14) but I still see myself as I was before. I really have no concept of my size anymore. I still take the widest path through any group of people and assume I won't fit into booths at restaurants. As awful as this may sound my husband and I have started playing a little game called "bigger or smaller" where I pick a random person that I think is about my size and he will tell me if they are bigger or smaller. It has helped me see myself as others do but I still don't really see the difference.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see the difference!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    wennim wrote: »
    There is definitely improvement in the second one. I know when I am taking pictures I am trying to take them the exact same place and distance from the camera because that can make a big difference to. In the second one it looks like you are closer to the mirror which will in general make you look bigger so I think the difference is probably even more noticeable to people that know you and have seen you personally at both weights.

I have lost over 100 lbs and I still can't see a difference. I know numberwise I have definitely gotten smaller and I wear a smaller size(26 to a 14) but I still see myself as I was before. I really have no concept of my size anymore. I still take the widest path through any group of people and assume I won't fit into booths at restaurants. As awful as this may sound my husband and I have started playing a little game called "bigger or smaller" where I pick a random person that I think is about my size and he will tell me if they are bigger or smaller. It has helped me see myself as others do but I still don't really see the difference.

Congrats on your weight loss!! Bigger or smaller, love it
  • llkemp
    llkemp Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi all! I don't really have anyone in my life who I can talk to about this stuff, I've kind of just been keeping it in, so I thought I would go ahead and write on here. I've lost close to 60 pounds on this journey & I was looking at pictures of me before, to now and in my mind there wasn't much of a difference, which I know is insane. I screwed my diet up over the holidays, which most did, but since Christmas my diets been on point, gave up drinking and I'm in the gym 5 times a week. I just feel discouraged at the moment, which sucks! But does anyone else have this issue?

Here's my picture ca45g44uagaa.jpg
    girl I can see a big difference, but I know what your saying I think most of us that deal with weight issues deal with this all the time. I know I do. over a life time of dieting I have lost and gained the same 75 lbs. and I don't think I ever look diferent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have lost 138 lb from my heaviest and I can tell you from my own experience that it's a mindf*** at times. When I got from 307 down to 270 I felt fantastic and NO ONE noticed a change at all. Then when I joined My Fitness Pal and gradually went from 262 to about 220, I saw no difference really in my own body during that time and everyone would make comments on "you look so skinny" and such, and I found it almost offensive and really weird to hear because I felt like my previous change from 307-270 was WAY more noticeable.

There also may be times that you feel awkward or almost like you're going through puberty all over again because things fit weird and you are not sure if you even know how to buy a bra or jeans anymore, because of the changes. Be ready for that. Turn it into an NSV instead of a problem, even when it's kind of hard!

Anyway the bottom line is you look so much stronger & leaner, and it's just going to get better and better. You may not wake up a month from now and look exactly how you want to look. But I bet in a couple of months, and definitely in a year or so... you will be so glad you stayed the course...that's what really matters!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yes.

it takes a lot longer for your brain to lose the weight so your perspective shifts too. Just continuing to expose yourself to your new lifestyle and your new reflection will help.

but keep reminding yourself that a healthy body image is NOT handed to you with your goal weight. You have to actively work on that as it's own project.

Best of luck!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or hurt, but in my 20s, I lost 60 lbs the wrong way. It was quick and not safe, and I never really saw the difference. I went from a 14 to a 4 and I was still seeing myself as a 14, hiding under baggy clothes, refused to wear a swimsuit, etc. Sometimes, our brains are our worst enemy. You look great and congrats on the loss!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can see a difference. Personally, I know where you are coming from. I sometimes look at myself and see nothing. I think it is because my mind was/is still used to seeing a person 90 lbs heavier. I take pictures all of the time and I have even created a "journey" flip movie with my photos so I can see the progression. That has helped tons!

Good luck and keep with it!
  • hisvoice143
    Options
    wennim wrote: »

Congratulations on your weightloss! And thank you :)
  • hisvoice143
    Options
    I have lost 138 lb from my heaviest and I can tell you from my own experience that it's a mindf*** at times. When I got from 307 down to 270 I felt fantastic and NO ONE noticed a change at all. Then when I joined My Fitness Pal and gradually went from 262 to about 220, I saw no difference really in my own body during that time and everyone would make comments on "you look so skinny" and such, and I found it almost offensive and really weird to hear because I felt like my previous change from 307-270 was WAY more noticeable.

There also may be times that you feel awkward or almost like you're going through puberty all over again because things fit weird and you are not sure if you even know how to buy a bra or jeans anymore, because of the changes. Be ready for that. Turn it into an NSV instead of a problem, even when it's kind of hard!

Anyway the bottom line is you look so much stronger & leaner, and it's just going to get better and better. You may not wake up a month from now and look exactly how you want to look. But I bet in a couple of months, and definitely in a year or so... you will be so glad you stayed the course...that's what really matters!

Thank you! Congratulations on your weightloss!!
  • hisvoice143
    Options
    Thank you all so much! It's amazing to have people to talk to about this! You're all so awesome!! Keep up all your good work & thank you so so so much for being there to help me out, even if it doesn't seem like much!
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You have all of us to talk to, you can see your results. Keep up your good work. o:)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh YES there is a definite difference between the 2 pictures.

Our brains are such funny, contrary things.....sometimes we notice tiny differences in ourselves, if it was me I will pick up perceived changed that I might view as imperfections or faults way more quickly than I am likely to acknowledge/see positives. Maybe you are having this happen for you too, I hope not, but it is such a bother.

Also, over and over I see where others have mentioned that they too suffer with their brains taking a hellova lot longer to catch up mentally with physical changes that come with weight loss.

You are doing fabulously, you have made many remarkable changes and I am sure you are going to bounce back from this brilliantly. All the best and Well Done!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Thank you! Congratulations on your weightloss!!

Thanks! I have so enjoyed your thread.