Jullian Michaels Detox Water

adreal
adreal Posts: 229 Member
Has anyone tried the Detox Water? I was thinking about just seeing what it would do. I am not usually one that likes to try "fad" things but this looked interesting and I do have some times where I bloat a lot. I also know this isn't a long term fix but just wanted to hear from the population if this is worth my time.

Thanks
Andrea

Replies

• jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Please send me $5, then have a nice glass of tap water. It'll have the same effect. Your wallet will be lighter, and you'll gain some hydration.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Lol... "Detox Water"... I wish I came up with this stuff, then I could be rich. but I have a conscience and don't think I could bring myself to fleecing people out of their money.
  • adreal
    Lol. It is actually mostly water and I usually drink quite a bit of water through out the day and still can't seem to get on a good down ward track of loosing weight. Came across this and thought about mixing it up. Just didn't know if anyone had tried it.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    "Detox" anything is bunkum, unless you're in the hospital doing chelation therapy, and then you're really really sick. Anyone who tries to promote "detox" anything should have anything they say looked on with suspicion.

If you like flavored water, if it gets you to drink more water, then have flavored water.
    But don't think you're doing anything for your body that plain water won't do.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

"“Detox” is a case of a legitimate medical term being turned into a marketing strategy – all designed to treat a nonexistent condition. In the setting of real medicine, detoxification means treatments for dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or poisons, like heavy metals. Detoxification treatments are medical procedures that are not casually selected from a menu of alternative health treatments, or pulled off the shelf in the pharmacy. Real detoxification is provided in hospitals when there are life-threatening circumstances."

51637601.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    heh, wut?

Lose weight by eating less. Detox via chelation therapy.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    I have been making a Jillian Michaels recipe I saw on Pinterest made with Dandelion tea, 2 Tbsp of cranberry juice and the juice of half a lemon. I wonder if it is the same thing. I have not noticed any detox effects but it tastes good and gets me to drink more water.
  • dbmata
    have you ever tried eating dandelion greens?
  • adreal
    I was just looking for something different. I am not one to try any fads. I like to eat too much, that is why I am here. I don't like to replace anything for eating real foods. @jfp420 That is exatly what I am looking at. Just thinking about trying something different to drink and didn't know if it would actually do anything.

@dbmata I am pretty sure I have never eaten dandelion greens.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    adreal wrote:
    It is actually mostly water and I usually drink quite a bit of water through out the day and still can't seem to get on a good downward track of loosing (sic) weight. Came across this and thought about mixing it up. Just didn't know if anyone had tried it.
    60 oz distilled water
    1 T 100% pure cranberry juice (no sugar added, non-cocktail)
    2 T lemon juice
    1 dandelion root tea bag

It probably won't hurt you, but other than filling you up (like plain water would do) it won't do anything special to help you lose weight. And the recipe even says that all it will help you lose is water weight.

Losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than your body burns.
    It's really that simple.
    As many people have found out, it's not necessarily easy to have the self-control that takes, but it is that simple: calories in < calories out.
  • dbmata
    adreal wrote: »
    I was just looking for something different. I am not one to try any fads. I like to eat too much, that is why I am here. I don't like to replace anything for eating real foods. @jfp420 That is exatly what I am looking at. Just thinking about trying something different to drink and didn't know if it would actually do anything.

@dbmata I am pretty sure I have never eaten dandelion greens.
    You should try it, they're very tasty. In early spring those and fiddle head ferns are a treat.
  • adreal
    @mkegal You are absolutley right. I am not looking for a magic cure to weight loss. Just some times before my monthly it might be nice to get some of that bloated feeling to be gone. I know it isn't a "get rich quick" scheme just didnt know if this was something that others had tried or if it was going to work. I am all about eating and working out. Those are the proven ways to lose weight and to keep it off.
  • adreal
    I guess it is almost like me drinking Emerg-C every morning. I don't know if it will really help me not get sick or if it is just a huge boost of Vit C but I still drink it because it is something different other than just water.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    meh, don't throw money away. The cranberry/lemon/dandelion tea posted above will work for you and save cash!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I wish I had known about dandelion greens years ago.
  • adreal
    I have never heard of them before. What do you do with them and where do you find them?
  • Tricia884
    Tricia884 Posts: 4 Member
    I make myself a hot water, honey and cinnamon drink which I have 1/2 hour before breakfast and bed
  • dbmata
    adreal wrote: »
    I have never heard of them before. What do you do with them and where do you find them?

Store, or the garden.

Use them like lettuce in a nice little vinagrette.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    This is a nice 'quick take' on the subject.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/trends-fads/is-detoxing-really-a-myth

tldr: There's plenty of evidence that some food compounds help liver function.

But I wouldn't spend on JM detox water.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Dandelion root is a diuretic but so are other things. You might drop some water weight temporarily. It certainly won`t detox anything.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    As @freddoyle says, dandelion root can have a diuretic effect, so you'll pee more, maybe lose a little water weight. I drink dandelion tea sometimes, particularly after long drives or flights, as I tend to get really puffy around the hands and ankles. But as a detox, nope.