Is it worth me hiring a personal trainer?

Options
I was approached at the gym today by a personal trainer who asked if I would be interested in a session, to which I replied no. This is purely for monetary reasons as I already pay £30 for the gym each month. He said he could do a free first session to see how I feel and do a session once a month to help make a plan and track progress without having to pay each week.

This is the first time in a few months I've been into the gym, as my friend and I have decided to try and run 5k for the race for life run.

I'd like to be able to improve my running, and maybe a personal trainer could help see if I am running correctly/at the right pace and also help keep me accountable?

Does anyone think this is worth the £20-30 per session, or is even that a waste of money?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In my experience, generally yes.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have never used a trainer but plan to do so when I get closer to my goal. I would only approach PTs who were recommeded to me or if I saw evidence of their work. I don't think they are all created equally. I think that you should do a search for trainers that specialize in helping people with similar goals to yours. Maybe this PT is good, but I'd get referrals first. Good luck.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also, you can see if a PT will give you a reduced rate for a group (you and your friend).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would be completely lost without my trainer. But for just training for a 5k - I wouldn't bother - just use the Couch to 5k program and you should be fine. But if you want to go beyond that a trainer can be so useful! I would have no idea what to do in the gym. And he pushes me to do so much more than I would do on my own!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I pay $35 a session for my personal trainer and I go once a week. Totally worth it.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and have had one for over a year. She is worth every penny I pay. Simply put for me, I need someone to hold me accountable. I need that extra push from someone "checking in" on me. For example she sees how many times I come to the gym and will question what I have done outside the gym for exercise. Oh and I need someone to call me out if I am "phoning in" a workout.

Also, I like that she has built a plan for me that targets specific areas.

You could also check your gym to see if they have group fitness classes if you don't want to use a trainer.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, I love him. We do strength training and he takes me out of my comfort zone into different things. I like that.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    For running, no. Weight lifting, yes.
  • bhick6
    bhick6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've used a personal trainer for years, as long as you can afford it then it is worth it in my opinion. I have some physical limitations due to medical issues and my trainer incorporates so many different exercises into my routine that I would never think of on my own. Like the others have said, she holds me accountable and she is very encouraging and motivating. Definitely money well spent. I pay $25 for a 30 minute session (and we often go for 45 minutes) and I meet with her twice a month. I'd love to do once a week but this is what I can afford.
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good trainers are seriously worth it.

My trainer moved :'(

Since you see this trainer at the gym, watch him train other clients and talk to the clients. They can tell you the experience they have had with him. Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For what you've described as your goal - no, absolutely not. I can pretty much guarantee you that trainer will give you a plan that has nothing at all to do with your goal.

You want to run a 5k? Look up "Couch to 5k," aka C25K. That will tell you pretty much all you need to know about pace and whatnot.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Agree with others, for running I don't think it's going to be worth it. If you want to lift weights or even do circuits it's a great idea if you can afford it and find someone good. I'm on my second trainer in about a year and 4 months and have improved my strength, stamina, stability and aches and pains from old injuries more than I ever imagined I could.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yes.

You dont have to buy a whole person.

You can just think of it like your hair or getting your nails done.

You can do those things on your own anytime you want, but sometimes you want better quality to make up for some months of slacking, ya know?

Spending a session or two with a trainer will freshen up your routine, correct any problems that developed and spark your creativity as well as put a confident new bounce in your step.

Then you can go back to doing things on your own until it's time for a little extra TLC.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would only hire a trainer to build muscle. I dont see how a trainer would know the appropriate pace for you as that is something only you would know when running. In my opinion, there is no correct way to run. Just run.
  • docsandy
    docsandy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the right PT is well worth it. I combined a PT with a training app... iPT , lol 5K or C25K (Couch to 5K). Work with the trainer to design an i-program. The trainer can see you every couple of weeks or so to monitor your progress and correct your form or administer a swift kick in the butt if needed.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on the trainer. I got 2 free sessions with one when I joined a gym and she was definitely NOT worth it. She texted while I did the exercises, lost count frequently and there were huge time gaps between exercises while she thought of what to get me to do next. I would have been paying her for her time and she would have spent a good chunk of it not focused on bettering my health and fitness. Apparently she had university training in the fitness field but she had a really hard time designing a program that worked with my knee injury. She was not worth it.

I do group classes instead. I find it helps me get a rounded workout and I can get weights and resistance training that way too.

If you want to try a personal trainer, watch them with other clients first and pick one whose work speaks for itself. They can help you get to your goals faster and more effectively but in the end you have to carry that work forward.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am a very thrifty (aka, cheap) person, and I found it worth it. Yes, the costs is a lot (for me it was $1/minute), but he did a great job building up my strength and working with me on my goals. I was a complete noob at everything, and he gave me a great base to build off of. Unfortunately, my hours were cut at work this month, so I had to cut him. But as soon as I'm back to full time working, I plan on starting up again. However, if it is worht it or not will depend on your goals.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a few things.

1. What's your training experience / knowledge?
    2. What type of education / certification does the trainer have? Certifications from the NSCA and NASM are two of the best, not saying others aren't good but those I know are two of the best.
    3. How good is the trainer in applying what he / she knows?

The best thing you can do is look at their education / certifications and hope they know how to apply their knowledge to your needs. It's kind of trial and error but if you at least know their background you're halfway there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If it were just for running, I personally would just check your form and give you the advice for free. Running (unless you're a competitive track runner) doesn't need much coaching since people are going to have gaits that even the most focused people won't be able to change much due to habit and repetition.
    As many have said, trainers are usually more for physique improvement. I will say that I have lots of clients I only meet with once a month to work with on a new program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I LOVED my trainer and I used her to improve my running. BUT, we never ran together. She helped me build a strength routine to make me stronger so my running would get better. For your 5k purposes, I'd say not worth it. I agree with others, look up the C25K app and do that. Then after you get the running bug, you can utilize a trainer to help you gain strength for longer/faster runs