Three months lowfat :-)

Options
Cinderella_82
Cinderella_82 Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
Hello everybody here, today is day five of my three months eating lowfat. I try to eat a maximum 20% kalories in fat. On sportdays a bit more like 30% is ok.
I try to loose about 20 lbs and getting more shaped.
Anybody here with a similar goal? Perhaps we could motivate us a bit. :-)

Replies

• Salem291
    Salem291 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi .. I'd like to join u in your journey if u don't mind :smile:
  • Cinderella_82
    Options
    Hi Salem, welcome :-). What's your goal?
  • Salem291
    Options
    My goal is to be 165 lbs and lose 30 lbs In 3 months, so basically 10 lbs each month so I think the low fat idea would help me do that especially my body accumulates fat very easily and I need to be active in order to burn all that calories which I call them demons lool
  • Cinderella_82
    Options
    Salem291 wrote: »
    My goal is to be 165 lbs and lose 30 lbs In 3 months, so basically 10 lbs each month so I think the low fat idea would help me do that especially my body accumulates fat very easily and I need to be active in order to burn all that calories which I call them demons lool
    *lol* that's a funny name for them... Do you do a lot of sports additional?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you all calorie counting and eating at a defecit ?

You can "low fat" as much as you like but if you don't eat fewer calories than you use you won't lose weight
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP recommended nutrition breakdown, which is 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat, 20% protein. I'm pretty sure 30% fat is not low fat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Body fat does not specifically come from dietary fat. Any calorie in surplus of your body's needs will be stored as fat. Also-- 10 lbs/month is super aggressive, unsustainable weight loss. You will lose a lot of lean mass, unless you're morbidly obese.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You didn't ask for advice, but I'll give it. Feel free to disregard.

I would encourage you to stick closer to 30% of your diet from healthy fats (those are things like olive oil, coconut oil). Fat is important and helps you stay fuller. If you want to lose weight the key is to look at overall calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First 10 lbs will be fine to loose in the beginning. Low fat is good way to a achieve some weight loss but you do need fat in your diet and you want to be able to sustain the weight loss when you lose it.

I try not to concentrate on low fat. It is really about "calories in calories out". And I do setup MFP to have a certain number in mind for carbs and fat and protein. But I guess I try to simply the calculations by saying a calorie is a calorie.

If I am at a deficit I will and do lose -- period. I will still sustain a healthy fat, carb and protein diet. But a calorie deficit is a proven fact for me!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with dietary fat. Your body needs it to work properly. Stick to the MFP percentages, eat at a reasonable deficit....and you will lose weight.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure what OP's purpose is of having a low fat diet if the goal is just weight loss. A caloric deficit is what is really important but is better if those calories come from carbohydrates and proteins than fats as fat has more calories per gram than either proteins or carbs. Hitting certain macros may help with specific body design or health issues. I take in much more protein than recommended as I'm trying to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible while I lose weight and makes it easier to stay under my caloric deficit while keeping me much fuller throughout the day. The MFP recommended 30% is considered a low fat diet and 15% is considered super low. Very low fat diets are typically harder to maintain in general. The focus should be on getting a balanced diet of healthy fats, proteins and carbs while ensuring you meet your daily nutritional needs.
  • Cinderella_82
    Options
    Thx, for all your input... I know there are a lot of different arguments for eating more or less fat but in the end everybody must choose the way it worked for himself and I already now that lowfat works really good even if I eat more calories than MFP says. It gives you the advantage that your body don't starting burning less calories after some weeks.
    Just by eating low fat I lost about 2 lbs per week.
  • Salem291
    Options

Yes I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and usually my working out is between 2 to 3 hours
  • Cinderella_82
    Options
    Really happy... What a positive result. Lost 5lbs yet. :)... 15 to go
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and usually my working out is between 2 to 3 hours

Why would you work out for 2-3 hours at a time?
  • Cinderella_82
    Options
    Anybody else who want to join? :)