Runners-Whats the coldest youve ever run in?

Options
Just curious. I'm in Houston and it only freezes a handful of days each winter. Whats the coldest you run in your area? Do you run in the snow?

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I can only do down to about 30 degrees F and even that is pushing it. Since I normally run at night, I never run in the snow because its too difficult to see the ice.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I avoid snow/ice, but as long as there is daylight I will run outside. Coldest I ever did was -10f. Really wasn't all that bad, hat, gloves, tights, and two layers on top.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My coldest was last Saturday. It was -32 with the windchill and I lasted about an hour. I was going to go Sunday but it was -41 and I think that was where I had to draw the line.

I have to run in snow otherwise I wouln't run 7 months out of the year lol

I always run in the dark since I go out at 5am and it doesn't get light until well after 8am at this time of year.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm new to outdoor running but I live in upstate NY and about a week ago it was 12F, felt like 2F and I ran with my running group. Though, today and Monday our runs were canceled because of the snow, windchill and temps being too low.

edit: yes I run in the snow, not while snowing (yet at least) but it snows from Oct-Apr here so if I don't run in the snow I lose have the year.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ran last night in Portland ME. Ice. I think it was 10F.
    I had 2 layers on top, tights, light gloves, a headband that I removed
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    My coldest was last Saturday. It was -32 with the windchill and I lasted about an hour. I was going to go Sunday but it was -41 and I think that was where I had to draw the line.

I always run in the dark since I go out at 5am and it doesn't get light until well after 8am at this time of year.

My jaw seriously dropped while reading this. You are a BEAST! Hats off to you!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    65 degrees. Seriously. I can't stand the cold weather.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    3 with windchill of -15. Tonight will be fun when it is 10
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    21 degrees (without wind chill). I ran yesterday and it was 23 and snowing...3 inches of snow on the ground. It was...interesting.
    I can tolerate the cold up to a point. When it gets into the single digits or teens...it almost steals your breath away...
    I'm probably going to run on the stupid "dreadmill" tomorrow because there is ice on the roads, trails and sidewalks so it's just not safe/smart to run...the temperatures are fine in the 20's but running on ice strikes me as slightly foolish.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Minnesota and I ran all winter. I do not remember running in weather that was below 0 degrees F, but I probably did -- otherwise I never would have run in January. You just dress for it and once you start moving you are warm. Some of my most memorable runs have been in the bitter cold and heavy snowfall. (I've also lived in Chicago and Rochester, NY.)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Holy crap...#beastmode!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just layer. It gets cold here but not super cold. I think I did a run in 19 degrees. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I deal with rain all of the freaking time. So on days when it is 40 it is raining, windy and feels much colder but I still love the run.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »

My jaw seriously dropped while reading this. You are a BEAST! Hats off to you!

lol I'll still take that weather any day over the treadmill or track.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    -3 degrees C, once.

once.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I ran in -10F a couple days ago and actually got too warm.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I start to wheeze.....I just cant, esp in the winter with exercise induced asthma........I had it when I was a kid, and have to watch it......I can handle about 32 and thats it......lol, Im from Texas and were just NOT used to this cold.......ha ha

Happy New years to all.......Lloyd
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    8* when I lived back on the east coast. I run in high winds (sometimes over 40MPH) and rains (live in the PNW) and I'd take the snow and frigid temps. over the darn high winds!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    + arrar. Are you in Edmonton? I've run in -22C (-7.6F) but I also chose to run indoors when we dropped to -40C.

Yes, I run in the snow. Snow is safer than ice. I wear cleats on my shoes. I wear thermal under-gear with another layer on top of that, jacket, balaclava, toque, and mittens.

By the way, cold running does have it's advantages. I over-dressed for my indoor treadmill and I was pouring sweat.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner - but think about this: X-country skiers go around in -20 C. I did ridemy bike to work today in -18 C and a lot of wind.

I have some Strava friends that run at those temperatures. I think they mentioned windblocking base layers including briefs :)
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    65 degrees. Seriously. I can't stand the cold weather.

LOL, this is me, but I was proud to have gone down to about 45. I'm originally from Mississippi, live in Virginia now and I headed to the treadmill/track back in October. Wimpy wimpy.