Runners-Whats the coldest youve ever run in?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I am such a big baby. I can't run unless it's at least 50 degrees. I prefer the high 60's to low 70's, though. My max temp is low 80's, but then I perform poorly and have to carry water, so that's no fun.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    -3F, with a -15 windchill but that's about my limit.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    The hardest part I find running in VERY cold weather is figuring out the layering. If I dress to be warm right away, I am overheating a few miles in. But if I dress for being warm a few miles in I am frozen at the beginning.

My solution is to just suffer at the beginning and make my own heat. If I have to I remove my gloves and just carry them.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    -8 and like some other poster stated...i still got hot
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    0F in Finland on packed snow no ice, 25F in the uk (10F with windchill) on snow/ice. I prefer the dark with street lighting as I can see the black ice and avoid the tumbles. Stride shortens though on ice and snow, more up and down, less gliding
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    -20 Celsius, not by choice as was in training...
  • About 10F. Layered up and stretched before so felt fine. Lungs and nose burned a little is all. I hate running in warm weather. I overheat and turn red for hours.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    For me, my lungs don't like anything below about 15 F (mean)...about 0 F (Wind Chill). The rest of me is okay with it, but if its colder than that, I'm coughing for a good 2 hours after I'm done. Also, my core temp drops so badly after I'm done, that I have to take a HOT shower and bundle up under mounds of blankets just to keep warm!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    You guys would laugh at the way everyone is freaking out in Houston. HARD FREEZE warnings. Its currently 58 degrees and forecast to drop to 29 tonight. Its all over the news! lol
    Well you guys have made me feel better about running in the cold :) I suppose I would do the same if I lived in a place with harsh winters.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    15F is my limit. Lower than that, and it really aggravates my asthma. Give me 40F and sunshine though, and I'm out the door in shorts!
  • shawna48
    shawna48 Posts: 15 Member
    I run outside only if it is above freezing. Preferably above 40F. The cold makes me feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest the whole time, it's miserable. I watch a lot of movies while running on the treadmill during winter.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    About -30 Celsius. Any colder and you could risk damaging your airways.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    -8 and like some other poster stated...i still got hot

really?? interesting
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    I ran in 5 degrees with no wind and it was alright. I won't run if it's below zero and a double eff no if it's windy - windchills are some serious stuff
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    28F was the lowest and I will run in snow. I'd rather run in snow than in rain, unless it's 80F and raining.

There's an arctic blast going on outside right now. Thankfully, it's a lift day and not a run day.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    aarar wrote: »
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    aarar wrote: »
    My coldest was last Saturday. It was -32 with the windchill and I lasted about an hour. I was going to go Sunday but it was -41 and I think that was where I had to draw the line.

I have to run in snow otherwise I wouln't run 7 months out of the year lol

I always run in the dark since I go out at 5am and it doesn't get light until well after 8am at this time of year.

My jaw seriously dropped while reading this. You are a BEAST! Hats off to you!

lol I'll still take that weather any day over the treadmill or track.

Preach. If there was an indoor track somewhere around me I'd WAY rather do that than run on a stupid treadmill :(
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Shoot-t-t-t, Don't mess with runners, ask swimmers.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    -22°F with windchill. I'm sure our Canadian and Scandinavian friends have encountered colder, but when there's ice on your beard when you get home, that's plenty cold enough -

1558595_10151800147851010_1502302225_n.jpg?oh=91a59aaf10aaf2ab1f09951aa8885acc&oe=5532B212
  • Treadmills work really well in cold weather. My father just got one from Dick's on sale and delivered for about $600, and it does incline, too. It takes up some space, but it will keep you from getting frostbite, having a really hard fall on the ice, or getting run over by a car out of control on the bad roads.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    You guys would laugh at the way everyone is freaking out in Houston. HARD FREEZE warnings. Its currently 58 degrees and forecast to drop to 29 tonight. Its all over the news! lol
    Well you guys have made me feel better about running in the cold :) I suppose I would do the same if I lived in a place with harsh winters.

Honestly I perform better in colder temps than hot ones. Out here in the Mid Atlantic we get MISERABLE/muggy summers (if you're in Texas, I'm preaching to the choir)...I cannot tolerate the heat/humidity. I get winded and dehydrated very quickly and my muscles cramp.
    I'm a native Montanan so I'd much rather run in the cold.