The old cliche, no time....what's your advice in this scenario?

Options
I've lost weight 12 times over the last 17 years ( which means I've gained weight 14 times). One of the several reasons I've always quit, despite losing weight, is an absolute resentment of the time that exercising and eating right takes on my life.
Example day:
5am-6:45 wake up, eat, get ready, lunch packing for husband and self( yes, most things already prepped in Tupperware, some last minute additions, too)
Travel
7:15am-5:30pm workday, lunch ab workout
Travel
6pm-7:00 work out
Travel
7:30-8:30 cook, eat, shower
9:00pm bed

I had exactly one half hour to myself each day to chill, just before bed. I had zero social life. And if I did choose something social, then my fitness got the cut. My entire life was work, workout, shower, bed. This, coupled with several other things, always caused me to quit my weight loss journeys.
Now......add in a baby. Other than being a weekend workout warrior, what's the solution? When would I workout?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    There are 7 minute workout apps out there. You just bust your butt during that time limit with some good exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Same schedule as you, so I started to get up at 4 a.m. to get to the gym.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You dont need to go all out... Why are you doing 2 workouts? Do your abs with your evening workout, or do your full workout at lunch instead. You dont need to work out every day and certainly not right at the start. How about 2 days a week you do an hour workout, and do "active" stuff on the weekends for a bit (hike, mall walk with friends to socialize, bike ride etc).

Can you sneak soem exercise/activity into things you already do? Walk or ride bike to work or store. Take baby out in stroller for walk/jog with friends who have babies.

How about picking ONE thing (2 formal workouts a week, healthy breakfast and just being more active in general instead of formal exercise) and making that a habit first. Once that is just part of your normal day, pick the next thing and add it in/replace something.

If you watch tv at all, stretch on the floor or do some light stuff while watching. Play with the baby (push her up and down in the air instead of doing pushups).

Biggest issue you have is trying to do EVERYTHING starting all at the same time. Work your way up to things, and see where you can use what you are already doing differently than you currently do things. Do prep work on sun nights for foods, allow yourself quicker options for lunch but work on breakfast or dinner first, etc.

You have "travel" in there... driving? train? if driving, do glute squeezes or bring a dumbbell and alternate arm curls. If train, go to the back and do squats or something (who cares what you look like). The point is, if you think about it you can find ways to work in extra activity without formal exercise. Even desk exercises - youtube has a series called "youcube" with cube workouts.

Heck, just get a fitbit or other step counter and start out by getting your current average steps over a single week, then spend the next week (and the a little higher the next) just trying to beat that average every day.

You know, Rome not built in a day... Ditch the "all or nothing" mentality.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah, here's the truth: Its an excuse and you need to stop making it. I'm a single mother and professional. I'm up before 5 every day, and go to sleep at around 11-12 sometimes (often later and sometimes I have to pull all-nighters). I workout at least once almost every day and have a great social life. In addition to my career and being a mom, I'm always learning something new on the side (this year its knitting and Spanish). I used to make the same excuse, but two years ago, realized I just had to stop making excuses and do it. Anything worth having isn't easy and takes hard work and perhaps less sleep.

To answer your question....I usually work out in the early morning. If a second workout is happening, its immediately after work), and I have fun while being active on the weekends.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you must work out in order to lose weight. And there's no reason you need to work out for an hour or even go to the gym. You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. Eat less than you burn. It really is that simple. The difference between a day when I'm sedentary and a day when I work out is only about 200-300 calories. 400 if I work out twice. Yes, working out is good for other things, but it certainly isn't necessary for weight loss.

However, I notice you have time to do an ab workout over lunch. If you really want to work out, just do it at lunch. A quick full-body routine can do wonders for a person's physique.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    According to your profile, it's going well...I typed out a huge bunch of advice but it does not sound like you need it.
  • snoweduponberries
    snoweduponberries Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, harsh. So I guess, as a single mother, you also work 10.5hour shifts every day like me? And you're telling me you sleep less than four hours a day to "make it happen", because, according to you, you're up before 5am every day to work out. I suppose I could eliminate sleep, too, what was I thinking, eight hours?! I posted this under the group "support and motivation", so thanks for being a super human and shaming me for not.
    And this isn't an excuse - I DO workout, I'm looking for a way to make doing it easier. If you take a look at my profile, I've just lost 78lbs in 155 days. I'm not some slob making excuses to not workout.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    You dont need to go all out... Why are you doing 2 workouts? Do your abs with your evening workout, or do your full workout at lunch instead. You dont need to work out every day and certainly not right at the start. How about 2 days a week you do an hour workout, and do "active" stuff on the weekends for a bit (hike, mall walk with friends to socialize, bike ride etc).

Can you sneak soem exercise/activity into things you already do? Walk or ride bike to work or store. Take baby out in stroller for walk/jog with friends who have babies.

How about picking ONE thing (2 formal workouts a week, healthy breakfast and just being more active in general instead of formal exercise) and making that a habit first. Once that is just part of your normal day, pick the next thing and add it in/replace something.

If you watch tv at all, stretch on the floor or do some light stuff while watching. Play with the baby (push her up and down in the air instead of doing pushups).

Biggest issue you have is trying to do EVERYTHING starting all at the same time. Work your way up to things, and see where you can use what you are already doing differently than you currently do things. Do prep work on sun nights for foods, allow yourself quicker options for lunch but work on breakfast or dinner first, etc.

You have "travel" in there... driving? train? if driving, do glute squeezes or bring a dumbbell and alternate arm curls. If train, go to the back and do squats or something (who cares what you look like). The point is, if you think about it you can find ways to work in extra activity without formal exercise. Even desk exercises - youtube has a series called "youcube" with cube workouts.

You know, Rome not built in a day...

+1...great advice!

Losing weight and staying fit is about doing what you can to maintain over the long haul. If you're burning yourself out by trying to fit a workout in (more like 2 it sounds like) everyday, and then just quitting because you get so stressed, you're not really helping yourself.

HIIT is great if you don't have a lot of time. There are plenty of 20 minute workouts you can do and really bust your butt.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, harsh. So I guess, as a single mother, you also work 10.5hour shifts every day like me? And you're telling me you sleep less than four hours a day to "make it happen", because, according to you, you're up before 5am every day to work out. I suppose I could eliminate sleep, too, what was I thinking, eight hours?! I posted this under the group "support and motivation", so thanks for being a super human and shaming me for not.

Not sure how new you are here... but a random person on the internet is not capable of shaming you unless you allow it.

The best approach on here is to ignore the posts you dont like, and get whatever you can out of the others.. life will be happier :). I notice you didnt comment on the helpful suggestions... ignore tone - read content, ignore what you dont like or doesnt apply. Even harshly worded responses can have some good info in them. Take it!

78 pounds in 155 days? That is 0.5 pounds per day? no wonder you burned out! Slow it down! 1-2 pounds a week!
  • snoweduponberries
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Yeah, here's the truth: Its an excuse and you need to stop making it. I'm a single mother and professional. I'm up before 5 every day, and go to sleep at around 11-12 sometimes (often later and sometimes I have to pull all-nighters). I workout at least once almost every day and have a great social life. In addition to my career and being a mom, I'm always learning something new on the side (this year its knitting and Spanish). I used to make the same excuse, but two years ago, realized I just had to stop making excuses and do it. Anything worth having isn't easy and takes hard work and perhaps less sleep.

To answer your question....I usually work out in the early morning. If a second workout is happening, its immediately after work), and I have fun while being active on the weekends.
    And this isn't an excuse - I DO workout, I'm looking for a way to make doing it easier. If you take a look at my profile, I've just lost 78lbs in 155 days. I'm not some slob making excuses to not workout.

• AngMarie13
    AngMarie13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration. This isn't my first time bouncing back from my current weight. I have 2 kids and work 40 hours a week. For me, I look at my time at the gym as "my alone time". Even if I'm only there for a quick 30 minute run, it's my stress reliever for the day. On days I just can't fit in a gym trip, I make sure I eat a little better. I would try to find a few work outs you can do at home on days you just don't have enough time. That will eliminate your drive time to/from the gym.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Do you have a chance for like 15 minute breaks at work? I know some places you can and some you can't. If you have stairs in your building try going up and down a couple of times during your break if you can. If you don't, can you go outside and just walk around the parking lot a few times? That is a quick and easy way to add some activity to your day. I also find it makes me less likely to want to snap someone's head off. :D

Oh and try Pintrest. They have lots of 7-10 minute work out plans that could help.

Good luck! Finding time can be hard. Luckily I have a pretty good job that lets me have a more flexible hours.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Are you working 10 hour days every day or 4 days/week?
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise sacrificing sleep, that's not good for you at all. Maybe you could try home workouts so you don't have to find time to get to a gym. And with a baby, you need some sanity too so don't put too much pressure on yourself! Sounds like you've done great so far.
  • snoweduponberries
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ya, the responses are popping up quicker than I can acknowledge them!! Most of the advice is superb! Especially, aylajane! And yes - though I've been using MFP for a bit now, this is my third day in the MFP community, and my first post - so I appreciate the advice. The negative response was the VERY FIRST response I was directed to, and I was shocked.
    I'm sorry to the group at large for showing my upset like that. And again, the advice so far has been awesome!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

You said: "I've lost weight 12 times over the last 17 years ( which means I've gained weight 14 times). One of the several reasons I've always quit, despite losing weight, is an absolute resentment of the time that exercising and eating right takes on my life." So you said you have made the same excuse repeatedly. I'm not trying to be unnecessarily harsh, but you already recognize that there is an issue preventing you from reaching your goals and maintaining. Congrats on the current weight loss, but how is this time going to be different? Isn't that the reason you made this post? Well I'm telling you, the only way this time will be any different is if you make it different, and the only way to do that is to stop making the same excuse that caused you to fail 12 times. Sorry if that is harsh, but its the truth.

I hope you figure things out so that this time is the last. Cheers.
  • yogaticha
    yogaticha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to only workout once a day and to include some outdoor family fun on weekends if you feel the need to workout 7 days a week. However, your body does need rest. Over exercising does cause stress. Other than that,i t seems like you are doing what you need to do.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The phrase that comes to my mind is the adage of "abs are made in the kitchen", the whole idea being that, while both are valuable components, what you eat can have a much larger impact on weight loss than going to the gym. It's remarkably easy for anybody to "undo" the additional burn from a workout with a quick trip to the snack cupboard.

So I'd say that, if you don't really like either side of that coin, it's probably more important to find a way to make peace with eating right because anybody will likely find it easier to not go to the gym for a day than to not eat.

How long is your "lunch ab workout"? You can't spot-reduce, anyway, so it might be possible for you to find a more whole-body workout you can do in the same amount of time that would let you free up that 6-7 PM block. Plus, because you do it at lunch, you won't feel as much like you're losing family or personal time.

• snoweduponberries
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wrote:
    you said you have made the same excuse repeatedly. I'm not trying to be unnecessarily harsh, but you already recognize that there is an issue preventing you from reaching your goals and maintaining. Congrats on the current weight loss, but how is this time going to be different? Isn't that the reason you made this post? Well I'm telling you, the only way this time will be any different is if you make it different, and the only way to do that is to stop making the same excuse that caused you to fail 12 times. Sorry if that is harsh, but its the truth.

I hope you figure things out so that this time is the last. Cheers.

Sorry, having trouble learning to quote properly.

This time is different. You can read my blog to see how awesomely different it is. Those weight losses were all pre-baby. My 78lbs current loss is post baby, while staying at home, no real workouts, simply calorie counting (and breast feeding). I'm looking for a game plan for when I have to go back to work.
    Most other replies have been very constructive. I love the idea of these 7minute workouts, and when/how to squeeze in extra workouts.
  • snoweduponberries
    Options
    I wish I could 'like' or 'up vote' so many of these replies! It's funny how sometimes all you need is another set of unbiased eyes to look in on your situation. Can't see the forest for the trees, but you all see both!