Anyone else embarrassed to start going to the gym in January?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    to be honest, I'd be embarassed that I waited until january.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.

But to everyone else, thanks. I was just being silly and needed a few seasoned gym goers to reassure me I was being silly.

... Also, I wish people actually thought *more* than they do. There are some idiots out there so I think I'll keep using my brain. But thanks.

you'll keep using your brain to prevent yourself from doing things that would improve your situation? seems counterproductive
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    LOL just go. I am sorry to laugh. This thread was made into so much more than it needed to be. I actually just read through a post about "gym noobs" So I understand why you would feel the way you do. WHO CARES what people think? Those people don't experience your health or fit into your clothes.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I was letting it prevent me from doing anything. I just re-read my post and I never said anything about being too scared to go or not going or anything remotely like that. I just felt a little embarrassed and wondered if anyone else felt the same way. People are judgey. That's all.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    LOL just go. I am sorry to laugh. This thread was made into so much more than it needed to be. I actually just read through a post about "gym noobs" So I understand why you would feel the way you do. WHO CARES what people think? Those people don't experience your health or fit into your clothes.

Thank you. It's worth laughing about, I was feeling a little dumb and then I asked a bunch of internet strangers about it which was even dumber...
    It's all good now. :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think it’s all in your mind because those who attend the gym are there for the same reasons, either to lose weight or some other form of fitness. I never felt embarrassed because I feel those people have better things to do than waste their time on me. Seriously, there are only so many directions a person could look while working out so even though it appears people are looking at me, chances are they have other things on their minds. Besides, who would know if you are a new comer unless you tell them?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Being a "resolutioner" I guess. Serious gym people seem to look down on"resolutioners"... I know that's not a rule, most people are cool, but I have seen people here on MFP make fun of them. And I just never considered myself to be one of those people but then I ended up being one of those people. I'm disappointed in myself and I guess I'm projecting that on others.

that's mostly just the people who were new last year, struggling to find a way to declare that they are some of the few that made it to the new new year.

But instead of saying, Look! I am still here! I have fought for (about) a year and am still moving forward!, they point at new people.

that sounds self-obsessed and many have not yet realized that it's totally cool to praise yourself for doing good work - so to avoid tooting their own horns - they roll their eys, groan and say a little louder than necessary - Gawddddddddddddddd now we have to deal with the rushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuh. It puts them in with the veterans, this opportunity to share 'fitness problems'. It's fun to moan and groan and feel like youve been on the other side of the fence for a lifetime. They are just getting used to not being noobs anymore and it certainly isnt personal.

Wanna know what the veterans really think when someone new starts working out at their gym?

Another soul on the side of good. [/fistpump]

serious gym-goers are actually the ones that look down on no one and criticize only their own performance.

<3
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Nope. Who cares when you start. Seriously, you paid your gym dues in dollars now go earn what you have spent in sweat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    to be honest, I'd be embarassed that I waited until january.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.
    Precisely why I did it in May. I realized it was folly to wait for some irrelevant and easy to ignore "resolution" period.

I'd be very upset with myself if I robbed myself of good living because I waited.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    I didn't intentionally wait until January. It just happens to be January when I found that I was really ready again. It's not like I sat around for six months on my butt because it wasn't January yet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I didn't intentionally wait until January. It just happens to be January when I found that I was really ready again. It's not like I sat around for six months on my butt because it wasn't January yet.

i probably would have, while whinging about how I hurt all the time, etc.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight and started looking good, getting compliments in the gym...then I had stresses and ballooned back up. Yes I was at first embarrassed to go back in only to show my failure...4 months later now and I'm back where I was and striding further...you'll be fine,just a little bump
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You should be worried about your form. You should be worried about what is on your workout list for that day. You should be worried about hitting your lifts or cardio goal.

what you should NOT be worried about is anyone else.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    I lost a lot of weight and started looking good, getting compliments in the gym...then I had stresses and ballooned back up. Yes I was at first embarrassed to go back in only to show my failure...4 months later now and I'm back where I was and striding further...you'll be fine,just a little bump

Thank you! I think you might be the only one who actually got what I was saying. :)
    Congrats on getting back on the horse and killing it! (The weight, not the horse...)
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Yeah i have had people come up to me whilst working out and give me compliments i found it quite strange tbh lol.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    dwolfe1985 wrote: »

Yeah i have had people come up to me whilst working out and give me compliments i found it quite strange tbh lol.

My gym is rather small and in a semi small town...you run into same people everyday and get chatting...no biggie...good to be noticed for progressing and working hard imo
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a year and I feel your embarrassment, ha ha! It's strange, as I know no one is looking at me, no one cares and no one notices, but I felt a little on edge.

It's funny, because when I meet someone else's eyes across the gym - even though we're both regulars on head-nodding terms since Fall - we both kind of have this strange look like "you know, I'm not just one of those people here for a month and gone again, you know me."

It's not like we're looking for reassurance actively, it just... seems to have a different feeling.

I find it really funny, as going to the gym for me is a routine and helps me manage my stress, but I have noticed that with all the new people in the gym, I feel a bit more uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I feel like I have to make a good first impression, or maybe it's just getting used to new faces.

I don't know why I feel embarrassed or self-conscious, either, but I find it neat to notice that I do. Makes for good subject for post-workout shower philosophizing.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Being a "resolutioner" I guess. Serious gym people seem to look down on"resolutioners"... I know that's not a rule, most people are cool, but I have seen people here on MFP make fun of them. And I just never considered myself to be one of those people but then I ended up being one of those people. I'm disappointed in myself and I guess I'm projecting that on others.

Then don't just stay for January, show up several times a week now until Dec 31st, then you will be a 'usual'. Honestly, there are no many newbies, no one will remember you. But once you keep going, you'll be seen as a 'usual'

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, true enough. If you're a regular in a class, a gym, a pool, it's lovely when there is nobody there and January can be a really tough time because you don't get the freedom or mobility of your workout that you had when it was empty. But BIG DEAL. You pay your dues. You want to do it for you. And honestly, when the people who drop off in a few weeks start to drop off, you'll be well into a routine and so will everybody else. It's yours too. Nobody will know or remember when you started. Go for it! :)