Treadmill (aka: dreadmill) running :(

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I can see it being an issue if your run dynamics aren't perfect - but that doesn't mean everyone should stay away from them.

Running is only hard on your knees if you don't do it correctly, which is also what could lead to treadmill-related injuries.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    All you can do is sack up and hop on the hamster wheel.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I can see it being an issue if your run dynamics aren't perfect - but that doesn't mean everyone should stay away from them.

Running is only hard on your knees if you don't do it correctly, which is also what could lead to treadmill-related injuries.

Are you seriously disputing that running is hard on the knees? *smh*
  • glevinso
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Yes. I am.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If at all possible you actually want to stay away from treadmills forever! Treadmills do not mimic running at all. The treadmill does all the work for you. Your glutes and hamstrings are being forced backwards by the treadmill. When running your hamstrings and glutes force you backwards. So the only ting you are doing is slamming on your joints. Just like roxiegirl said earlier, she says it hurts her knees for some reason. Makes perfect sense. The best thing to do if you cannot run outdoors is ride the stationary bike or do an elliptical machine. These are great cardio exercises! Good luck!

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

While I agree that treadmills do make running easier than running on a firm surface, the bolded statements are complete BS. I do the majority of my running on a treadmill (during the summertime I mostly bike however...hate running outside by myself), and am in pretty dang good shape for the "treadmill doing all the work"

Anyways.......

Music!! I would DIE running on the treadmill without my music. I like mostly rock, metal and some dance/hip-hop/rap. Keeps me pumped up and feeling energetic.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I put it on a slight incline (level 2-3) and that helps my shins. I walk for 5 minutes before really getting started. Oh, suggested to me by a MFPer... if I get bored, I do a tempo run. 2 minutes at 5mph, 2 minutes at 5.3, 2 minutes and 5.6, on up until I reach my max. then I'll slow it back down and start over. I find that adjusting my stride/speed every 2 minutes alleviates some of the boredom. Just as I get used to it, it's time to adjust again.

Oh... and a great playlist.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If at all possible you actually want to stay away from treadmills forever! Treadmills do not mimic running at all. The treadmill does all the work for you. Your glutes and hamstrings are being forced backwards by the treadmill. When running your hamstrings and glutes force you backwards. So the only ting you are doing is slamming on your joints. Just like roxiegirl said earlier, she says it hurts her knees for some reason. Makes perfect sense. The best thing to do if you cannot run outdoors is ride the stationary bike or do an elliptical machine. These are great cardio exercises! Good luck!

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Fascinating. So all the actual running coaches are wrong about using treadmills for their olympic and professional runners?

Both my ortho and physical therapist told me to stay away. They are tired of seeing me for treadmill-related injuries and told me that the treadmill is hard on the knees. I mean, running is hard on the knees. Saying treadmill is hard on the knees doesn't mean you can't become an Olympic or professional runner on the treadmill. Big disconnect there.

Funny world. My Orthopedist told me to SWITCH to a treadmill.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to run outside but I have recently started to learn to enjoy the treadmill since it is extremely cold and icy here in MN. I listen to movie and watch shows but I have recently started to work on heart rate zone training which I have started to love. Varying the speeds to reach and maintain different heart rate zones really breaks up the monotony of the treadmill and I've found that 40-60 minutes goes by rather quickly now! Good luck.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is extra-tough because it forces you into the same gait over and over. Here are the things I do to help physiologically:
    -build up mileage all over again--I can't go from 15 miles outside to 15 miles inside overnight
    -rotate between two pairs of shoes, different kinds if possible
    -switch up the speed and incline, even just one or two bumps every so often

As for psychological factors, I cover up the display and usually watch music videos on YouTube. They work for timing intervals without allowing me to fixate on the treadmill's little green numbers. Those evil glowing demons.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why everyone hates the treadmill so much?? I have a current addiction to the show Homeland, but I will only will allow myself to watch while I'm on the treadmill, I've logged A LOT of km's in the past few weeks!! :)

It's minus 32 degrees Celsius here today with a foot or so of snow...no thanks, I'll stay inside and gorge myself on Homeland!

I certainly prefer to run outside when I can. But yea I don't get the hate for the treadmill. It is a tool that allows you to get your run training done when you can't or shouldn't be outside.

I am the same. You can always listen to music or if possible catch up on some re-runs when running on the treadmill. It's also great for HIIT workouts.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I like it, actually, because of the ability to control climate and be right near my shower when I'm done. My wonderful man mounted a TV to the wood beams in the basement and I watch movies when I run. Usually I choose a series of movies like Twilight or something so that there are a few in a row to watch. It works well for me. I don't have a box for cable in the basement, but I have a google play thingy that I could hook up to it and stream from my phone if I chose. Although I like to use the treadmill, I have to say I could not stand it much without TV or at the very least music. Watching TV is the best, though...it helps a lot.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Any advice on running on treadmills? Is there anything I can do to make it less miserable? I mean...I find I'm in pain more often after running on the treadmill than I am running outside...I just wanted to know if it's my form or if there's anything I can do to make it more tolerable?

1. 1% minimum incline.
    2. Do NOT hold on at all, except to get on and maybe when changing the intensity, for a second.
    3. From time to time, check in on your posture (shoulders back and level without hunch, head forward and tall, hips over feet, no leaning). Many running stores these days will film and critique your running for you to make sure you're minimizing injury.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Yes. I am.

Have to agree. If you're dynamics are right, proper shoes, and don't try and do too much too soon, running is fine.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You need to move. I can't imagine living in a place where the treadmill had to be an option through winter AND summer.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If at all possible you actually want to stay away from treadmills forever! Treadmills do not mimic running at all. The treadmill does all the work for you.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/four-great-treadmill-workouts

This link agrees that treadmill running uses different form than running outdoors. Your feet land differently outdoors due to terrain, incline, and curves in the path. Also, the moving belt of the treadmill does some of the work for you. However, this article includes tips by university running coaches which tells me treadmills CAN and DO benefit runners.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first marathon and I just picked up a pair of YakTracks Ice grippers for running on snow and Ice. I have yet to try them but I have read a lot of great reviews and a few negative ones. If I can't run outside I run on an indoor track at my rec center, but 12 x around equals a mile so I feel like a hamster. I have not been on a treadmill in 2 years. My Monday run was in 10 degree weather. I figure why should snow boarders have all the outdoor fun!
  • glevinso
    Options
    You need to move. I can't imagine living in a place where the treadmill had to be an option through winter AND summer.

I use my treadmill year round. In the summer it is for over-hot days, or rainy/stormy days. In the winter, for darkness and weather.

My bike trainer sees use all the time. Probably 50% of my riding is done indoors. It is nearly impossible to do proper interval work riding outside. Needless to say I am used to long sessions on the treadmill/trainer indoors. I don't even hesitate to ride the trainer even on a nice day in the summer if my training plan calls for intervals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is extra-tough because it forces you into the same gait over and over. Here are the things I do to help physiologically:
    -build up mileage all over again--I can't go from 15 miles outside to 15 miles inside overnight
    -rotate between two pairs of shoes, different kinds if possible
    -switch up the speed and incline, even just one or two bumps every so often

As for psychological factors, I cover up the display and usually watch music videos on YouTube. They work for timing intervals without allowing me to fixate on the treadmill's little green numbers. Those evil glowing demons.

I cover the display as well. my nike+ tells me my distance at 1.5 mile intervals.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My go to when running on a treadmill is watching Netflix. There have been times that I have run longer than planned so that I could watch a second episode.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I too am stuck on the dreadmill. I have a love hate relationship with it. I live in a not so good neighborhood so running around my block is a no go for me. The ONLY thing that helps me get through it is music and a lot of it. Get your Ipod full of your favorite songs, songs that pump you up, make you happy or make you pissssed (sometimes that helps!) and blast that ish while you're running. I would not have the willpower to workout if I didn't have my Ipod. Good luck doll! :#