Meals without sugar

Options
Looking for some meal ideas without (or very little) sugar!

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    lean protein and veggies
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Do you cook? If you do cook, what do you prepare for your self now or what type of things do you enjoy eating?

I prepare a meal every Monday, and eat on that for the week. For example, I may make a pot of chilli (low fat - lean meat / low sodium) and eat that all week.
    -
    I can create my own recipe and create actual calories by creating a "homemade" version of my chilli in "My Recipes".

Let us know what you like to do??
  • Usually eggs for breakfast; lunch/dinner will be chicken or turkey with veggies or a salad. It gets boring, quickly!
  • KhalisaBianco
    KhalisaBianco Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a high fiber, high protein, low sugar shake for breakfast and lunch. It's not exciting, but it's easy to make and eat (drink?) on the run. I use Barn Dad's FiberDx cause it only has 2 grams of sugar, but I'm sure you can find something equivalent. Come dinner, I eat whatever I feel like. Luckily my appetite is small as long as I remember my multivitamin every night. Yesterday I had steak and a baked potato. So good!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm having a harder time thinking of meal ideas WITH sugar unless you mean breakfast or really love fruit or are meaning starch by sugar or are being super duper restrictive for some reason that I don't understand. I mean, sure there's some sugar in veggies but I hope you aren't therefore avoiding them. (Edit: oh, I see you've answered and are not.)

Feel free to check my diary if you want, as I eat meals without sugar all the time (skip the fruit if necessary). (I also eat things with sugar, but not so much as part of a meal, as ice cream doesn't taste good to me on salmon. Yeah, I'm weird.)

More seriously, meat or fish or legumes as a main dish, plus veggies, plus more veggies or a starch like potatoes would not have much sugar. (Avoid roasted plantains, though--they have tons. Good for you, IMO, but not if you are anti-sugar.)

If you want to have a salad, one option (that I am in favor of) is making your own dressing. I like olive oil and balsamic vinegar or some kind of mustard plus red white vinegar mix as easy options. There's a little sugar in vinegar too, I guess, but at some point I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    lean protein and veggies

Veggies contain sugar.

On another note: what is wrong with sugar?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Looking for some meal ideas without (or very little) sugar!

Chicken
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    A bowl of chicken.

Damn, you beat me to it!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    lean protein and veggies

Veggies contain sugar.

Pretty sure the OP wasn't talking about naturally occurring sugar. I'm not on the no sugar bandwagon. Now, do I eat a lot of foods with added sugar, nah. It's not for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about experimenting with different sauces? You can make a white sauce without sugar. Making a reduction from onions and the drippings off a roast can be lovely.

I make a schnitzel for hubby a couple times a month. It's a breaded chicken, pork, or fish. It's different, and it's appreciated.

Then there's casseroles. Au gratin.
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're interested in a sugar free / 50 calorie hot chocolate recipe... I just found it and I'm going to try it today because I'm dying for something sweet but I don't want to destroy my good eating!
    -1c unsweetened almond milk (30 calorie.. or water)
    -1tbsp Cocoa
    -Stevia (or any sweetener of choice)
    -1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
  • dawne000 wrote: »
    I don't know if you're interested in a sugar free / 50 calorie hot chocolate recipe... I just found it and I'm going to try it today because I'm dying for something sweet but I don't want to destroy my good eating!
    -1c unsweetened almond milk (30 calorie.. or water)
    -1tbsp Cocoa
    -Stevia (or any sweetener of choice)
    -1/4 tsp vanilla extract.

Thank you! Love this idea!
  • jgnatca wrote: »
    How about experimenting with different sauces? You can make a white sauce without sugar. Making a reduction from onions and the drippings off a roast can be lovely.

I make a schnitzel for hubby a couple times a month. It's a breaded chicken, pork, or fish. It's different, and it's appreciated.

Then there's casseroles. Au gratin.

Excellent! Thank you!
  • SuggaD wrote: »
    lean protein and veggies

Veggies contain sugar.

Pretty sure the OP wasn't talking about naturally occurring sugar. I'm not on the no sugar bandwagon. Now, do I eat a lot of foods with added sugar, nah. It's not for me.

Exactly, veggies and fruits have natural sugar and those I'll take. I'm more interested in keeping down the artificial stuff (like white carbs). One thing i cannot live without is milk, haha. I absolutely love milk, I drink fat free but it does have sugar in it.
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    A bowl of chicken.

Damn, you beat me to it!

Haha yes, chicken and turkey I eat all the time, just looking for some additional ideas (I get bored eating the same stuff over and over).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're trying to avoid table sugar, added sugars, fruit sugars or all carbohydrates. I'm assuming that all carbs aren't out.

Eliminating fruits and added sugars pretty much leaves meat and veggies.
  • lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm having a harder time thinking of meal ideas WITH sugar unless you mean breakfast or really love fruit or are meaning starch by sugar or are being super duper restrictive for some reason that I don't understand. I mean, sure there's some sugar in veggies but I hope you aren't therefore avoiding them. (Edit: oh, I see you've answered and are not.)

Feel free to check my diary if you want, as I eat meals without sugar all the time (skip the fruit if necessary). (I also eat things with sugar, but not so much as part of a meal, as ice cream doesn't taste good to me on salmon. Yeah, I'm weird.)

More seriously, meat or fish or legumes as a main dish, plus veggies, plus more veggies or a starch like potatoes would not have much sugar. (Avoid roasted plantains, though--they have tons. Good for you, IMO, but not if you are anti-sugar.)

If you want to have a salad, one option (that I am in favor of) is making your own dressing. I like olive oil and balsamic vinegar or some kind of mustard plus red white vinegar mix as easy options. There's a little sugar in vinegar too, I guess, but at some point I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you! I will be stalking your food diary!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lean protein and veggies

Veggies contain sugar.

Exactly, veggies and fruits have natural sugar and those I'll take. I'm more interested in keeping down the artificial stuff (like white carbs). One thing i cannot live without is milk, haha. I absolutely love milk, I drink fat free but it does have sugar in it.

What is wrong with white carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lean protein and veggies

Veggies contain sugar.

All (well, normal) milk has sugar in it (lactose). The amount per calorie is just more for low fat and fat free because it has fewer calories (and the other major source of calories, fat, is removed). That doesn't mean sugar is added (just to make sure that's clear).

I love dairy too.

Not sure why a potato is artificial, either.

And so by sugar you ARE including starch and thus wheat products?