Runners-Whats the coldest youve ever run in?

124»

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    You are hardcore. I will give it a whirl tomorrow morning. I'll never know for sure until I try it. I just hope I don't regret it! :-D
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Used to regularly run out in minus 20-35 degrees centigrade when I was in the army. Norwegian winters are the worst lol.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    The coldest was last year... -5F with a windchill of -17F. I run outside all winter so once I figured out what layering works for me, I stay warm. This morning's windchill of -7F was the coldest so far this year...
    21k2znkf67va.jpg

FTW
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    You guys would laugh at the way everyone is freaking out in Houston. HARD FREEZE warnings. Its currently 58 degrees and forecast to drop to 29 tonight. Its all over the news! lol
    Well you guys have made me feel better about running in the cold :) I suppose I would do the same if I lived in a place with harsh winters.

Honestly I perform better in colder temps than hot ones. Out here in the Mid Atlantic we get MISERABLE/muggy summers (if you're in Texas, I'm preaching to the choir)...I cannot tolerate the heat/humidity. I get winded and dehydrated very quickly and my muscles cramp.
    I'm a native Montanan so I'd much rather run in the cold.

I disagree. I live in Iowa, where it is extremely humid in the summers. A few years ago, in July, I was in dry Houston. All of the locals were remarking how hot I must be because I'm from Iowa. The day I left, it was 93 degrees in Houston. It was also 93 degrees in Des Moines. When I stepped off of the plane, my glasses fogged up and the air was noticably thicker and heavier (and more difficult to breathe). That 93 degree weather in Des Moines was much worse than the 93 degree weather in Houston because there was practically no humidity in Houston.

You must have visited during a rare dry time in Houston. Houston is very humid normally. My years in Chicago taught me how humid parts of the Midwest get. Had a few brutal summers up there.

I live in Houston, too, so, the coldest I've been able to run was during the freezing rain we had last year (around 30F). Football practice was cancelled due to weather, so I went running instead! I'll run in anything here (well, not during hurricanes, heh). I run in the summer, where the heat gets a bit miserable. I'll take the cold over the heat. Hate how quickly I heat up during summer runs. I hope to run in the snow one day, just to get to do it.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I would go out if it was no colder than -10 Celsius.
    But after 2 knee surgeries, i no longer run outside in the winter - too risky.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Florida here!
    I do seem to run better in the cold but I am a big baby.Any thing below 50 degrees and in the summer anything over 80- it's treadmill time!
    The coldest I ever ran in was a race, it was 37 that morning.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    As much as I want to laugh at some of these cold temps that people refuse to run in, I also recognize that on the flipside I'm a giant baby with the heat and have a hard time handling anything much hotter than 25C-30C (77F-86F). I ran the Reggae Half Marathon in Jamaica back in December and felt like I was suffocating from the heat after 3km (it was about 80F and pre-sunrise). It slowed me way down.
  • paszekmonika
    paszekmonika Posts: 60 Member
    I reckon that was -21C. Two years ago. Took me about 40 minutes to warm myself up. My hands were completely frozen after the run and I wasn't able to open the door (couldn't move my fingers). I was just starting my running journey and learnt my lesson (got the gloves later that day). Still like running in very cold weather but I have a proper gear now;)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    aarar wrote: »
    As much as I want to laugh at some of these cold temps that people refuse to run in, I also recognize that on the flipside I'm a giant baby with the heat and have a hard time handling anything much hotter than 25C-30C (77F-86F). I ran the Reggae Half Marathon in Jamaica back in December and felt like I was suffocating from the heat after 3km (it was about 80F and pre-sunrise). It slowed me way down.

Hot weather can be a lot more miserable than cold. I did an Olympic triathlon in 110°F heat and high humidity, people literally had their sprinklers pointing onto the road on the run course. I don't think I would have made it without them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Not running, but I did a 30 mile ride last year with temps around 14* which is about as cold as it gets here in the ABQ. It's pretty typical for me this time of year to ride with temps in the 20s and 30s though.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    -5 on snow today. I like to cross country ski too, so footing is way more important to me than temperature. I ordered a set of yaktrax pro to help with that.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    aarar wrote: »

Hot weather can be a lot more miserable than cold. I did an Olympic triathlon in 110°F heat and high humidity, people literally had their sprinklers pointing onto the road on the run course. I don't think I would have made it without them.

So true about this. I run in hot summers, temps in high 90's (F) to just over 100, plus whatever the humidity is doing. Really have to slow the pace down in the summer, as it quickly gets taxing on the body. Man, though, when fall arrives, I feel awesome and fast!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    I live in Houston too, so I don't like the cold too much. I'll run outside at pretty much any temp though (freezing up to 100+F).

I think the coldest I can remember running was 24F at a race I traveled to up in NJ. It was quite frigid and miserable, which was a good reminder of why I don't live up there. Oh, and after the race, it started snowing.

ETA: Today I ran at lunch, it was between 56-60F. I was the person out there in shorts and a tank top, and the guys running with me thought I was crazy.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    I run with a group every Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m. Right now it is 0℉, at 6 this evening it should be down to -4℉ with a wind chill of -21℉. That will be my PR for low temps. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to it.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    30 something. I am a southerner, however, and I don't do cold. I did run in snow 1x, but it was mostly tiptoeing through slush and leaping puddles. ;)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2015
    30 - 40 degrees and that is stretching it for me. Today is 0 (-20 wind chill) and I was pissed having to drive to the gym this morning!!!!! I am a total wuss!