How do you moms fit in the time to get your workout on?

Options
I had my first daughter Nov 19,2014 and I am trying to get back into working out and its hard. Before having her I would get up about 5:30 am workout ( I do mostly at home dvds), shower, eat and leave for work. Now its hard to find the time to do everything I need to do (im a single mom). She wakes up about 5-5:30am ready to eat. I feed her, burb her, change her and try to keep her up for about 20mins so she doesn't spit up. After all that 45mins to an hour has passed. Working out in the evenings could be worst because Im super tired after work and cooking.

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I didn't worry about my workouts when I had an infant. When my kids were awake we would take walks. That's about as much exercise as I got. I just stayed in my calorie goal and slept when they slept.

Once they started sleeping through the night is when I started really training again.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, you're barely postpartum. It's super hard right now with the stage she's in. Newborns are time sucks. Not that it's ever easy--I have to go to the gym to work out, I just can't do it at home with the kids around. Is it possible to work out over your lunch hour or eke out a little more daycare time so you can squeeze in a workout?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I set multiple alarms to make sure I get up before 5:30.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Early mornings while everyone is sleeping bf work. As a single parent That may not be possible for you. Try evenings while your baby sleeps.
  • ramurray8
    ramurray8 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First, Congratulations on your baby! November is pretty recent, so you might want to just chill out on traditional exercise for a little bit. From experience, I know that is tough to do b/c you want to get back to pre-pregs body - but your body is still probably settling into itself.

I started back with a mommy + me yoga video. That way i felt like I was spending time with baby and accomplishing my personal fitness goals. It wasn't too intense, no jumping up & down, but still felt good. I would do it after dinner before baby bedtime and yes, I didn't really feel like doing it, but when else could I? I was lucky and found my dvds at a goodwill, but there may be some free online options too.

My baby is now 3yrs old and the primary time I workout is during lunch. It stinks, but it's truly my only alone time. I found a personal trainer in my neighborhood and she does a small class bootcamp for 5-6 of my coworkers. It's great for her b/c we are regular paying clients, and great for us b/c she is very reasonable ($50/month). I used our neighborhood webforum to find her....if you have a similar setup, try that approach. you'll probably find other moms in the same boat. Regular personal training is pricey, but this was doable.

Another thing I did was buy a used jogging stroller & run a little on non-work days - just like the mommy & me yoga, it made me feel like I was still spending time with my baby while accomplishing personal goals. We still use the stroller, so that was good purchase.

The biggest change for me was understanding that I had to make it priority and then I had to do it. I still struggle with that ;)

Best wishes
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know it's probably going to be hard before she really starts sleeping good.

I'm only doing piyo right now nothing to strenuous. I like the yoga and baby idea so I'll check for some of those work outs. And I was planning on getting a jogger stroller this summer anyway so that is definitely on my to do list!

I've also thought about joining the YMCA because they have child care but where I live because i make over $49000 it's pretty expensive but it maybe the best solution to my problem.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found when my kids were that young an actual routine was not possible. I would just do little 5 minute things multiple times a day to try and get something in. I would do stuff like 25 jumping jacks and 5 squats while the bottle was warming up or every time I went to the bathroom do 10 jumping jacks before you leave the bathroom. Just a bunch of very short little things to get just a bit of exercise in for the day.
  • kyunda
    Options
    Those are really good ideas!

clyn27 wrote: »
    I found when my kids were that young an actual routine was not possible. I would just do little 5 minute things multiple times a day to try and get something in. I would do stuff like 25 jumping jacks and 5 squats while the bottle was warming up or every time I went to the bathroom do 10 jumping jacks before you leave the bathroom. Just a bunch of very short little things to get just a bit of exercise in for the day.

• TJP2691
    TJP2691 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat pretty much, new baby and trying to find time to work out. I have piyo, just haven't found time to try it out yet. There is another beachbody workout out there called ten minute trainer. Find time to do three ten minute sessions a day and you've got a whole thirty minute workout done!
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had my first baby last April. When I went back to work, it was very challenging for me to juggle full time work and being a new time mom. I felt so exhausted all the time. I decided to try the T25 program and LOVED IT! Its perfect for me because it only requires 25 minutes a day. That is a lot easier to fit into my schedule than finding time to go to the gym. And the results I saw were awesome!
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dad, not a mom, but when my kids were infants we put them in their bouncy seat/playpen/carseat etc, while we worked out at the house. The nice thing about it was that it became our routine along with theirs. Starting out is a little tough, as is everything with an infant, but it pays off in the future. In good weather, we would walk/jog with a jogging stroller. Made it fun for the kids and it was rarely a problem. It was all about repetition and routine. My daughters are 16 & 20 now, and they still know where mom and dad are most evenings :smile: Good Luck!
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I had my first, I was a single mom. I also had a full time job and was a full time student. So I know it' s tough. On days I didn't have class, I would usually go right after picking my son up from daycare and bringing him to the gym.( I had one with childcare).
    I would eat something in the car like a peanut butter sandwich and fruit and eat a small dinner after. Since my son was a baby, It didn't matter if I actually made dinner because it was only me. Plus it gave me that boost of energy to get thru the evening hours doing homework and taking my online classes.
    I actually find it harder to work out now that I have another child and a husband and the kids are older. by the time I get home and cook dinner, help with homework, after school activities, etc, I'm beat.
    Some people do good exercising at home. I do not because I easily get distracted with the kids and a million other things I need to do.
    Try different things and find what works for you. Good Luck!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am not a mom but was a at home dad while my kids were newborn and infants while mom went to work. local YMCA offered childcare That was 1-2 hours in a day, 3-4 times a week I looked forward to. My kids enjoyed the pool afterwards also. For only 80.00 a month it was well worth it.
  • kyunda
    Options
    I have T25 too but not sure if I'm ready for that intensity ; I had a c section. That's why I choose piyo to ease back in.
    I had my first baby last April. When I went back to work, it was very challenging for me to juggle full time work and being a new time mom. I felt so exhausted all the time. I decided to try the T25 program and LOVED IT! Its perfect for me because it only requires 25 minutes a day. That is a lot easier to fit into my schedule than finding time to go to the gym. And the results I saw were awesome!

• kyunda
    Options
    Thanks so much moms & dads! I'll give these ideas a try!
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My son is nearly two, but when he was really young, when he would go down for his nap during the day, I would chuck on a 20-30 workout video in the loungeroom. But now I go to the gym at night time after he goes down for the night, and my partner is home from work.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    kyunda wrote: »
    I had my first daughter Nov 19,2014 and I am trying to get back into working out and its hard. Before having her I would get up about 5:30 am workout ( I do mostly at home dvds), shower, eat and leave for work. Now its hard to find the time to do everything I need to do (im a single mom). She wakes up about 5-5:30am ready to eat. I feed her, burb her, change her and try to keep her up for about 20mins so she doesn't spit up. After all that 45mins to an hour has passed. Working out in the evenings could be worst because Im super tired after work and cooking.

You're asking for too much...
    Some people either put their baby in gym daycare or they have kids that sleep all day and they work out at home. I had neither. My babies would cry the second I thought about handing them to someone or about putting them down somewhere.
    I started working out when they were 6-9 months old. My youngest is 1.5 and I work out at 5.30. Even that does not always work because she needs me at night...
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    When I had my first, I was a single mom. I also had a full time job and was a full time student. So I know it' s tough. On days I didn't have class, I would usually go right after picking my son up from daycare and bringing him to the gym.( I had one with childcare).
    I would eat something in the car like a peanut butter sandwich and fruit and eat a small dinner after. Since my son was a baby, It didn't matter if I actually made dinner because it was only me. Plus it gave me that boost of energy to get thru the evening hours doing homework and taking my online classes.
    I actually find it harder to work out now that I have another child and a husband and the kids are older. by the time I get home and cook dinner, help with homework, after school activities, etc, I'm beat.
    Some people do good exercising at home. I do not because I easily get distracted with the kids and a million other things I need to do.
    Try different things and find what works for you. Good Luck!

You sound like me but mine are 7 and 12 so now i tell them "mom is doing her exercises" and Dad takes over and i lock the bedroom door LOL

• bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby! When mine was little all I could manage was long walks with a mommy and me group (he would sleep for hours in his stroller) and the occasional yoga DVD. I also used to strap him in the baby carrier ( like a Bjorn) and do housework while incorporating squats and lunges etc. Don't be so hard on yourself; your baby is still so new, let your body heal and adjust before kicking its butt!
    Best of luck girl! Single mom hood is hard but so rewarding. Enjoy your babe :)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When spring and summer roll around, get yourself a jogging stroller and look for a Stroller Strides group. Since you are already an active person, it may be pretty easy for you. But it will be a good way to exercise and make some friends with other moms.