Doing it wrong??

Options

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been on mfp for about 15 months, lost 34lbs but still have a long way to go.

Anyone is welcome to friend me but the following are MUSTS for me.
    1. You log onto mfp regularly
    2. You comment on post and not just use the like button.
    3. The support is two way and you give support to me in return for the support I give to you.

I do delete those that do not support and comment as I want to be a supportive friend on this journey.
    Good Luck to you all.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, good advice overall....Over 2000 cals, chocolate bars and McDonalds all in one day is not effective...And its been TEN days......
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good - Smart Ones are high in sodium, but a McDonald's double cheeseburger has about twice the sodium. (Plus, unless you know you have sodium-sensitive high blood pressure or some other medical reason to limit sodium, limiting sodium is probably way down on the list of health-improving changes you could make. No need to do everything at once!)

I'm a decent cook, and cooking every night for my picky and unappreciative 11 year old (who considers both vegetables and leftovers inedible, despite the fact that all the adults in the household eat plenty of both!) is an unrewarding hassle. Better to eat out, making good choices, than to give up because transitioning to 100% home cooked dinners is too much trouble.

Eating food you like, in portions that fit your calorie budget, is more likely to work over the long run than eating food you don't like. Small changes are more likely to stick than drastic changes.
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There is some really good advice here and after reading all the comments I see you have an 11 year old daughter. That's a wonderful age to start her in the kitchen and get her cooking. I have an 11 yr old son and I started him 2 years ago making supervised meals. You could do this with your daughter and both would be learning a new skill and spending quality time together. Maybe schedule a day when you are both off work and out of school to make a couple meals that could be kept in the refrigerator or freezer for later. I've found that I cook just a little extra so I have that quick meal to grab for lunch at work. You have some real good tips to get you started.... good luck!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice here. Cut the sports drinks and sugary frappe drinks. Don't drink your calories. Fast food and convenience food is full of sugar and salt that makes you want to eat more of them while not satiating your hunger. I saw that on one day for dinner you had a frappe and some chicken. No vegetables? You drank more calories than you ate and mostly that was sugar.The advice to do batch cooking is a great one. If you have the crock pot put it to use. I get great deals at a butcher on meats on Saturdays, buy bulk and freeze them. Take out a package of chicken the night before and thaw in the fridge. In the morning put the chicken in the crockpot with a cup or two of broth and turn on. While you work or study it is cooking. I do this many times a week and have chicken or some other protein with a large fresh salad. There are lots of crock pot cookbooks and tons of recipes on Pinterest and other sites.Yes, the greens do go bad quickly but if you are eating them every day you will use them up before they spoil. A salad spinner can help get excess moisture off the lettuce, too. IKEA has a cheap one that works great. Frozen veggies keep for a long time. I like the steamer bag vegetables the most. Chili, soup and other casseroles can be made in big batches and frozen into meal sized packages. All it takes is a little advance planning. If you want to avoid sugar crashes late morning or afternoon eat more protein. Eggs, protein smoothies, yogurt, etc. will help a lot with that. And yes, you should worry much more about getting ill from all the prepared and fast food than from your own home cooking. You can teach yourself to cook and it can be very empowering. Good luck!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can definitely learn to cook and you will love the food way more than McDonalds! One of my go-to's that is better and no more expensive than fast food is a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store. My husband and I get two meals out of a chicken. Throw a potato (less calories than fries) or sweet potato in a microwave, add a piece of fruit or a yogurt. That's an easy start as you are learning to cook and finding easy recipes.
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "You can teach yourself to cook and it can be very empowering. Good luck!" It's hard at first but I love to do things that empower me.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? You can make some really amazing low cost low cal foods in a crockpot that work great for families on the go...

Send me a friend request and I'd be happy to help with some of my favorite go to crockpot meals.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    yes I do have a crock pot.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Pinterest!!! My best friend right now. I have a full time job and come Monday will be a full time student as well with a 13 year old. I had to find some quick and easy options like slow cooker (crockpot) meals, meal prep ideas and on the go options. I pinned so many and now I can just go back to my pinterest boards to use the recipes and ideas. A lot of easy options for you. You can look up so many different and quick versions of your favorite foods and meals.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    WOAH kyla you work full time and will be a full time with being a mom? You are super woman. I've never tried pinterest, but heard it was a good site. Will have to look into that.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    tiffnkailey - you sound awesome - I love your honesty - I won't pile on any more advice other than to say you've got to figure out what works for you - some of the loudest people on these MBs are the most radical and some of what they say isn't practical for "normal" people ;)

It takes some time to figure out what works for you, it's pretty hard to change your diet and your habits overnight, take baby-steps and don't be too rigid, just keep going in the right direction, it isn't a race - I've got a feeling that so long as you stick with it and muddle through the "figuring out" stage there'll be a success story post about you in a year or so.
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Yes, you are doing it wrong. But, also yes, you can do it right.

I'm sort of floored that you are an adult with a child and can't cook anything. Please find some simple recipes on the internet that you can learn. Buying groceries and cooking at home is much less expensive and creates better habits for you and your daughter.

Good luck.

Most people are. It's a long story, something traumatic happened to me, and I was stuck mentally as a 16 year old for a long time. I didn't get out of that victim mentality till I was 27. I'm 30 now. So I have a ton of catching up to do. While most young girls are learning to cook/clean. etc I was on sucide watch. While most young girls are going to college, having their first apartment, I was in an abusive marriage with a child.

So life was always survival mode, until 27. Then 27 was getting out of victim mentality, making better choices, trying to get a job. 28-29 was holding down a part time job and starting college, while parenting, getting my first apartment. 30 Was/is Fulltime job, part time college, parenting, bigger apartment, and finally being able to work on getting myself healthy through eating and exercising.

First, I think it's great that with all you've been through, you're trying to get yourself healthy and making YOU a priory
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    Well tonight I am planning to make dinner. It's not the healthiest, but its better then mcdonalds. Cut up some chicken off a rotisserie chicken, Kraft Mac n Cheese (yes I know its loaded with junk) and Peas from a can. It's a start.

I have to wait till saturday to buy groceries, so I have to eat up whatever is left over in my kitchen.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I was also looking at your exercise calories and they seem really high. You might be overestimating those numbers and if you are eating them back it could be contributing to the lack of progress you are seeing.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    WOAH kyla you work full time and will be a full time with being a mom? You are super woman. I've never tried pinterest, but heard it was a good site. Will have to look into that.
    Thanks! This is my first time going back to college in 8-9 years, so I have no clue what I am in for. Good thing my child is 13 and can do for himself. Pinterest has given me a ton of ideas so far and I am going to try and prep some meals on Sunday. Slow cooker options and freezer options. Great for you to take a look at when you can.

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a salad spinner, put your washed greens in a clean pillowcase, go outside and swing it rapidly in a circle to fling most of the water off. You can store the greens in the pillowcase in your crisper. I actually prefer this to a salad spinner.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You know what, I suspect you are worn out and stuck in a cycle of using caffeine and sugar for energy while getting drained from the crashes. You'll want to wean yourself off of the sugar excess like week by week. Week 1 no more Cap'N Crunch. Week 2 no more candy bar. Week 3 no more shakes and Gatorade. If you drop it all at once you'll feel like you have the flu.

All the stuff you're eating is also pretty nutrient-poor, so you're probably going to be hungry until you start hitting your macros of protein, carbs and fat. Once you get those nailed down you should feel more full, and also have more steady energy.

Are you sleeping enough? That's another danger zone: for most people if they are short on sleep they'll instinctually try to make up that energy with food. Get more rest if you're tired.

And my last rec: crockpot!! I got mine for $10 off Craigslist. It's not fancy and programmable but it works like a champ. It takes 5 minutes to dump stuff in in the morning, and when I come home it's all magically turned into food! I can't rave enough about it.

All the best to you!!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest a crock pot. It is really easy for people short on time to just put something in that morning and bam...dinner is ready that night. I use mine all of the time. That way you are cutting down on the fast foods.

Good luck.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    If you don't have a salad spinner, put your washed greens in a clean pillowcase, go outside and swing it rapidly in a circle to fling most of the water off. You can store the greens in the pillowcase in your crisper. I actually prefer this to a salad spinner.

lol seriously? I can just see what my daughter will think of this.