Doing it wrong??

Options

Replies

• tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes I do have a crockpot. Just haven't used it yet.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like to cook but I almost never cook the way people mean when they say they cook -- I do all mine in 15 minutes or less, or in the Crockpot. I'm like you: stunted by early trauma, had a child too young by an abusive man, spent years trying to figure out just how to be a person in the world without caring too much about the fine print.

Here is what I would advise, for you.

Learn three or four basic cooking techniques. Don't waste time learning "recipes." Learn a few easy processes instead. For me, what I use most, it's simple: how to pan-fry meat without a lot of cooking fat, how to parboil vegetables, how to compose a sauce, how to bake/roast meats and vegetables. Those processes are your steady, never-fail base. You can do anything with them. Once you understand a few very simple processes -- how to do them, yes, but also how they work and WHY they work -- you'll find it easy to modify them for a range of meals. Learn, this week, just how to cook a lean meat on medium heat in a pan. Next week, learn how to parboil a sturdy veg like broccoli; once you understand that you will know how to modify it for any vegetable. The week after, learn how to roast a simple pan of root vegetables. Just knowing the very basic processes will help you immeasurably, because understanding these gives you a sensory idea (or "gut instinct") of how to do other things.

Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid! My son and I were living on $600/month until December, and I know the fear of wasting food... or spoiling a meal... and yet the best advice I have is, DON'T BE AFRAID. Your life has been an unceasing battle and you're still here, so that means you've conquered it all. Trust that you can also conquer a burned meal or a bad recipe. It might be hard. You might go to bed hungry a night or two. Life will go on. In the meantime, you will have many more successes in the kitchen if you approach it with confidence than you will if you edge in with fear -- thus saving you money and time.

Don't worry about fancy, gourmet meals. Look honestly at what you eat right now: the frozen whatsits, the drive-thru thingamabobs. Consider how you could make them at home. What is a McDouble? It's two beef patties, a bun, some cheese, some lettuce and pickles and ketchup. You can handle that! Do it at home. Buy pre-formed meat patties, if you need to. Use convenience foods to your advantage, to improve on your fast-food lifestyle. You don't need to be perfect, right now. You just need to be a little better. What's a Lean Cuisine? It's a small portion of pasta, some sauce, and some veggies. You can do that, too; buy bottled sauce, buy frozen veggies, cook your own pasta, and watch your portions. Whatever you eat -- make it at home, but make it feasible. There's no shame in using convenience items to expedite your cooking as you learn.

Finally, stop thinking about recipes. Stop thinking about all the whatever to produce the Eiffel Tower of food. Just think about components: how do I cook meat, how do I cook veg, what grains do I like and how do I cook them. You can do that. You can learn a couple of ways to cook any meat, a failsafe method of cooking veggies, one single stir-fry method, and how to make a dried grain. Once you know those few things, and what foods you like to make... you can do anything. Food is just categories. You don't need to be Julia Child, you don't need to be Alton Brown, you don't need to be that b*tch down the street. You just need to make a quick, tasty meal, and that is all about process and components -- not complexity.

On a personal note, OP, I really admire you and I'd love to be friends if you're into that.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    On a personal note, OP, I really admire you and I'd love to be friends if you're into that.

LOL I loved your post. And yes we can be friends.

I know how to cook meat in a pan on the stove ex:hamburger meat. I have a crockpot, and steamer. I know how to use the steamer, I love steamed broccoli. The crockpot I haven't figured out what to cook in it, so that will be my goal.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    If you don't have a salad spinner, put your washed greens in a clean pillowcase, go outside and swing it rapidly in a circle to fling most of the water off. You can store the greens in the pillowcase in your crisper. I actually prefer this to a salad spinner.

lol seriously? I can just see what my daughter will think of this.

most definitely seriously... I did that LOL but what I didn't know was that the green "juice" splattered nicely on my back patio LOL I did it in the middle of the yard after that... great workout lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If cooking is kind of scary, you could look up some no cook recipes and start there until you feel more comfortable preparing your own food.
    You could get a cookbook for kids or something like Better Homes and Gardens cookbook which usually has basic recipes and explains tools and techniques.
    Soup can be a very forgiving beginner thing to cook I think. It freezes and reheats well too so you can make a large pot on the weekend and have leftovers for later.
    cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/no-cook-recipes/view-all
    myrecipes.com/no-cook-recipes
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Seriously! :D It's kind of fun, actually.

• foodequalshappy
    foodequalshappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I suggest omelettes. If you are not too keen on cooking and a bit scared to start, that would be my go to option. Try a plain omelette, then one with spices, then one with vegetables and slowly progress until you are making fancy ones. Eggs are cheap and easy to cook.
    Good luck. You sound like you are really trying to make this work.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »

Seriously! :D It's kind of fun, actually.

lol it sounds fun.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    I suggest omelettes. If you are not too keen on cooking and a bit scared to start, that would be my go to option. Try a plain omelette, then one with spices, then one with vegetables and slowly progress until you are making fancy ones. Eggs are cheap and easy to cook.

I do know how to make omelettes, so that would be a good start. I'm going to the grocery store tonight to get some food, I only have $30 to spend, but I can get some eggs, veggies, and hopefully some fruit with it. Is there a paticular cheese you would recommend? I like cheese in my omelette.

• clambert1273
    Options
    my favorite omelet is egg, spinach, tomato and feta :) but hey I am weird and I know it lol
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    I'll try the egg, spinach, and tomato...not sure about feta. I do like cheddar cheese though. I dislike with a passion swiss cheese, I think it smells like feet. lol.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    well dont look at my lunch today then lol I love Feta on just about anything lol
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you like fish? I made the easiest, tasty salmon the other night..it's fool proof! Get a couple of pieces of salmon (lets say half a pound for you and your daughter). 1/4 cup of brown sugar, about half a tablespoon of chili powder, half a teaspoon of salt and pepper, mix it all together. Put the salmon on a foil lined tray, cover the top with your spice mix, bake in a preheated over at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Done and done.

well dont look at my lunch today then lol I love Feta on just about anything lol

Feta makes everything delicious.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes I do have a crockpot. Just haven't used it yet.
    OMG, you are going to love your crockpot if you're busy and don't know how to cook. Most recipes, you just chuck everything in there and turn it on and go to work, lol!

• clambert1273
    Options
    Do you like fish? I made the easiest, tasty salmon the other night..it's fool proof! Get a couple of pieces of salmon (lets say half a pound for you and your daughter). 1/4 cup of brown sugar, about half a tablespoon of chili powder, half a teaspoon of salt and pepper, mix it all together. Put the salmon on a foil lined tray, cover the top with your spice mix, bake in a preheated over at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Done and done.

I agree... and I am out :(

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I do know how to make omelettes, so that would be a good start. I'm going to the grocery store tonight to get some food, I only have $30 to spend, but I can get some eggs, veggies, and hopefully some fruit with it. Is there a paticular cheese you would recommend? I like cheese in my omelette.
    Chicken thighs are crazy cheap. And, I know it sounds ambitious, but you can sometimes get a frozen turkey for like $0.88/lb. You'll get a ton of meat from it and it's delicious and cheap.

Maybe not this week but in the future when you're feeling more confident in the kitchen. :smile:

• DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can I just say OP, that you've already accomplished and achieved so much? I have zero doubt that you're going to reach your fitness goals while being a full time student/full time employee/excellent mom.

Also for your crock pot, you had said a few times that you dont know what to make in it. I use my sundays to pre-plan my meals. My go-to lunch is chicken soup, which is cheap and easy to make. I buy a rotisserie chicken (about $6 at my grocery store), some bouillon cubes, garlic, onion,and add whatever veggies are floating my boat that day (often carrots, and spinach). I strip the chicken, and put half into the freezer for next week, and half into my crock pot. Chop up my veggies, and chuck everything in the crock pot and keep it on low for 8 hours. If I'm feeling fancy/theres a sale I might add a link or two of spicy sausage for extra protein and flavor.

Now, it's not the most gourmet soup, but it's pretty tasty. Plus its cheap and filling. Possibly something to try?
  • tiffnkailey
    Options

That does sound good, and easy. I will have to try that.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    DarbiB wrote: »
    Can I just say OP, that you've already accomplished and achieved so much? I have zero doubt that you're going to reach your fitness goals while being a full time student/full time employee/excellent mom.

Also for your crock pot, you had said a few times that you dont know what to make in it. I use my sundays to pre-plan my meals. My go-to lunch is chicken soup, which is cheap and easy to make. I buy a rotisserie chicken (about $6 at my grocery store), some bouillon cubes, garlic, onion,and add whatever veggies are floating my boat that day (often carrots, and spinach). I strip the chicken, and put half into the freezer for next week, and half into my crock pot. Chop up my veggies, and chuck everything in the crock pot and keep it on low for 8 hours. If I'm feeling fancy/theres a sale I might add a link or two of spicy sausage for extra protein and flavor.

Now, it's not the most gourmet soup, but it's pretty tasty. Plus its cheap and filling. Possibly something to try?

I'm probably going to get a rotisserie chicken tonight when I go to the store. For now that is easiest for me.

So lets say I put half of the chicken in the crock pot, carrots, (what other veggies do you put in your soup?) Then do you fill it with water and add some spices?

The crockpot part is simple, turn it on, and let it go for 8 hours. The ingredients for the crock pot is what is confusing.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

So lets say I put half of the chicken in the crock pot, carrots, (what other veggies do you put in your soup?) Then do you fill it with water and add some spices?

Carrots, celery, onion is my go-to on chicken soup, with some thyme and a boullion cube. I find that if I make my own soup, I can make it with less salt/boullion/broth than it calls for. Typically, I'll go half and half water and broth. My attitude is I can always add salt at the table, but I can't take it out of the soup.

Don't toss the stripped carcass, either! The next day, throw it back in the crockpot with onion, celery leaves (good way to use them up), carrot, thyme and fill it up with plain water. Let it cook all day and you'll have chicken broth much better than you can buy.

And simplest tomato soup on earth if you have a blender: throw no-salt canned diced tomatoes in a blender. Add about 1/4 cup milk per can, sugar and salt to taste (I usually go about a teaspoon sugar and just a sprinkling of salt on top per can.) Heat it up. Takes 5 minutes, tastes better than the canned condensed with fewer unpronouncable ingredients.

Not sure if canned, diced tomatoes are cheaper than canned soup, but on sale I can usually pick them up for about 50 cents a can, and the no-salt are no more expensive where I live than the regular.

I also like to blend cooked sweet potato in with tomato soup. Means I can use less sugar, as I get the natural sweetness off the sweet potatoes.