Just had a binge, undone all my hard work and feeling deflated.

Options
So I've been eating better for a few weeks but I started logging on Monday. I made such a good start, eating clean, healthy cooking, gym Monday and Tuesday and even today I've done really well with just 3 small chocolates in a long, depressing meeting at work. But I've just came home and after my healthy casserole I sat down with my laptop and friends on the telly to do some work...and I just got a whole box of chocolates left over from Christmas and ate them. All of them. Undoing everything I've done so far. It was like I just couldn't stop myself, I had no control. I knew what I was doing, I knew I was ruining it but I couldn't stop. I feel awful now, like this is just going to keep happening. I just can't believe I ate them all, even half would have been bearable. I'm hoping to get a fresh start tomorrow, putting a healthy meal in the slow cooker and hitting the gym after work. I'm also starting slimming world tomorrow with a friend. But I just feel so useless right now, I'm only 3 days in and I've already messed up. I'm so cross with myself :(:(

Replies

• robinrmcfal
    robinrmcfal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't ever stop trying. You haven't failed. *hugs*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh it will happen. Plus 1000 calories of chocolate is just 2 days of 500 calorie deficit... You're probably still going to lose weight this week. Don't sweat it and get back on track!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Log every chocolate and move on.
    You don't need to kill yourself at the gym everyday, in fact having a day off is better for your body so you can heal.
    There is no such thing as 'clean eating' and you can eat everything you want to as long as it fits into your daily goal on MFP.

Don't be angry with yourself, we all mess up. EVERY SINGLE PERSON has not 100% stuck to their plan. You need to be flexible with yourself, shuffle food around if you need to and preparing ahead always helps :)

Slimmingworld may be your choice, kudos on getting a friend involved to help motivate you, can be a team, but MFP is pretty good gadget in itself and is free. Good luck!
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eh it will happen. Plus 1000 calories of chocolate is just 2 days of 500 calorie deficit... You're probably still going to lose weight this week. Don't sweat it and get back on track!

True...and my deficit is already over that this week. I think I'm just worried this will happen again and again...like if I can't cope for 3 days how will I cope for months and years! At least the chocolate is gone now and I won't be buying any more, especially not in that quantity. Should have just given it away but I thought id be able to just have one or two. It wasn't even nice chocolate! :(
  • natijade
    Options
    Don't ever stop trying. You haven't failed. *hugs*

Yeah. I'm trying to think at least I've logged it and owned up to it instead of pretending it never happened. It's there and I can see it and how it's affected my weightless. Normally when I end up quitting I just pretend it never happened. I guess even posting this message is a huge step. Thank you, I needed that hug! :(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You haven't failed til you stop trying! It seems like a huge setback now, but it really isn't. I'm a former/recovering binger and one thing that helped me what to realise that every good decision I make over a bad one is a victory. So I had a binge in the evening? That sucks, but did I have a good, low cal breakfast and lunch? Yes? Well that's better than in the past, where the whole day was high calorie! It's a learning curve, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You haven't undone all your work. You said you've been eating better for a few weeks. You had some chocolate. It happens. It really does. Most of the people on here who have lost impressive amount of weight weren't perfect every day; they just had more good days than bad days. Sounds like today was a bad day. Compare that to 20 or so good days, and I'd say you are doing awesome.
  • natijade
    Options
    Log every chocolate and move on.
    You don't need to kill yourself at the gym everyday, in fact having a day off is better for your body so you can heal.
    There is no such thing as 'clean eating' and you can eat everything you want to as long as it fits into your daily goal on MFP.

Don't be angry with yourself, we all mess up. EVERY SINGLE PERSON has not 100% stuck to their plan. You need to be flexible with yourself, shuffle food around if you need to and preparing ahead always helps :)

Slimmingworld may be your choice, kudos on getting a friend involved to help motivate you, can be a team, but MFP is pretty good gadget in itself and is free. Good luck!
    I did, I fessed up and logged them all :( I know but I was trying to eat healthily this week to give myself a boost start. Maybe I have been a bit harsh though, I probably need to plan in some treats.
    Yeah I definitely needed a rest tonight after the last 2 days. I am enjoying the gym and exercise part more than the dieting part though so that's good I guess! :)
    I have been preparing which is why I'm so angry with myself I think. I made a plan, stuck to it and messed it up at the last minute. :/

Yeah I'm only going to Slimming world as I feel I need a weekly communal weigh in. I've lost weight before with mfp but only when I had a communal weigh in with people at work once a week. I've tried mfp without but I end up quitting. My friend has lost 30lb and is very committed, I know she won't let me give up. I'm planning to stick to here mostly though, just use slimming world for support, weigh in and inspiration :)
  • secondnature81
    secondnature81 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It happens. YOU HAVE NOT fAILED! You realized the problem, logged it, and know how it effects you. You're doing great!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    natijade wrote: »

True...and my deficit is already over that this week. I think I'm just worried this will happen again and again...like if I can't cope for 3 days how will I cope for months and years! At least the chocolate is gone now and I won't be buying any more, especially not in that quantity. Should have just given it away but I thought id be able to just have one or two. It wasn't even nice chocolate! :(

I can't speak for everyone, but I know very few people that could resist a box of chocolates. I'd eat it in one sitting, easily. Like you said, just don't keep large quantities in the house. When I want a treat, I go to the store and buy one serving. No matter what size I buy it's one serving :p so I try to go for a reasonable serving size. Don't feel like you need to have superhuman strength.
  • natijade
    Options
    You haven't failed til you stop trying! It seems like a huge setback now, but it really isn't. I'm a former/recovering binger and one thing that helped me what to realise that every good decision I make over a bad one is a victory. So I had a binge in the evening? That sucks, but did I have a good, low cal breakfast and lunch? Yes? Well that's better than in the past, where the whole day was high calorie! It's a learning curve, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I did have very good, healthy meals today... I just massively overdid it on the snack side. I've still got my 5 a day at least! Which is better than not long ago when I was lucky if I got 1 in a week! Thank you, that's really helpful :)
  • natijade
    Options
    You haven't undone all your work. You said you've been eating better for a few weeks. You had some chocolate. It happens. It really does. Most of the people on here who have lost impressive amount of weight weren't perfect every day; they just had more good days than bad days. Sounds like today was a bad day. Compare that to 20 or so good days, and I'd say you are doing awesome.

Yeah better but not amazingly. :/ well if I manage another... 18 good days then I'm alright. I'm sure it'll be better when I get into the swing maybe and see some results! I'm in it for the marathon not the sprint after all. Thank you for your reply, talking about the problem instead of ignoring it like I usually would is really helping :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still can't resist a box of chocolate... I've lost 80 pounds. I just don't keep the stuff I'm likely to binge on in the house. Once in a while, I'll indulge, and I go all out at Holidays and stuff my face, but it hasn't derailed me one bit!
  • natijade
    Options

I can't speak for everyone, but I know very few people that could resist a box of chocolates. I'd eat it in one sitting, easily. Like you said, just don't keep large quantities in the house. When I want a treat, I go to the store and buy one serving. No matter what size I buy it's one serving :p so I try to go for a reasonable serving size. Don't feel like you need to have superhuman strength.

Oh thank god it's not just me! Yeah there's nothing in the house now except my daughters Christmas chocolate which I definitely wouldn't touch and one small bag of popcorn. I'm too poor to buy too much at the moment so hopefully that will help put me off any mad food splurges! Thanks so much for your reply it's so helpful to talk about it. I feel loads better just from sharing! :)
  • natijade
    Options
    It happens. YOU HAVE NOT fAILED! You realized the problem, logged it, and know how it effects you. You're doing great!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate this support! Onwards and upwards. Looking forward to my gym session tomorrow! :)
  • aneesto
    aneesto Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There with you....my boss has been pissing me off for two days now...so on top of avocadoes and other low card protein rich foods I had chicken and chips...kinda better than wine? Doesn't hurt your liver, right?........ Need to recover some of those calories at the gym tomorrow. But clearly its not easy to keep up healthy eating when theres stress to be dealt with...
  • natijade
    Options
    aneesto wrote: »
    There with you....my boss has been pissing me off for two days now...so on top of avocadoes and other low card protein rich foods I had chicken and chips...kinda better than wine? Doesn't hurt your liver, right?........ Need to recover some of those calories at the gym tomorrow. But clearly its not easy to keep up healthy eating when theres stress to be dealt with...

No, that's been my problem the last few years since I started my teacher training really. It's just been more and more stress and I've out on more and more and had so many failed attempts at getting healthy again. It's just finding time to exercise and avoiding stress eating, which I've ALWAYS been awful for. I can't sit on the laptop without a big bag of SOMETHING next to me. Gonna have to make sure it's a bag of carrot sticks or something! But now my best friend at work who is also a teacher has lost loads of weight and I'm like, if she can do it, so can I! Decided it's time to put my health first! :)
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    So I've been eating better for a few weeks but I started logging on Monday. I made such a good start, eating clean, healthy cooking, gym Monday and Tuesday and even today I've done really well with just 3 small chocolates in a long, depressing meeting at work. But I've just came home and after my healthy casserole I sat down with my laptop and friends on the telly to do some work...and I just got a whole box of chocolates left over from Christmas and ate them. All of them. Undoing everything I've done so far. It was like I just couldn't stop myself, I had no control. I knew what I was doing, I knew I was ruining it but I couldn't stop. I feel awful now, like this is just going to keep happening. I just can't believe I ate them all, even half would have been bearable. I'm hoping to get a fresh start tomorrow, putting a healthy meal in the slow cooker and hitting the gym after work. I'm also starting slimming world tomorrow with a friend. But I just feel so useless right now, I'm only 3 days in and I've already messed up. I'm so cross with myself :(:(

Let me tell you something that is even worse then the chocolate you ate, that is being so hard on yourself. You are human, you will not be perfect. I say this because I have been there too many times to count. I have learned that I am allowed to eat chocolates and not feel bad, I just have to do everything moderation. You can do this, but first forgive yourself, chalk it up to a glorious chocolate binge and move on. It will be OK!!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    stress does it, emotions do it, boredom does it, availability of treats does it, wanting a reward does it, WE ALL DO IT.

It's what we do next that matters.

Just keep it in today, and go on. You wrecked nothing. You are practicing a new behavior - coming back from a binge instead of giving up!! SO CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thats not messing up thats a blip:

Hello, I have been on mfp for about 15 months, lost 34lbs but still have a long way to go.

Anyone is welcome to friend me but the following are MUSTS for me.
    1. You log onto mfp regularly
    2. You comment on post and not just use the like button.
    3. The support is two way and you give support to me in return for the support I give to you.

I do delete those that do not support and comment as I want to be a supportive friend on this journey.
    Good Luck to you all.