Is there such thing as too much protein?

jenvens
jenvens Posts: 159 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on a pretty strict diet, and will be following this plan for 30 days. But, I am going over on my protein! I know lean protein is awesome, but according to MFP...I might be going overboard...But, then I can't eat much other than chicken and turkey and will probably starve!

What have you guys noticed or heard?

Replies

• JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Good post! I'm the same way I even have a protein shake or two a day. I don't think its bad to go over on protein. But I'm def interested in others point of views
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    I lost all my weight going over on protein by a lot every day. The only way I could survive most days was with protein rich things. It's the protein that kept me full. I mainly just focussed on keeping my calories under and ignored everything else :) Not necessarily the best method, but it worked great.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    MFP sets protein % really low. I know that to much is bad but it is easily safe to go up to 1g per pound body weight and know body builders often go over but don't know exact point where becomes bad. I shoot for 1g/lbs
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    I've wanted to know this as well. I go way over every day!! I don't think it can be too bad.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Diets like the Atkins diet are rich in proteins. Too much protein, and I mean MUCH MORE THAN MOST, can affect the kidneys as your body needs to process the waste products. If you are just a bit over, it will not hurt. Your body will just get rid of or store what it can't use. Unless your diet is mostly protein, you don't need to worry about this.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    If you aren't actively working out (especially resistance and strength training) then generally you do not want to go over 200 grams of protein a day...
    When working out - I've heard 1.2 to 2 times your body weight for "recommended" protein intake...

The reason behind this is that if your body isn't specifically requesting extra protein (muscle repair, etc.) then your liver can only process so much - from what reading I've done...

Me? I find if I have Greek Yogurt during the day and 1 protein shake then chicken or Tuna for the other protein sources I stay right on target with:
    Carbs / Day 225 g
    Fat / Day 40 g
    Protein / Day 135 g

As I step up my strength training, I'll add another protein shake (roughly 30 more grams of protein) 45 minutes before the workout...

That help?
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    There is not such a thing as too much protein. It is unlikely you'll be able to physically eat too much protein. Further, more proteins do "stress" the kidneys more. However, there is no connection to protein and kidney problems unless you already have kidney problems.

The recommended amount of protein for dieters is around 1g/lb of lean body mass. If you are eating less than 50g of carbs, this needs to be higher around 1.5g/lb. 1.5g/lb is also around what should be used if strength training is introduced. There is no 200g ceiling.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Yes! Thanks!
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    If you aren't actively working out (especially resistance and strength training) then generally you do not want to go over 200 grams of protein a day...
    When working out - I've heard 1.2 to 2 times your body weight for "recommended" protein

Quick note, this should be your weight in POUNDS, not KILOGRAMS. You "generally" don't want too little protein in your diet, but 200g? Wow. For someone that's not even using their muscles while working out? Hmmm. Seems slightly excessive.
  • Jessadoo
    Jessadoo Posts: 7
    I am always over on my protein too. But the thing is, protein is what feeds our muscles and our muscles working is what shreds fat. So, if you are working out (not hardcore even just daily activity) then protein is great for your body! MFP does set their % super low on this, so I would stick to worrying about the others (calories, sugar, sodium, carbs, etc) more than the protein. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.