What experience ultimately convinced you it was time to make a change?

Options
I am very interested in hearing individual stories about what finally kicked your butt into gear for getting healthy, losing weight, or otherwise changing your body or routine.

Mine involves several days of skiing. During the ski equipment rental process, I was having trouble finding ski boots that fit right because of the size of my calves. I also found that my change in weight and body composition during the 5 years since my last skiing experience was making it very difficult for me to ski well, and made getting up after a fall all the more difficult. This resulted in three days of skiing in a painful, squashed, embarrassed, heavily distracted state...not being able to think about anything but how my body was limiting me when I should have been enjoying the experience.

What was it for you?

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture someone took of me, and I didn't realize how horrible I looked until then. That was demoralizing, but it took a grappling tournament to realize just how outta shape I'd gotten. I almost threw up after my first match.

That was all the motivation I needed to lose the weight I gained back.
  • mztoni54
    mztoni54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My younger brother (12 yrs younger) is diabetic,stage 4 kidney failure and i want to get healthy and try to give him a kidney. I am 100lbs plus from that goal. I have to lose and be off all bp, cholesterol meds and have a BMI of 25 or less. I know it means getting healthy and not hiding behind my weight anymore. I have a vision i can do it and not need skin removal. I need prayers. See it, believe it, recieve it.
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My boyfriend having an affair with his stick thin ex who then gave me the nickname 'hippo'

Edited for typos
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Watching my dad go downhill really fast in his mid fifties and getting back some really nasty blood work a couple of years ago that suggested I was heading down that same path.

Fortunately my dad was able to see me make the changes I've made before he passed away at the ripe old age of 60; he was very proud, and that definitely helps me keep on keepin' on with all this good livin'. I do the American Diabetes Association Tour De Cure every year in memory.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Having to literally stuff my stomach fat into the jeans that were no longer fitting. I refused to go to a higher pant size. :confounded:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I loved traveling but hated how uncomfortable I felt in my airplane seat. What a difference 60+ pounds down!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Being called a fat ugly lump by one of my favourite residents suffering from dementia
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with thyroid disorder was an eye opener. I'd already been gaining since switching from retail to a desk job, then I started taking birth control again... The thyroid was the icing on the cake.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    My daughter. I'm a single mother, and my daughter just turned 12. Several months ago I caught her crying in her room at bedtime after she thought I was asleep. When I sat down to talk to her to see what was wrong, she told me she was afraid of losing me. She thought I was going to die from being overweight and leave her alone. Of course, she had just taken a health class in school where they talk about the dangers of obesity, so I think that was what got her mind working. I promised her I would change, and I did. We started going on walks together first, and shortly after changed some eating habits. That was a little over 5 months ago, and I have now lost over 60 pounds. :) She even slimmed down a bit herself, even though she only had maybe a few pounds to lose. I made a promise...sticking to it. She's been so much happier. We play outside together when the weather is nice now, and she hasn't had anymore night time episodes of the "blues."
  • kingkongsong
    kingkongsong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The dreaded and very humbling "photo taken of me in a swim suit whilst on the beach".
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    mztoni54 wrote: »
    My younger brother (12 yrs younger) is diabetic,stage 4 kidney failure and i want to get healthy and try to give him a kidney. I am 100lbs plus from that goal. I have to lose and be off all bp, cholesterol meds and have a BMI of 25 or less. I know it means getting healthy and not hiding behind my weight anymore. I have a vision i can do it and not need skin removal. I need prayers. See it, believe it, recieve it.

Wow. You have my respect.

• GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    My beautiful little,(4 years old), grand daughter sweetly asking me why I was so big.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i had my first panic attack. Chest pain, really bad. Felt like I was having a heart attack. Thought I was gonna die. Called my dad in tears.

I went to see my doctor that week after it, at 294 lbs 5'3". She ran some tests and told me I was perfectly healthy now (age 21/22) but if I didn't get my weight under control I'd have serious health problems in 10 years.

i still get panic attacks 6 years later, but it's easier to calm down when i know i'm taking better care of myself.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Seeing my oldest starting on the path I have been on since I was her age.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I refused to go up another size.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    i had my first panic attack. Chest pain, really bad. Felt like I was having a heart attack. Thought I was gonna die. Called my dad in tears.

I went to see my doctor that week after it, at 294 lbs 5'3". She ran some tests and told me I was perfectly healthy now (age 21/22) but if I didn't get my weight under control I'd have serious health problems in 10 years.

i still get panic attacks 6 years later, but it's easier to calm down when i know i'm taking better care of myself.

I have had panic attacks for over 20 years...had my first at 17. They can be horrific. I sympathize with you on that. Mine at least lessen in intensity as I lose weight, so I hope the same happens for you. They're still there, just not as severe.

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I gained 50+ pounds after quitting smoking. Everything in my torso hurt and I asked my doctor if being overweight was so danged uncomfortable, why were so many people big? Turns out I have a hiatal hernia, hence the pain. She told me about MFP and here I am. I have lost 14 lbs in about 10 weeks and feel so much better.
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The way my old clothes look on me now. I love all my old clothes and I'd love to wear them again.... More confidence as well (which I'm gaining every passing day). I want my body to be healthier as well getting rid of my acid reflux and IBS.
  • JaimejWatkins
    JaimejWatkins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After getting pregnant with my son in 2009 by my delivery date I had put on over 100 lbs. My husband was deployment to Iraq and my thyroid that had been hyper before pregnancy and was perfect my whole pregnancy went crazy on me. After delivery I was then diagnosed with hoshimotos/ hypothyroidism. I was also diagnosed with pcos and many other health problems followed. After getting my gallbladder removed March 2012 I lost 45 lbs in 4 months. That showed me it was possible. My goal has been to try and have another baby. Finally after losing a total of 62 lbs over 2 years (350 to 288) I finally conceived it took 4 years of trying. The pregnancy didn't last I ended up in the hospital December 10th last year's and almost lost my life. I am thankful to be alive. I am now jumping back on the healthy wagon and my I'm doing it for myself and my son. I want to make sure I don't cut myself out of my son's life to early. I would like to stick around for a long time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So many, but a couple that really stick out are the fact that I was constantly telling my son, who was five at the time, no that I couldn't play with him. I didn't want to play sports or even get on the floor and play a game with him. Another was that I'm really short and I was on the verge of needing plus sized clothes and I had tried some on and the proportions were way off for me. I thought, "you just can't go down that road." Everything would have needed to be altered and I was simply done with buying new bigger clothes every couple of months.