MFP caloric needs too low?

Options
I have compared my caloric needs with other programs and trainers, and MFP seems to put the amount of calories that I need in a day about 200 calories lower than others. I am a firm believer that you have to eat to lose weight, and that starving yourself puts your metabolism at risk. Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    MFP does NEAT/net method. Most other calculations/calculators have you incorporate your exercise routine into your calculation. MFP does not. Which is why MFP is lower if you are using the appropriate activity levels.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to eat back exercise calories. Most other calculators do not. Won't take too much exercise to get to 200 calories and then they match. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP plan over estimated my calorie intake. The TDEE is has is way to high for me. Maint is 1150 to 1200. Anything over this and it is weight gain for me.
    -
    I eat about 300 less than the 1200 it setup for me for some weight loss.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    For me, MFP plan over estimated my calorie intake. The TDEE is has is way to high for me. Maint is 1150 to 1200. Anything over this and it is weight gain for me.
    -

Unless you have serious medical issues you are most likely eating way more than you think you are eating. Practically no one maintains their weight on 1200 calories a day or less. So no, MFP isn't overestimating.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    -

Unless you have serious medical issues you are most likely eating way more than you think you are eating. Practically no one maintains their weight on 1200 calories a day or less. So no, MFP isn't overestimating.

Agreed!! That's crazy low :(

Gia how tall are you? How much weight do you need to lose?

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have compared my caloric needs with other programs and trainers, and MFP seems to put the amount of calories that I need in a day about 200 calories lower than others. I am a firm believer that you have to eat to lose weight, and that starving yourself puts your metabolism at risk. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't think any of the quick online tools is recommending the amount of calories you need in a day. They all just give a recommendation for weight loss based on your own inputs and population averages. If you believe slower is healthier, put in a slower loss rate. The 1200 floor and 2lb/week max loss rate are pretty standard, even conservative, limits, which is probably how they selected them.
  • sheryl010153
    Options
    I agree, there has been a change of direction in the past 5 years. 1200 calories is considered too low if you are over 161cm and at least lightly active. I raised my daily intake to 1400/day on MFP.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    There is a group here on MFP that has that same thought OP, no need to starve to lose weight. :flowerforyou:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP to be spot on, as long as you take exercise into account.