Any tips on how to beat hunger at night?

Options
I don't know why but at night i become ravenous for some reason and it's so hard to try and not snack! I try eating light fruit/veg and drinking lots of water but the hunger pangs are still there! Anyone any tips on how to keep them under control ? My eating during the day is fine but those night pangs always get me!

Replies

• dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For me I usually snack on the nights, either portion your meals so you can sneak that snack in or get some low calorie high fiber/content type of foods like oatmeals, yogurt etc for your regular meals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep.
  • irelandpringles
    irelandpringles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I go to sleep.

I wish that was the solution but I'm usually so hunger I can't get to sleep! haha
  • irelandpringles
    irelandpringles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me I usually snack on the nights, either portion your meals so you can sneak that snack in or get some low calorie high fiber/content type of foods like oatmeals, yogurt etc for your regular meals.

Yeah trying my best to try portion everything out you just hear that eating at night packs on the pounds so that's why I'm so conscious of what i eat late at night! Thanks for the reply :)
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Yeah trying my best to try portion everything out you just hear that eating at night packs on the pounds so that's why I'm so conscious of what i eat late at night! Thanks for the reply :)

Totally false. I lost 53 lbs eating up to 1000 calories right before bed. Meal timing is personal preference. Eat when it makes YOU feel best and in a way you can adhere to your diet with ;)
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Casein shake, they fill you up and fuel your body through the night. There is good research out there about taking it at night. I don't personally take it unless I'm starving at night a few hours before I go to sleep
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Totally false. I lost 53 lbs eating up to 1000 calories right before bed. Meal timing is personal preference. Eat when it makes YOU feel best and in a way you can adhere to your diet with ;)

Word. I eat before bed every night.

To help with night time hunger I have a smaller dinner, usually 600 calories at the absolute highest, and then a dessert...or a second dinner. Gotta love a second dinner.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt, cereal (or granola) and fruit right before I go to bed. There's no way I'd go more than eight hours without eating.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Save calories for evening snacking is the easiest way to cope. Or do something focused that involves your hands- like reading, knitting, or a puzzle. Go to bed early. Have a big drink.

Honestly, I frequently save calories, especially if there are chips or treats in the house. Timing of evening meals only matters if you have already consumed your calories for the day or if you have digestion issues. My dinners focus on volume to keep me full, half a plate of steamed veggies cost very few calories and keep you full too.
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really solve your problem but I brush my teeth after dinner so I don't snack. That's my 'hungry' time too but I think that's a mental thing, not necessarily a physical one. I think I'm so used to eating at night that it's a habit more than anything. If I have calories left I will snack on some Skinny Pop if I feel desperate. Good luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Make sure I have eaten breakfast. Eat enough at dinner. Brush my teeth. Drink a glass of water. Go to sleep.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Having something hot works for me - frequently it's 8-10 oz of almond milk nuked with some cinnamon -
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    It's actually better to eat when you're hungry as for me it's less likely that i will binge. You just need to watch the calories mind you haha.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    If you really can't portion it out appropriately you can do exercises early in the day to give you some allowance for snacking at night :) remember though that the calories burned are just approximates so maybe eat only 50%-70% of what you burn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but at night i become ravenous for some reason and it's so hard to try and not snack! I try eating light fruit/veg and drinking lots of water but the hunger pangs are still there! Anyone any tips on how to keep them under control ? My eating during the day is fine but those night pangs always get me!

Legit hunger because you're eating under your calorie target or because your calorie target is too low? Solution is to eat.

Eating because you're bored or some other non-actual-hunger-related thing? Do something to take your mind off of it. Exercise is a possibility (although I can't workout before bed). Alternatively, sleep is a great nighttime activity and has all kind of benefits beyond just keeping you from eating.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I moved my last meal to 7/ 8pm, and found that helped a lot. Now when I eat at night the odd time, it tends mainly to be for non-hunger reasons.

I've heard casein protein is good for keeping you full overnight, be it from food, eggs/ cottage cheese/ etc, or a shake. Personally I find fat fills me most, so with that final evening meal being high enough in fat and protein, and lower in carbs, I find it equally effective.

One last thing - just make sure you're not eating at night because you're eating too little in general, and then by nighttime the hunger just reaches insane levels.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    you just hear that eating at night packs on the pounds so that's why I'm so conscious of what i eat late at night! Thanks for the reply :)

It doesn't matter when you eat, it's the deficit that matters.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

When I'm hungry at night, I eat. I pre-log a day in advance and make sure I add my nightly snack. Last night it was cottage cheese with blackberries. Filling and delicious!

Make sure you are eating enough during the day, especially at dinner. I generally am really hungry in the mornings so I make sure the bulk of my food is breakfast through lunch, then afternoon on is pretty light. This has nothing to do with weight loss, though, it's one hundred percent preference.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Casein shake, they fill you up and fuel your body through the night. There is good research out there about taking it at night. I don't personally take it unless I'm starving at night a few hours before I go to sleep

Your body does not need to be fueled through the night, it fuels all on it's own. Whatever that research is, it's probably all myth. However, in case I'm wrong, can you please post your research links? :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

100% false.

It doesn't matter when you eat. It's the calorie deficit that causes weight loss.