make jogging fun?!

Options
Anyone have any ideas on how to make jogging fun and make me want to do it? Struggling to find the motivation!

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Why are you set on jogging? Maybe there's a different exercise that you'd find more enjoyable?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    agreed.
    then don't do it.

im not a runner, so i walk. i like to walk.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get the app "Zombies, run"

Not only is it fun and motivating, you'll be way ahead of everyone else if the dead do rise again. That's a win-win in my book.

ETA: if you truly don't like jogging, find something else that you do like and can stick to. I was assuming you were just trying to get yourself started. When I go back to running after a break, I hate the first two weeks of sucking wind, but then it get better and eventually becomes, if not quite fun, at least mildly pleasant.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU

But on a serious note, you might be going to fast. Slow down and see how that goes. Also, get some good music and just relax your mind and go.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy jogging, do something else. It's not the only game in town.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Get the app "Zombies, run"

Not only is it fun and motivating, you'll be way ahead of everyone else if the dead do rise again. That's a win-win in my book.

ETA: if you truly don't like jogging, find something else that you do like and can stick to. I was assuming you were just trying to get yourself started. When I go back to running after a break, I hate the first two weeks of sucking wind, but then it get better and eventually becomes, if not quite fun, at least mildly pleasant.

+1 - Zombies, Run! is awesome! Nothing like making your run exciting by being chased by the undead! I'm re-starting the 5k app soon, but if you're already a runner, the full app is really good.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Agreed you might be starting out too fast. Try an app like C25K that eases you into running if you're sure it's something you want to do. Nothing like burning yourself out to make you never want to do something again!

Eventually, it almost becomes an addiction for some people.
    Then again, some people just never get into it and that's totally fine. The key is to find something you enjoy and WANT to stick with.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Sign up and train for a race. Initially I hated to run, but I liked the idea of finishing a race. It wasn't until I increased my endurance to be able to run about 5 miles comfortably that I really started to enjoy it. Even now, the first mile or two are often the hardest.

That being said, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it. There's many other exercise options out there. Find something that joy enjoy enough that you will stick with it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I tried to "jog". I signed up for a 5k and worked on getting ready for it. During the first two minutes of running the 5k I said out loud to my friend "I'm never running again". For the most part, I have not. Run when you want to, don't when you don't want to.
  • k998
    k998 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you got a parkrun local to you? http://www.parkrun.com

They are weeky, free, timed 5 km runs that are great for motivation, fun and fitness.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Running always feels terrible at the beginning. I've been running regularly for 18 months, and the first 5 minutes of any run is still rough. Trust me, if the remaining 60+ minutes of my long runs felt like the first five minutes, I wouldn't be doing them!

As for not getting bored, most people feel a bit better when they are mentally engaged in something while running. When I first started running, I couldn't do anything except run - I couldn't even focus on music. Eventually, I didn't need to focus 100% of my attention on what my body was doing, and started finding other ways to amuse myself. Nowadays, I use my runs as an opportunity to let me my mind wander, and to generally declutter my brain. I think through problems, replay situations in my memory, and generally give my imagination an airing. Some days, I'm looking forward to that mental break so much that I can't wait to lace up my shoes and get going!
  • chloerothe
    chloerothe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think thats the problem, might start with power walking instead :).
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This might not be a fix for most people by my German Shepherd and my phone with my favorite playlists are my main motivators. Without music I couldn't do it, I would lose interest and my dog motivates me because he's running so well and I know it's also good for him.
    I jog, walk, jog and alternate. I don't want to overdo it, and it's still a little hard, so I'm only doing about 2 miles total, with probably running 1 mile total.