BMR, TDEE, Calorie confusion

Options
Hi All!
I read so many conflicting things about calorie counting and deficits and it makes it so hard to feel confident in the path I’m on. I've read over the forums on here, but I'd like a little more advice, if you would all be so kind!

My current BMR is 1567.

My current TDEE is 1881 with no exercise or 2155 if I put that I exercise 3 days a week (I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes)

If I put in all my stats on MFP, it gives me something around 1400 calories to eat.

Now, I know I should never eat below my BMR. But when I multiply my TDEE (no exercise) by 20% to get my deficit I get 1516. I think that with the MFP number and this deficit number I need to eat back my calories every day, so I am technically eating above my BMR, but still netting below it…

So this is where my confusion comes in: is it ok to net below my BMR as long as I’m eating above it (eating back my workout calories)?

Or I should eat my TDEE (with exercise) x 20% = 1724 and then not eat back my exercise calories?

HALP

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why do you know that you should never eat below BMR? It simply isn't true. You shouldn't eat below 1200, but BMR is just a portion of the calories you burn throughout the day. The 1200 limit is so you provide your body with sufficient nutrients.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The never eat below your BMR thing is a myth. You can safely ignore that.

Now, as for the rest, I think your confusion stems from the fact that you're attempting to combine two different approaches: TDEE versus MFP.

You have two choices:

1) Use MFP. Plug in an absolute weight loss goal (I'd recommend no more than 1lb/week with your stats -- that's a 500-calorie/day deficit) and set your activity level to sedentary. That should give you just under 1400 calories as your net goal. Then, you log your exercise on top of that, and "eat back" your exercise calories -- either all of them, or, since MFP often overestimates workout calories, you can try eating back only a percentage. So on exercise days, you'll be eating more than 1400 calories, but on non-exercise days you'll be eating less. The pro to this method is that it adjusts itself based on the actual exercise you do, not based on the exercise you *think* you'll do. It's good for people who have a hard time sticking to a workout plan or who are sporadic with their exercise. It's also fairly easy to set up with MFP.

2) Use TDEE. Custom-set your goals in MFP to 1724 calories, which should be a pace of around 0.8 to 1 lb/week. Then, *don't* log your exercise and don't eat back any additional calories. Aim to stick to that 1724 calorie goal regardless of whether it's a workout day or not. The benefit here is that you don't have to mess around with logging and calculating exercise calories, and it's easier to meal plan when you have a relatively consistent calorie goal. But you have to make sure you stick to your workout plan; if you stop or slack off, you need to have the motivation to eat less, since MFP won't be keeping you accountable.

Some people find one method works for them; some find another works. Try them both out and see what works for you.

And most importantly: Remember that no online calculator is ever going to be exactly accurate for your body. They use formulas and algorithms that can help you approximate. But your actual TDEE may be higher or lower than what the calculators say; the only way to find out is by tracking what you eat and what you lose in the real world. If you lose weight slower than anticipated, adjust your calories downward or your exercise upward. If you lose faster than anticipated, do the reverse.

Oh, and don't forget to recalculate every 5-10lbs of weight loss, since when you're smaller, you don't burn as many calories just by lugging your own weight around, so you'll have to adjust your TDEE downwards.

Hope this helps!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's just the way the multipliers work. Your sedentary TDEE is your BMR x 1.2. So you add 0.2 (one fifth) of your BMR to get your TDEE.

To get your TDEE - 20%, you subtract 0.2 (one fifth) of your TDEE.

Obviously, as the TDEE is a bigger number, a fifth of it is going to be bigger. So your TDEE - 20% will always be below your BMR, if you're using the same BMR in your calculations.

(I know this is obvious, but I didn't notice it until somebody kindly pointed out to me!)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are comparing two different methods of accounting for exercise and then two different methods of subtracting a deficit (percentage versus 500 cals per lb of weight loss a week). But the numbers are very similar.
    TDEE is 1881 with no exercise, minus 20% = 1505
    MFP with no exercise, minus your projected weight loss goal = 1400

Comparison with exercise would be:
    TDEE = 2155 with exercise 3 days a week (exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes)
    Take off 20% = 1725
    MFP = 1400 base calories but you would log and eat back exercise calories.

Either method works so choose the one that suits you best, if exercise per week isn't consistent then MFP is probably better.

• jmawds3
    jmawds3 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am clearer on which ones to log with exercise and which to simply leave. Im still not sure which one I'll use, but all your info helps!!

I'm not totally convinced that I shouldn't eat below my BMR.. From what I've read, BMR id the energy your body spends just to survive, without movement (actually in a comatose state). If I eat below this, I'm not providing my body with the essential energy just to function properly. This wouldn't kill me certainly, but it would leave me feeling completely awful and slow my metabolism over a long period of time. I did start MFP at around 1400 and I felt like total crap. I havent read anything about BMR being a myth, so if you guys could send me some links or tell me why it's different, please do!

• lovemollyanne14
    lovemollyanne14 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As a personal trainer I was taught that you should be NEVER eat less than BMR. This also lowers your BMR and messes with your brain because your brain needs those calories to be able to function. If you do your body goes into starvation mode and your body will hold on to everything you eat and turn it into fat. This is the reason why most people plateau when they do fad diets because they're body goes into starvation mode. Then most people get discouraged and quit eating healthy and they end up gaining all the weight they lost back. Plus some extra because they messed up their metabolism and lowered their BMR
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As a personal trainer I was taught that you should be NEVER eat less than BMR. This also lowers your BMR and messes with your brain because your brain needs those calories to be able to function. If you do your body goes into starvation mode and your body will hold on to everything you eat and turn it into fat. This is the reason why most people plateau when they do fad diets because they're body goes into starvation mode. Then most people get discouraged and quit eating healthy and they end up gaining all the weight they lost back. Plus some extra because they messed up their metabolism and lowered their BMR

How is this possible?! A personal trainer, who is supposed to have the most current and relevant information because people PAY for their advice, believes there's a starvation mode. What in the actual &@!@ ? Someone get me a Starbucks frappuccino, because I just can't.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Eating too little does not cause your body to turn everything to fat. That has been debunked. I urge you to read some recent reputable medical research on this topic! If that happened, POWs and such would be obese, not skeletal. ditto ppl with anorexia. Yes, you can slow down your system *some* if you undereat drastically for a long time. But from there to making you fat, it just is not true.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BMR is really meaningless if you have excess body fat. You just need to know your BMR as part of calculating your TDEE.

If you eat below BMR, your body will use your fat reserves in combination with your calorie intake to get your available energy up to your TDEE. If you eat at or above BMR but still below TDEE, the same thing will occur.

I've lost about 100 pounds while eating below BMR. My personal BMR is about 150 calories lower than the calculators predict for a given body weight - it was that way when I started and it's the same 150 calories lower now so my BMR has not lowered due to eating below BMR.