planet fitness?

Options
tinbru
tinbru Posts: 47 Member
So me and my friends always make fun and joke about planet fitness and how its not really a gym, how they give out free pizza, how they kick you out if u make to much noise, etc. i was just wondering if any of you have ever been their and have a 1st had account of the place.

Replies

• jillxmadelynne
    Options
    I just started going there. I'm a broke, out of shape college student so it works for me. I don't have the money for super pricey gym memberships, nor do I need an extensive amount of freeweights or a crazy amount of classes. The free pizza thing is funny. I just make sure to get out of there early on the first Monday of the month. I would be horribly disappointed if I were a fitness nut looking for tons of body building buddies or needed a hundred classes a week, but as someone just looking to get healthier with basic equipment and a pathetic budget I love it. It meets my needs, not much more, nothing less.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had a membership back in high school and didn't have any issues with it. for $10 a month you can't really have high expectations.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the free pizza, granted it wasn't crap.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I used to go there like four years ago. I see it has changed now. There were power racks for squats. Back them I really didn't do deadlifts until like last year consistently. Maybe it was 5 years ago. I do not really remember. Dumbbells went up to 75 lbs which was fine back then. There were free weight benches.
  • jessmarieRDH
    Options
    I am a member and really like it. There are ppl there lifting heavy weights. There are beginners. It's really just a gym with lots if equipment. I have not been there during the free pizza night, but I think it is a way to say; chill out and don't take everything too seriously. It's not like they are force feeding you the pizza. You can say no or avoid it!
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I still go there, I like it. I hate gyms where people are there to hook up... I want to get sweaty and not be pretty doing it! Yes they have free pizza the first Monday of the month, and Bagel Tuesdays. Planet Fitness is more for people who are starting out, or old like me :) They do a lot of Biggest Loser competitions to get you motivated, and they have Personal Trainers there that don't cost a fortune. My only issue with PF is I wish they had a squat rack, Barbell Rack, and a stair Climber. Other than that, I pay $100 a year up front and they don't take money out of my account. You can get the pricier membership that includes the massage chair, Tanning Beds, and other little perks. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for...
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I looked at joining last year, but knew I would not commit to going on a regular basis so I didn't sign up. Basically what it seems like to me is an inexpensive alternative to places such as Gold's and other larger fitness centers. Essentially for the people that don' t need a bunch of frills, bells and whistles, and just want to get off their *kitten* and do something for their bodies. I see no reason to hate, if you want a fancy gym with fancy prices, go there. Planet Fitness is for people that don't see the point in paying a boatload of bucks for things they probably won't ever use. A Simple Man (or Woman)'s Gym.
  • krhodem
    krhodem Posts: 17
    Options
    I go there and love it. It all depends on what you want in a gym. For me, I wanted the arc trainer and the life fitness elliptical. I also wanted a variety of weight machines and free weights. Planet Fitness had this and was affordable. The facility in my area is very clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. I've never had a problem getting on a machine I wanted. I use to belong to a health spa that offered a variety of classes and machines but only had 2 arc trainers so they were always taken and the place cost $40/mo. To me, Planet Fitness is worth it.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I go there. It is convenient halfway between work and home, so I stop on the way to work. Nice place to get a run on the treadmill since, it can be ridiculously hot in Phoenix to run outside. Certainly not a hard core gym, but for the price and equipment works real well.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If PF works for you, then I say go for it. Not everybody wants to go to a meathead warehouse and be made to feel inferior by a bunch of muscle junkies. As far as the free pizzz, etc...as another posted noted, it's not like it's every night and they're not force feeding anybody.

To say it's a fit shaming joke is a bit extreme, but to each his own. But by all means, discourage people from going to a gym in which they're comfortable.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If PF works for you, then I say go for it. Not everybody wants to go to a meathead warehouse and be made to feel inferior by a bunch of muscle junkies. As far as the free pizzz, etc...as another posted noted, it's not like it's every night and they're not force feeding anybody.

To say it's a fit shaming joke is a bit extreme, but to each his own. But by all means, discourage people from going to a gym in which they're comfortable.

So it is ok for you to name call "Meathead warehouse" "muscle junkies".

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to PF for almost 7 years now. It's clean, our PF has two stairclimbers, all sorts of free weights, plenty of machines and tons of cardio equipment. They don't discourage members from lifting heavy (yes, they have a lot of free weights) and they don't care how you dress. They have pizza on the first Monday of the month, but I don't eat it because I don't want to eat food that a bunch of people who haven't washed their hands have been touching. I like tootsie rolls, but I haven't eaten any there because I'm just plain not hungry right after I have worked out. They have bagels on the first Tuesday morning of the month, but I don't work out in the mornings, so I've never even seen them.

It's a good gym for people who aren't into heavy weight lifting or who aren't serious about body building. There are plenty of those gyms in our area, but that's not what I am after in a gym.

My husband and I pay $99 each for a year, so it's cheap and it meets everything we need in a gym.
  • rikracer1961
    rikracer1961 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I say if it gets you on the right road, who cares! just do it!
  • Schirmann433
    Schirmann433 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I go there. I do however stay away from the candy and pizza. They do have nice equipment and 30 min workout stations
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness, but don't partake in the pizza/candy/bagels EVER. I like to get in, get my cardio done, and get out. It works for me :)
  • Schirmann433
    Schirmann433 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    kk1084 wrote: »
    I go to Planet Fitness, but don't partake in the pizza/candy/bagels EVER. I like to get in, get my cardio done, and get out. It works for me :)

yep same here
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It has it's place....

It's just fine for the vast many people who just want to get a little exercise and fitness in. It also makes a great 2nd gym (I work in a different town from which I live and go to PF by my work on really cold days to get my cardio in).

It does not work for those who want to do more traditional strength training (I'm not talking about just lifting some weights or doing general resistance training...strength training is a thing) or for people like myself who lift with an Oly focus.

I guess I've never been there on pizza day or whatever...but that might come in handy for lunch as I generally workout during my lunch hour.
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I started at PF almost a year ago. I had an issue with not wanting to go to a gym, regardless of my Sports Medicine background. I hated how gyms I've been to in the past have made me feel inferior. Well, I can honestly say, that the friendly atmosphere at my PF has made me continue to go there. I can go anytime I want to, and I typically choose times that I know there aren't a lot of people there. I've received nothing but encouragement from people there, and I have very few complaints.

This gym works for me. I'm not saying that I can go to another PF and receive the same results - just so happens I picked a good one, in my opinion. You go where you feel comfortable. Everyone has an opinion about what gym is the best, or what gym gives the better results. In the end - it comes down to what results YOU want, and how much hard work YOU are willing to put into getting the results. The gym is a means to getting the results, but it all depends on how bad YOU want it. A gym can't force you to work towards the results. You have to do that on your own.
  • meikab22
    meikab22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...I visited the gym yesterday to check it out and you've helped me to decide. Just joined a few minutes ago:)