The lean muscle diet (Schuler and Aragon) - anyone read it yet?

Options
13»

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    azwen wrote: »
    This book looks interesting, but I'm wondering if it's really geared towards men, so that I wouldn't really benefit. What do y'all think?

It may be geared towards men, but women can definitely also use the same common sense approach, especially with the tweaks suggested by Alan in his post above (although I personally found that the calorie calculations used for the men would work just fine for me). The book is also written in a way that makes it a very fun read. Highly recommended!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    azwen wrote: »
    This book looks interesting, but I'm wondering if it's really geared towards men, so that I wouldn't really benefit. What do y'all think?

It's great for both genders. You'll just need to tweak a few of the equations, see Alan's post earlier in this thread.

Get the book, it's outstanding.
  • AlanAragon
    AlanAragon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

Kalikel - think the book title is hilarious, but it's what Rodale (the publisher) thinks will grab the target audience, rank high in keyword searches, etc. We really didn't have much say in the title, but the good thing is that we were 100% in charge of the content, so I figured it was a fair trade-off.

Psulemon - the continuum of recomp magnitude ranges from over-fat, deconditioned/formerly fit folks (high capacity for recomp) to folks who are close to their potential for muscle mass or leanness (little to no capacity for recomp). Individuals vary widely along that continuum. Also keep in mind that people's status is dynamic depending on how consistent & progressive or inconsistent their training cycles are.

Sam - nothing scheduled for Laurent Bannock's podcast at the moment.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I am lol'ing so hard at the moment
    What are you 'laughing out loud'ing so hard at the moment about? MrM, making fun of Kalikel, making fun of the (everyone including the authors know it's stupid) book title?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I listened to the Fitcast podcast this morning as well. It explains the broad outline of the book, the original title and why the publisher suggested this title - it will probably get more sales. And as they should, that is their (the publishers) job.

The book actually sounds pretty good - probably nothing that a well read and experienced person couldn't already put together, but I would probably buy it anyway because as I said it sounds pretty good and this sort of thing is what these guys do best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Wow...pray to God and he appears...
    Lol, naw he just saw his name in a title. So that's what we should do more often. It's great when Alan drops by.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I'll have to buy a copy now. At the very least, it's a write off...........................I kid Alan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AlanAragon wrote: »
    Thank you all, I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

Kalikel - think the book title is hilarious, but it's what Rodale (the publisher) thinks will grab the target audience, rank high in keyword searches, etc. We really didn't have much say in the title, but the good thing is that we were 100% in charge of the content, so I figured it was a fair trade-off.

Psulemon - the continuum of recomp magnitude ranges from over-fat, deconditioned/formerly fit folks (high capacity for recomp) to folks who are close to their potential for muscle mass or leanness (little to no capacity for recomp). Individuals vary widely along that continuum. Also keep in mind that people's status is dynamic depending on how consistent & progressive or inconsistent their training cycles are.

Sam - nothing scheduled for Laurent Bannock's podcast at the moment.

Thank you for that clarification. I appreciate the follow up.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I am lol'ing so hard at the moment
    What are you 'laughing out loud'ing so hard at the moment about? MrM, making fun of Kalikel, making fun of the (everyone including the authors know it's stupid) book title?

Marketing.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Because of this thread I got my copy on Kindle now and am having trouble staying away from it. I really like Schuler's writing style.

I sure hope Kalikel, and many others, purchase it. Lots of good stuff and I am only 13% into it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my copy. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time in the bathroom! Oh, that came out wrong, I think.