Now to decrease body fat percentage

Options
I'm a 58 year old female, and have reached my weight goal of 60kg. My aim for this year is to decrease my body fat percentage, which is probably around 28 to 30 percent based on my Withings scale. I'm active, go to the gym and take Pilates.

Any ideas, folks?

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Lose another couple of kilos until you're under 20% body fat, all the while learning some weight lifting moves from say , Strong Curves, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Then go on a bulk with 250 cals over maintenance per day, heavy lifting and slowly building some muscle. See what happens when you get back to 60kg again. Always eat more than 100g of protein a day and heavy lift-whether you're cutting or bulking.

If you feel the need to cut again, do it really slowly, your body composition will have changed a fair bit though.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm 56. My weight has been stable for several years, but I've lost several inches off waist and hips. I just walk, so I'm attributing it to going between a standing desk and a Pilates ball chair. Ups your core muscle exercise and keeps you moving just a bit all day.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting. Note at your age, you are still within the 'ideal' range. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lose another couple of kilos until you're under 20% body fat, all the while learning some weight lifting moves from say , Strong Curves, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Then go on a bulk with 250 cals over maintenance per day, heavy lifting and slowly building some muscle. See what happens when you get back to 60kg again. Always eat more than 100g of protein a day and heavy lift-whether you're cutting or bulking.

If you feel the need to cut again, do it really slowly, your body composition will have changed a fair bit though.
    Even if I lose two kilos, it won't bring me down to under 20%, I'm afraid. Even if I lose 2 kg of 100% fat, that still gives me 27% body fat.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting. Note at your age, you are still within the 'ideal' range. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

It's just disheartening to still see blubber around the waist :( I have lost cm around the waist though - 92 to 75 cm.

I hate this getting old business.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    lifting weights will help you lose more fat.. even if you actually just lose that two kilos.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options

It's just disheartening to still see blubber around the waist :( I have lost cm around the waist though - 92 to 75 cm.

Lol, I hear ya on that!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your body fat reading may or may not be accurate but can give you a trend over time. How you look and feel is more important so would say take pictures and track measurements.
    In our 50's it also takes time for our skin to catch up with weight loss unless you are genetically blessed. What you see now may well improve with time.

Lift heavy (a structured program is best unless you are very experienced) and be patient.

"I hate this getting old business" - Go down fighting and grow old disgracefully!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had that bubbly blubber when I first lost because what used to be fat was now empty! It's like after you have a baby.

Really, walking and the Pilates chair all day and TIME made it disappear.

I also recommend the silly exercise my mom taught me as a kid that really works. Lay on your back. Push your belly out as far as you can. Hold 10 seconds. Pull it in as far as you can. Hold 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times. Do as often as you can. Tones the muscles. You can put books on your belly if you want. You can even do it while you're driving (along with your kegels).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lifting weights will help you lose more fat.. even if you actually just lose that two kilos.

And lifting weights is also great for maintaining your bone mass, which will also become a serious issue at your age.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 5'6" and 148 lb...just got a body pod test and I'm at 28.5% bodyfat. I'm doing to do a touch more weight loss - just 10 weeks at a 10% deficit while weight lifting and then I'm going to try to do a recomp. I realise that it will take a LONG time to get down to 25% bodyfat which is my goal. I do Stronglifts 5x5.
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I needed to lose fat, I knew that just lifting weights wouldn't be enough, as a man who likes to challenge my physical limits. So, I devised a compound movement higher rep weight routine and decimated my fat. If your lifts become aerobic instead of anaerobic, you will burn fat easily while eating correctly.
  • JBuchananon
    JBuchananon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What is your lean body mass? Congratulations on Obtaining your goal!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Change your exercise to incorporate strength/resistance training, also circuit training gets great results, I lost loads of inches all over doing these, and my weight remains the same.
    I'm 5ft 2, 45yrs, 134lbs and bf was 23% last I checked ☺

I've heard scales aren't accurate for calculating body fat.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted try nerdfitness.com it is an effective body weight routine that you can progress on.

Also remember a heavy lifting routine is lifting things that are heavy for you; don't worry what others can lift.

I thought I should be lifting great weights so was scared off for ages; now I realize a squat with a weight that I can do 5 reps 5 times is the weight I need, and can progress from there.
    It will take ages for me to progress to a barbell, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is slowly upping the weights.
    My jiggley arms and inner thighs are showing improvements in their firmness( I can wave without cringing) and my straight up and down body is growing a waist.
    BF according to my scale and the USMC on line measurements is around 20% from 25%.

Doing weight bearing exercises while maintaining will probably work well for you.
    Cheers, h.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

You've done well so far!

Prove society wrong! There's plenty of sexy older women. My Pilates teacher is 79 and kicks everyone's *kitten*, she is sexy strong and vital. There's many older women to be inspired by, try a Google search. Bollocks to it that's what I say! When my partner left me I was 42 and washed up. Now I've been weight lifting and watching my food I'm fighting younger guys off with sticks!

Age is just a frikkin number.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your body fat reading may or may not be accurate but can give you a trend over time. How you look and feel is more important so would say take pictures and track measurements.
    In our 50's it also takes time for our skin to catch up with weight loss unless you are genetically blessed. What you see now may well improve with time.

Lift heavy (a structured program is best unless you are very experienced) and be patient.

"I hate this getting old business" - Go down fighting and grow old disgracefully!

:heart_eyes:

this - all the way