Back pain (disc issues) anyone have suggestions?

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question for the masses in regards to back pain. I did a search but couldn't find any information I was looking for. I have a displaced lumbar disc. I have had epi injections twice already. The docs say to "lose weight" and my back pains / bulging discs will heal over time.

This does not help me now. I am motivated to do the work, but my body can't keep up. I throw my back out at least every 3 months, and then the injury takes me out of the game for at least a month. This is no muscle strain. This is a "holy *kitten*, I can't move" pain. If you have had spine pain before, you know what I mean.

I can feel my spine tweak every time I move in my chair, or twist wrong on the elliptical, or heaving dumbells up after a bench press set.

I worry daily that I will throw my back out, and I am sick of it interrupting my lifestyle change. I currently do daily stretches (lying on my back and bringing knees to my chest, and lying on my stomach and doing the superman).

Anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe something I can do daily in my sedentary job? My next step is surgery if I can't get this routinely reoccurring pain to stop.

Thanks!

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I sure hope someone can offer something to your post...I'm suffering too with back issues and haven't been to the gym since beginning of November! It totally ruins your day, as it's sure hard to concentrate on anything!
    Good luck...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says to lose weight, what you need to do is quit eating so much. As for exercise, I would think focusing on the legs through walking, running, or cycling would be better than doing things that would make your back problem worse.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    FLAKMA wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a quick question for the masses in regards to back pain. I did a search but couldn't find any information I was looking for. I have a displaced lumbar disc. I have had epi injections twice already. The docs say to "lose weight" and my back pains / bulging discs will heal over time.

This does not help me now. I am motivated to do the work, but my body can't keep up. I throw my back out at least every 3 months, and then the injury takes me out of the game for at least a month. This is no muscle strain. This is a "holy *kitten*, I can't move" pain. If you have had spine pain before, you know what I mean.

I can feel my spine tweak every time I move in my chair, or twist wrong on the elliptical, or heaving dumbells up after a bench press set.

I worry daily that I will throw my back out, and I am sick of it interrupting my lifestyle change. I currently do daily stretches (lying on my back and bringing knees to my chest, and lying on my stomach and doing the superman).

Anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe something I can do daily in my sedentary job? My next step is surgery if I can't get this routinely reoccurring pain to stop.

Thanks!

Honestly- lifting weights may have to be placed on hold for now. Can you get a referral to a physical therapist? They can tell you what types of exercises would be best for you right now.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 back surgeries to include a lumbar fusion L5-S1... For me (and I lift weights), I had to adjust how I did things for a long time. Once I began lifting weights (and I KNOW that sounds weird), I have not had an issue since. I progress slower than other people but I am OK with that and go at what I know I can handle - I don't try and push myself over the edge and beyond what my back can handle... I think the muscle building around it has helped tremendously - improves posture as well. Cardio pains me more than lifting weights which is probably why I hate it so much lol

Losing weight is the diet part which for me was just changing up my eating but I still have what I want.
  • FLAKMA
    FLAKMA Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm down 26 lbs already with a long ways to go. Just found out about this site recently. Clambert, did you do any specific excercises to strengthen the lower back? I've been trying to find one to add into my routine.

I may go the route that elphie mentions and see what a physicial therapist may suggest.

Appreciate the comments!
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i had an L4/L5 tear and and L5/S1 herniation, still suffer with them, but back to (almost) all of my activities - i had to start with the basics - nothing but walking. lots of it. I did a lot of core and stabalising work too so that the muscles in that area were as strong and supportive as possible, and then eventually i got back to a point of running/spinning etc. I still get flare ups sometimes that put me back on the bench but for me, if i keep my core strength up, I get fewer flareups and can do more. I'd say start with doing as much walking as you can, and then perhaps if you have gym access, recumbent bike (the one with the chair and pedals in front of you rather than under you if that makes sense) and try and get your core strength up via bodyweight exercise only to start, and progress from there.
    - This was based on advice given by my physiotherapist. If you can, see a physiotherapist to get them to recommend exercises appropriate to you, but I suspect walking and core strength will make the list in some form or another!
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bump as I've got an L5 prolapse and it SUCKS
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am probably not a good one to go by LOL I do heavy lifting so I own a squat rack, barbell, and weights so I follow (right now) the Strong Lifts program but will move on to others eventually... I started small like above using bodyweight for squats to work on form and just get the hang of stabilizing muscles and then I moved up to the bar weight only... before my issues last July (non-related) I was able to squat 90lbs and was consistently moving up in weight. Deadlifts took a lot of practice so that I wasn't using my back fully but instead using legs, glutes, core to lift. Once the form is good and doing properly - it is pretty amazing how much it helps :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've got very badly compressed L3/4/5 discs from multiple prolapses.
    The bulging you have now (and associated nerve impingement) can improve with time.

The major thing that helped me manage acute episodes was finding a brilliant Osteopath but also being on a suitable drug regime that included antispasmodics (along with painkillers and strong anti-inflammatories) helped enormously in the few days after an event.

Getting the weight off makes a massive difference - I lived on constant anti-inflammatory drugs but now hardly ever take any. Vertical compression is your enemy with disc problems.

A game changer for me in terms of capability and avoiding further prolapses/capsule tears was improving my core and ab strength to help support my spine. At first it was using a gym ball but I've steadily improved and increased the range, duration, weight and difficulty and got to a point that seemed completely unobtainable when I was getting disc episodes getting out of bed or washing the car. 10 years ago I was under "final warning" of major fusion surgery and now I'm in good shape for an old fart!

It's a long term project, years not weeks. But the difference in quality of life is amazing.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm down 26 lbs already with a long ways to go. Just found out about this site recently. Clambert, did you do any specific excercises to strengthen the lower back? I've been trying to find one to add into my routine.

I may go the route that elphie mentions and see what a physicial therapist may suggest.

Appreciate the comments!

Congrats on your weightloss so far. I really think a PT is the way to go, and most insurances will cover it if it means you may not need surgery. I also wanted to suggest yoga. No I don't mean the new hot yoga studio craze lol (my balance at first was piss poor so that would have been humiliating). YouTube has some great gentle yoga videos. I don't know what cable provider you have but in optimum, under free on demand, there are also some good videos that change every so often. Yoga has actually helped me tremendously with my back pain. I had burning pain after only 5 min of walking earlier last year (aug). Mine was not from an injury though, rather just being inactive and gaining a lot of weight in only 10 months. Losing 40 lbs has also helped.

I also wanted to suggest that you look into the shoes you wear. It might sound ridiculous but ill fitting shoes can also cause back pain. If you plan on doing cardio, I reccomend being fitted for sneakers. Having the right shoes can sometimes make a huge difference.

Make sure that you lift with your legs, back straight with no twisting motions, whenever you are lifting. This will prevent doing further harm and is good practice for the health of your back.

Do you take any pain medication, whether it be prescription or over the counter? What helped me to go to work was aleve. I took it before work to minimize how bad my back would hurt doing simple activities. It wasnt a miracle cure, but it helped take the edge off. If you are not taking anything, I reccomend asking your doctor if something like aleve (NSAID) would help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss. It's that simple.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from back pain and sciatica. I do routine visits to my chiropractor which I know is not for everyone! I also found a trainer who modifies excersises and weights to my needs! She is amazing and has helped greatly! Inquire at your gym if any trainer can work with you. I found it helped strengthen my core and I don't throw my back out as often!
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Getting a standing desk made a huge difference for me - even with a lumbar support sitting in chairs is bad for me. Also, a TENS unit (you can find many on Amazon, although I got one through insurance from my chiro) helps a lot at managing pain when its bad.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Find a physical therapist who can teach you proper stretching and safe ways to move in regards to the chair.
    Skip the elliptical and dumb bells for now. Take walks if that is safe for you.
    The best thing you can do for your back is to eat less food. Good luck.

• canuck_OHS
    canuck_OHS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have some serious issues in my lower back as well and suffer from sciatica. My problems are in L4 L5 and L5 S1. My MRI a few years back showed herniated discs and serious degenerative disc disease way earlier than I should have developed it. Now this year I have develop an instability problem in those same areas which has resulted in serious fantom tailbone pain (fractured it about 10 years ago) and sciatica. A wonderful combination ... NOT.... What works for me is physio. My therapist does some manual manipulation, traction and acupuncture. I am now in a remission again and just do the core strength exercises at home that he gave me. I have slacked off the past month and I can sure feel the pain creeping back... but as soon as I do a round of the exercises the next day my symptoms are much less. I know I need to be consistent, I think it is key. As far as lifting weights I have no advice other than to say my phsyio therapist told me certain ways I should AVOID moving because it will worsen my problems.
    I wish you healing and pain relief!
  • kazg84
    kazg84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i feel for you, my husband is suffering from bulging discs for a year now and now has to get surgery. i think he done to much at work, exercise etc and never really gave himself time to recover and made himself worse. He was told to just walk and do his stretches every day. So hope someone can help and look after yourself!
  • britishbeau
    britishbeau Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, and i dont know much about the condition. so idk if this would help or hinder you.

but i got a vibration plate about 2 months ago. and have had knee problems for about a year, if i use the vibration plate even once a week it makes it a hell of a lot better, and my mum says her back and plantar faciitis is a million times better when she uses it.

i bought mine second hand pretty cheap and its one of the best things ive ever bought
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have missing lumbar ligaments from a car crash so not quite the same, but I do throw my back out (just did recently) so I know how immobilizing that is.

My favorite core move, because it works all around the core, is the "awkward airplane" pose. Get on hands and knees, lift right arm and left leg (or vice versa) straight out, hold, then move them out to the sides. Hold as best you can, for 30 seconds if you can make it. For me, it's both easier on my back than the superman is (it doesn't like to stretch that way) and a better strength move, because all of your core muscles support your back.

When I just threw my back out, I waited until I could move around and then hit the Korean spa. Hours in hot tubs and saunas and a massage and it felt MUCH better. Even without the massage, get that heat time in to chill the muscles out and help recover more quickly. (ETA if I have anything to say about it, Korean spa will be the next craze to hit the nation. There should be one on every block)

Also for low back pain, a good "pose" is to lay on your back, with your legs up a wall. Scoot your butt right up against the wall and your legs go straight up, or in a froggy pose if they're tired. Gravity will relax your back. It's good stuff.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have bad L4/L5 problems and a few years ago it was so bad that one morning I couldn't move the lower half of my body. I was in so much agony and was completely terrified :(

Anyway - Now I see a chiropractor on a regular basis and it feels great!

Now - I can only go by what my doctor tells me so please don't get snarky, but he said absolutely NO heavy lifting, no biking and no hardcore cardio. He recommended yoga, pilates, walking (not running) and swimming.

If you don't want to see a chiropractor, maybe get referred to a good P/T - I did that for a while but needed the upkeep from the chiro so the disks wouldn't slip again.

And since I lost 50 pounds I have much less back issues ;)
  • Suegeee
    Suegeee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I've just found this thread from several months ago in a search...I've got herniated discs and all that mess, and looking for people in the same situation where exercise is impossible so must lose weight via dieting. Anyone want to carry on a group?