Do I have Shin Splints?

Hi All,

I've started walking in April - and have worked up to my furthest distance of 7 miles and up to about 17min/mile.

If I "take it easy" and go for distance instead of speed, I have no problems - about say 18min/mile.

If however, I walk as fast as I can - about 16.5min/mile - my lower legs, on the front, outside - lower part of my legs will start hurting - sort of a burn. It will become difficult to "lift" my foot - and I have to start "flopping my foot out" as I step. If I keep my speed up constantly - this pain really lasts for about 1/2mile - and goes away about 2 miles later. However I notice instead of walking normally, I'm doing the foot flop thing and coming down flat footed instead of heel first like a normal walk.

The pain goes away when I stop walking. However, come to think of it - if I kind of flex my leg now sitting here - like I'm tensing that muscle that lifts my foot - it's sore.

I did walk 5 miles yesterday setting a personal speed record of 5 miles in 1:24.

Shin splints? What can I do? I went to a real running store, and went through about 10 pairs of shoes before getting some Asics - they said I pronate, so I got shoes to correct that.

Thanks for reading & replying. :smile:

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Bump
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    probably shin splints.
    take a day or two off from running.
    ice those shins.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    It may be shin splints, I had the same pain about 3 weeks ago and googled it and found that there are several possible sources to that kind of pain. One thing that I've read about shin splits is that the pain is chronic (typically) not intermittent like I experienced and how you described.

It could be worn out shoes, not stretching enough, poor form, pushing yourself too fast too soon ect. I went out and got some new running shoes and I stretch religiously and have not had the pain since.

Focus on stretching the muscles out more and check your shoes since these are the easiest things to fix first, if the pain persist then it may be time to slow down on the speed.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Sounds like it. I would (a) go back to the running store and tell them you are experiencing shin splints--they might be able to recommend an orthotic insert or another shoe; (b) stop or scale back your walking to let the inflammation reside--you can try another form of exercise (swimming would be great) in the meantime; (c) when you resume walking, start easy and try shin splint-specific exercises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQc9Xi0x6w&feature=related).
  • Chicka_Boom
    Chicka_Boom Posts: 62
    That sounds like it might be shin splints. I used to run, and I got really awful shin splints. I wish that I could tell you that I did something and they magically went away, but instead I switched to mostly running on a treadmill. I do have some advice that might help you out, though.

There are several things that can cause shin splints. Usually it's a problem experienced by beginning runners due to poor running technique, incorrect footwear, and/or weak/non-stretched shin muscles. You said that you are an overpronator (foot & ankle roll inward), which can be a big contributing factor. Getting fitted for the right shoes can help with that - did you tell them that you have issues with your shins? If you are going from a long period of inactivity & then trying to start running/fast walking too quickly, that might be the problem - try working up to it a bit more slowly.

I can't understate the importance of stretching. You shouldn't be running on cold muscles: you should always do a warm up, stretch out really well & make sure you're stretching your shins. Try standing in front of a step with your left foot on the ground, then place the ball of your right foot on the step and bend your knee while leaning forward. Repeat with the other leg. There are loads of other stretches you can do, just google 'em. It will most certainly help you if you work to strengthen those shin muscles outside of your running/walking session - again, google is your friend here. Just look up "shin exercises" & you'll have more suggestions than you'll know what to do with!

You can also look into changing your running surface while you work on your strength & technique. The impact from running on a hard surface, like concrete, running on uneven ground, & running uphill or downhill can all contribute to shin splints. The solution for that is to seek out a better running surface, like a treadmill or a track specifically designed for running, and to avoid hills until your strength & technique have improved.

Your running/walking technique may also be to blame. Many specialty running shoe stores offer running classes/groups, often free of charge, where you can work on your technique. You should avoid leaning too far forward or backwards, landing on the balls of your feet, or running with your feet pointing outwards (I call that "duck feet"). Do a little research, take a class or two, and make sure that your technique is up to par.

Good luck!
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Thanks for all of the information. I just started having problems yesterday and trying to figure what to do.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Yeah thanks everyone - btw, I'm walking, not running. I tried c25k, but my knees swelled up immediately. I thought walking would be less impact.

I don't know if I said, but I went to the running store and was fitted for running shoes - with the whole video analysis, etc. The shoes are fairly new, with <100 miles on them. Hate to go blow another $150 on the shoes ... but I guess it's cheaper than other alternatives.

I will definitely look into stretching - I haven't been stretching at all. Don't really know what to stretch for shin muscles - stretch calves?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member

I will definitely look into stretching - I haven't been stretching at all.

:frown:

There are probably lots of sites that can give you pictorials, but what I have found is that what stretches my achilles simultaneously stretches that shin muscle.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Good info so far.

Definately stretch.
    Take a day or two off, or atleast scale back. Shin Splints are a cumulative injury, meaning if you don't give them time, they only get worse.
    After working out, take a nice warm shower, or a bath with epsom salt (great stuff IMO). Then ice your shins for 10-20 minutes. Don't go over 20 though.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Chicka_Boom Posts: 62
    Yeah thanks everyone - btw, I'm walking, not running. I tried c25k, but my knees swelled up immediately. I thought walking would be less impact.

I don't know if I said, but I went to the running store and was fitted for running shoes - with the whole video analysis, etc. The shoes are fairly new, with <100 miles on them. Hate to go blow another $150 on the shoes ... but I guess it's cheaper than other alternatives.

I will definitely look into stretching - I haven't been stretching at all. Don't really know what to stretch for shin muscles - stretch calves?

Stretching is super-important AND so is doing additional strengthening moves for your shins/legs. Stretching & strengthening the muscles there will really help you out. I know that I said running a lot in my post (I'm a runner), but the advice pretty much applies either way! Also, once you get your leg muscles strengthened a bit and work on your walking technique, you may find that you can give that C25K program another try!

Most likely, your problem is a combination of incorrect walking technique and underdeveloped/understretched muscles. First, you need to rest & ice those shins until they're better. Do something lower impact, like getting on an elliptical, while you recover. You probably don't need to buy new shoes, unless the sole of your shoes is inflexible, and I can't imagine any qualified salesperson at a running store would sell you hard-soled shoes. When you're standing, you should be able to flex & roll your foot. If you can, your shoes are probably fine.

Believe it or not, there is a proper walking technique - it seems strange to have to learn to do something as basic as walking, but there it is. Overstriding is one thing that can cause shin splints; beginning walkers/runners tend to put their front foot too far forward in their stride, leading to an awkward gait & more impact for your joints - when you walk, try to keep your stride longer in back and shorter in front. When you want to speed up, push off of your back leg - that's where your power should be coming from. You also should roll your foot through the stride, not slap it down flat onto the ground. If you're doing that, it could be due to lack of leg strength (so do those exercises!) or shoes that are not flexible enough. There's more to it, but I included a good link below that covers all of this & more.

Google is definitely your friend here. I can type out all of the exercises & stretches I do, but it's all available online. Some resources for you to get started with:

Walking technique & avoiding mistakes (overstriding, shoes, foot "slapping," etc.): http://walking.about.com/cs/beginners/a/10mistakes1.htm
    Causes & treatments for shin splints: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/a/ShinSplints.htm
    Exercises for shin splints: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm
    Shin splint stretches: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/stretching.php

If you look, you'll find a TON more information. You might also try looking up videos on Youtube that illustrate proper walking technique & shin exercises/stretches. Hope this helps you out!
  • DavidJPerkins
    DavidJPerkins Posts: 25 Member
    When i started the c25k program I had BAAAAD shin pains. I got fitted for shoes at a runners store and got some compression shin socks. They disappeared in a week. I still felt pain the first few days when I ran, but it was WAY better. and now hardly have any issues.
    The show thing was an eye opener, when ya run ya need a shoe size a little bigger cause your feet swell when ya run and ya need room for our toes. I found this to be so true when I tried to run in an old pair of shoes at the Warrior Dash and they fit perfect for walking, but when I ran I could feel my toes get cramped.
  • Pseudocyber
    I happened to be at a Pediatrist (sp?) today for another issue - and I asked him about the pains. He said, "Yep - Shin Splints". Anterior (outside?). He recommended warming up with an easy "normal" walk, then stretching. And stretching afterwards. He said I could also try different shoes, although the ones I have are good shoes (Asic's Kayano).
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Hi
    Seen your posts around for a while. Just curious, why anti beach body and anti gnc?
    Thanks
    Janet
  • Pseudocyber
    @Dragonfly11, "you talking to me?" :smile: