advice needed.. urgently before i hit the gym! Back pain

Options
Been suffering with moderate to severe back pain since last friday, convinced 100% that this is muscular, pain is worse if i sit down then try to move afterwards, however, if i go to the gym i get 2-4 hours of complete pain relief!

I had symphasis pubis dysfunction in pregnancy (bubs 20 months old now) and have been left with some sacro-illiac and pelvic instability, last year i lost 6 stone which improved pain levels, but recently (since october) gained back a stone and have felt back pain increasing until sudden hit (again i think this is muscular now) 6 days a go.

i don't really want to stop my routine (training for a 100 mile bike ride)

which statement would you agree with :

a. continuing with usual gym session will strengthen core, and stability, and also use the muscle that is kicking off right now, therefore, continuing will increase recovery rate.

or

b. the relief i am feeling from the exercise is endorpin based and my back needs to rest up, which will increase recovery rate.

Replies

• rlv20
    rlv20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a question you should ask your doctor, not internet strangers.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Agree with Robin.

You need a

C. Go talk to your Dr.

I would choose C.

Back issues are nothing to mess with, and it is worth getting the ok that you are good to go.
  • clairecrowther
    clairecrowther Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    a call to NHS 111 for advice on which service to attend (GP, A&E or minor injuries unit) said lower muscular back pain, no service selfcare, analgesia and heat no rest. my question was to ask for opinion on what people in the same situation would do!
  • clairecrowther
    clairecrowther Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Agree with Robin.

You need a

C. Go talk to your Dr.

I would choose C.

Back issues are nothing to mess with, and it is worth getting the ok that you are good to go.

as above spoken to NHS advice line, advised selfcare with no rest. (and no trip to the GP surgery warranted!)

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would want a dr that knows my past issues to issue work orders, not a symptom checking phone number. That is my opinion though. If you think dropping weight will solve your issues than I would try to find something low impact to help with that. Elliptical, swimming, etc.

It is still worth a call to your own Dr to see what he/she has to say about it.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Find a physio/physical therapist/sports med dr and get down to the root cause of your pain.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    a call to NHS 111 for advice on which service to attend (GP, A&E or minor injuries unit) said lower muscular back pain, no service selfcare, analgesia and heat no rest. my question was to ask for opinion on what people in the same situation would do!

If I was in your situation, I would go to a doctor.
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dr told me to take pain relief and exercise. It made me worse, and I ended up in hospital. Find a good practicioner, osteo or chiro, and keep moving, but not really hard exercise until you have been sorted. Good luck. Nutty
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You got the NHS advice, so good. If I were in your shoes I would continue to exercise...cautiously. No wrenching, twisting kind of stuff. Kind dynamic stretching after the workout.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE DOCTOR...sorry for yelling. I had a *sore* back too. It turns out my L5 disc was bulging and stubborn me kept on working through it. It ended up rupturing and I've been off work and the gym since Sept.