Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Liz-lemon-eye-roll.gif
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, there isn't much value in weighing daily. You can easily gain four pounds or more just from the weight of your food. It takes two days for it to come back out and sometimes a lot of it comes out very quickly. If you weigh once a week at the same time on the same day, your weight figures will tend to be more consistent.

I disagree. If you can take away any emotions to the number on the scale, the data you can collect from weighing daily can be very beneficial. It helped me to see daily fluctuations and watch for overall trends. Data is very valuable to me
    The weight of the food sitting in you gut doesn't tell you anything about weight loss. It sounds like you just want the data for the sake of having the data. That's fine, but not everyone has that as one of their goals.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep weigh ins to once a week on a monday , I am obsessed with what scales say at minute, just want to know I'm doing it right. Ha

Can I suggest that you take your measurements as well. Especially if you are going to start lifting.

I weigh myself everyday... I'm a bit obsessed and what I have found is that I retain a lot of water at any excuse. My largest overnight gain is 4kg which is about 9lb. No way I ate that much in one night. I find that because one meal or drink can cause such large water weight gains the only way for me to track my weight properly is to weigh every day. I have got over the emotional bit of the small gains as I can see the overall direction is down.

However the inch loss does not vary every day. I've lost 3 inches from my bust, 5 inches from my waist, 7 inches from my hips and 4 inches off each thigh. These are the things that people and most importantly yourself can see

Good luck with everything
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I know it will be hard work

I'm a firm believer in "if it's hard work, you're doin' it wrong" philosophy.

It's demoralizing for every day to be hard, and you'll never stick with it.

You need to consider setting a pace that will be moderately comfortable, and something you can stick with for as long as necessary. For some of us that's a few weeks/months. For others it's years/lifetime.

Make it as easy on yourself as possible. Set moderate, reasonable goals.

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

It's demoralizing for every day to be hard, and you'll never stick with it

This this this!

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »

This this this!

Shhh, everyone will be less impressed if they know it really isn't all that hard!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I cut salt and sugar! Sodium alone will put 2 -3 lbs on the scale any day.

Drink more water (I know it sucks but it works) to keep the water retention down. You have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain 1 lb. So if you eat 500 cals a day over maintenance for 5 - 6 days you will gain that lb.

I also do not drink my calories. This eliminates 200 - 300 calories that I can eat instead and keep my deficit.

Exercise is my bonus and do not eat that back unless I am eating out or I want to eat at a social gathering.

• kb528
    kb528 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometime gain can be when a food reacts wrong with your body. I found through eliminating eggs dairy and potatoes my body does better. Water gain can be a reaction
  • aemech97
    Options
    Clairabelle01, just wanted to toss my two cents in here. 1.) Keep your head up, your not alone out here :-) (feel free to add/message me) 2.) You seem like a hard worker, and doing things correctly. Remember good things come to those who wait. Keeping in mind a few things....When you working out you may need to adjust your caloric intake to keep your body in Ketosis (losing the weight) by working out so much may put your body in starvation mode if you don't eat enough (of the good stuff). Theres a fine line when exercise and eating to lose (everyones different). You will get there. Patience is a good thing! Once you find what works for you, have no doubts the weight WILL come off :-)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The weight of the food sitting in you gut doesn't tell you anything about weight loss. It sounds like you just want the data for the sake of having the data. That's fine, but not everyone has that as one of their goals.

Actually, as John Walker explains in The Hacker's Diet, knowing how your daily weight compares with the exponentially smoothed moving average of your weight does provide useful information. If most of the time your daily weight is below the average, you are losing weight even if one morning you weigh 3 lb. more than the previous morning. If the daily weight is usually above the average, you're gaining weight. If your daily weight is above the average around half the time, and below it the other half, and the average is more or less constant, then you're maintaining. In that sense, daily weighings can serve as an early warning of weight gain in the way that weekly weighings don't, because your once weekly weighing is also subject to fluctuations, and it will take a lot longer to identify a trend.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Pootler74 wrote: »

This this this!

Shhh, everyone will be less impressed if they know it really isn't all that hard!

I know. I have a bad habit of answering "how did you do it" questions with something like "calorie counting, exercise, and a lot of hard work". It really hasn't been that hard. Sure there were times that I was a little hungry or wanted to eat something and had to tell myself no because I was already at my calories, but it wasn't a constant daily struggle.

For some reason I always feel like I have to say it. I guess its because everyone starts going on and on about how hard weight loss is and I feel weird being all meh about it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

Actually, as John Walker explains in The Hacker's Diet, knowing how your daily weight compares with the exponentially smoothed moving average of your weight does provide useful information. If most of the time your daily weight is below the average, you are losing weight even if one morning you weigh 3 lb. more than the previous morning. If the daily weight is usually above the average, you're gaining weight. If your daily weight is above the average around half the time, and below it the other half, and the average is more or less constant, then you're maintaining. In that sense, daily weighings can serve as an early warning of weight gain in the way that weekly weighings don't, because your once weekly weighing is also subject to fluctuations, and it will take a lot longer to identify a trend.

If you're eating fewer calories than you are burning, your trend will be down, whether you weigh everyday or not.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Even though my overall goal is to lose weight, the scale is not directly under my control. With regular weighing this past month, I've discovered I can fluctuate as much as three pounds a day! I can't let my success and my emotions be tied to the @#$% scale.

So I set behavioral goals that are entirely under my control. Your choice to eat more meat and vegetables over starchy carbs is an example. I predict that those sorts of choices will eventually show on the scale, but not right away. Count yourself a success if you make a behavioral change and stick with it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/setting-goals-715717
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    working out so much may put your body in starvation mode if you don't eat enough
    Starvation mode is when your body starts using muscle for energy, because there's not enough fat or carbs (glucose, glycogen) left. It's a last-ditch effort, a hope that you'll find food before so much muscle is lost that your heart or diaphragm stop working & you die.

That takes a _long_ time of eating considerably below your calorie needs. Months of a VLCD.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    3 week before Xmas joined a gym and cut out sugar and carbs. Lost 2lb in the 3 week which was disappointing, i suppose it feels little reward for eatong chicken and veg every day and it's killing me in gym, it's definitely harder running with all this weight than it used to be a few year back. Been doing intervals, where I run at top speed for 1 minute then walk for a minute. It's harder than I ever realised, I am super unfit but pushing with all I have. I have now cut back my diet to around 1200 calories and sticking to protein and veggies, and just desperate for scales to go down, I'm on day 6
    In the 3 weeks before that, had you lost any weight? No? Then you're ahead, aren't you?
    Eat a varied diet, of things you like, in reasonable portions. Don't cut out anything, unless maybe it's something you can't control eating (for me, cookies & potato chips).

This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Don't overdo the exercise, don't throw yourself into it so hard all at once when you are out of shape & have been that way for a while. Ease into it. Don't get hurt, don't burn yourself out, don't get frustrated.

Also, 1200 cal is pretty low for an person of average height. Is 120 lb a healthy goal weight for you? Then don't eat that little. Start with dropping 500-1000 cal from what you had previously been eating (which is probably 10x your current weight). When you hit a plateau, or if you don't lose weight in a couple weeks, drop another 50-100 cal.
    I'm 5'10"-ish, started at 275 lb eating 1700 cal/day. Now I'm just under 200 lb eating 1400 cal/day.
    So it's not the types of food you eat, for example would it make a difference if you ate 1200 cals of lean protein vs 1200 cals of pastry? Doesn't certain foods burn fat more efficiently.
    For losing (or gaining) weight, only calories matter.
    For health, yes, what you eat matters a lot.
    And no, foods do not burn fat, only your body does that.

51637601.png