Still at a deficit but gained weight? Water retention??

Options
2»

Replies

• danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Agreed it's only an estimate. But it's a better estimate than MFP or me just making #'s up. Plus, I started exercising by walking only last April. Now I do a stationary bike and walking (walkings on hold until normal temps again) I just got an HRM for Christmas and have been using that to measure the biking I do 5-7 days a week. I vary between 30 minutes and 90 minutes. The HRM is a good estimate???
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah the steps thing isn't always that accurate.

Yep. The only true measure is weather or not you are moving towards your goals...
  • danaberge
    Options
    I think I am. It's just upsetting to see the # go up when you give yourself room to maintain and the scale goes up 5 freaking lbs. I guess it could be a lot worse. I'm going to just stay as close to my 7,000c deficit a week as possible. Continue what i'm doing with my food, and what I know has worked for the last year... and just keep my chin up. :smiley:
    I'm in a much better physical condition than last year. I lost about 15% of my body weight. I'm proud of myself. Now, back to business.
  • danaberge
    Options
    Actually 17.4% reduction in weight this year!!
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had my calories set to maintenance from 12/24 through 1/1 and it looked like I had gained 1 lb. As soon as I made myself more accountable on the 1st, it just fell right off. Maybe lower your goals for a few day, watch your sodium, drink water and see what happens....
  • J72FIT
    Options
    danaberge wrote: »
    Actually 17.4% reduction in weight this year!!

That's fantastic!

What are your stats now? Height, weight, age and physical activity (how often and for how long do you train per day)?
  • danaberge
    Options
    H-5'5" W-248lbs Age-31 and I try to get a minimum of 30 minutes physical activity a day. Or I make it up on another day. I have a desk job 48 hours a week, plus car time, and two kids. I do a stationary bike and when the weather gets better I will be back outside. I will be tampering with jogging.... now that I can.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think if you are consistent in a long term diet then a few days of bad eating is not going to hurt.

Having an optimum setting and condition to weigh yourself is important I think. After a big Thankgiving/Christmas meal you have to wait till the food is out of your system.

I know from experience that it's not possible to gain 5 lbs from a few bad days of eating lol under normal circumstances. Personally it taken me a couple of summers to gain 10 lbs when I was trying to bulk up.

I don't know what a fitbit is but I assume all it does is measure how many steps you take.

Keep up the long term plan and you will succeed.
  • danaberge
    Options
    I thought the same thing jimmy. But, I guess as I got older (in my 30's) my body easily gains weight now. So, a couple of bad days for me, means a set back of a month! It's okay. I will lose it again! I'm hoping it's just crazy sodium retention. I was trying to tell myself my body is holding fluid because of how dang cold it is. LOL. Maybe....... Either way, I'm back at it and in the game for the long haul.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    danaberge wrote: »
    H-5'5" W-248lbs Age-31 and I try to get a minimum of 30 minutes physical activity a day. Or I make it up on another day. I have a desk job 48 hours a week, plus car time, and two kids. I do a stationary bike and when the weather gets better I will be back outside. I will be tampering with jogging.... now that I can.

With your stats I have you at a range of 1200 - 1500 calories per day so you are sitting nicely right in the middle. What are your macros set to?

• danaberge
    Options
    50% carbs 20% fats 30% protein
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am at the same height and about the same weight and I have loads of problems trying to lose weight. I work towards eating under 1300 and exercise every other day for an hour or so even when I am sore. So far, It has been working. Maybe just focus on less calories.
  • J72FIT
    edited January 2015
    Options
    IMO, I would drop carbs to 40% and up fat to 30%. Protein seems fine. Also, I would disconnect the fitbit from MFP and stick to 1300 per day. No calories earned for exercise. The exercise and deficit are already calculated in for 2 lbs per week loss. Use the fitbit to make sure you hit 10000 steps per day. You could also, if you do not already add resistance training...

Try that for say 12 weeks and then take a week off dieting to give your body a break. Eat at maintenance for one week (while still training) then re-evaluate your stats and go on another 12 weeks.

I also think Jimmy is right, patience...
  • danaberge
    Options
    J72 - You are right! I'm sure that would be the best and quickest way to lose weight. Unfortunately I just don't see myself sticking to something so rigid. This is why it took me a whole year to lose 50lbs. Because i'm just doing it slow and steady - so I don't burn myself out and I actually stick with it. I have been in the weight loss game since i'm 12 and if I could stick with anything that good then I wouldn't have this problem. LOL. I'm such a bad food addict. Just trying to get healthy :)
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Well I can't say it's the best. And I don't assume it would be quick. I think you have done a great job so far. Best of luck.