Looking to lose 40-50 lbs and in need of tips/support :)

Options
Right now I'm 220 and my goal is to get down to 180 or so. I've never tried losing weight before. I've never counted calories or shopped for healthy food options. Instead, I've always eaten whatever I want. So now getting losing weight means I need to completely change how I think about eating and exercising. I'm not sure if it would be more helpful to work with other new members or people who have already made their fitness goals happen, but I think if I were accountable to someone for what I'm logging on my food diary it would help me with my goals. Otherwise I'm afraid I will continue to eat what I want and feel guilty afterwards.

So I'm looking for two things:
1. Tips for starting out and trying to eat healthy without feeling like I never get to eat anything I enjoy
2. Someone to hold me accountable
Thank you!

Replies

• denise135das
    denise135das Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just read your post and am also seeking an accountability partner. I am 220 pounds and looking to lose about 50 pounds, initially. I tend to give up when no one is there to help motivate. I would love if we could partner up and trek this journey together.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm almost at my goal weight, but I started out with 171lb to lose - I'm now 10lb away.... I have recently rejoined MFP because I tried leaving in November 2014, but started gaining weight again and that needs to stop, I know it was only a 5lb gain, but I wanted to stop it before that 5lb becomes 10lb becomes 15lb and so on....

Feel free to add me, I'll be around most days as I'm currently between jobs.

Please also feel free to have a read of my profile, it'll tell you a bit more about my journey thus far.... and best of luck to you on your journey.

xXx
  • peachy48161
    peachy48161 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 135 in last 5 years, gained like 30 back recently. Small things to help when just starting out.
    Use spray butter and cooking spray to replace butter and oil. (switch over to olive oil and use in moderation if you haven't already)
    Use low fat sour cream or a good substitution is plain greek yogurt
    Decrease the calories your drinking. Don't drink tons of juice/milk/full sugar soda and etc
    If your a pop drinker and drink full sugar, start with diet and once your off full sugar then wean yourself off Diet.
    Choose healthier options at restaurants, instead of loaded baked potato, get a plain one and add salsa as your toppings. Choose veggies but not sauteed in lots of butter and stuff

It really is just making small adjustments and mindful of what you put in your mouth.
  • lola656
    Options
    I have issues with accountability as well. I also hate getting up to go to the gym. I don't know why because once I am there, I love it. But.....getting there sucks! I don't know what my problem is because last year I lost over 20 pounds, but I was also in a weight loss competition that paid me.. money is a great motivator for me...