flax seeds

Options
I bought some because I hear they are healthy for you but I am still trying to figure out what to do with them. I have added them in my salad and oatmeal but I just don't get it, they have no taste. What do you do with them? and are they really THAT good for you?

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Everything I've heard says they are really good for you. I just throw them on salads, or mix into other dishes (stir fries, etc...). To me, they have a slight nutty flavor, but very mild.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    There are lots of health benefits to flax seed. I put it in my coffee (though it doesn't mix well :tongue: ) and in my protein shakes. I personally use it for the omega 3s and for the fiber. Here are a couple links with some info on it.

http://www.flaxhealth.com/howflaxhelps.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/flaxinfo.htm
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just made some energy bars from Brendan Brazier's "Thrive" book that has ground flax seeds as part of the ingredients. We also use them in pancakes.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Excellent source of Omega-3s. Super good for you. Some people grind them up but I just sprinkle them on yogurt with cut up fruit and a few walnut halves.
  • MarcelaBella
    Options
    I mix them in my yogurt w/fruit. One thing I know it helps me with is to regulate blood sugar levels, so I don't feel a sugar high and then crash.
  • tsomo
    tsomo Posts: 44
    Options
    It's a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I take it on daily basis, but honestly, I don't really like the taste. :tongue:
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are your flax seeds toasted? I think they are supper yummy that way. I put them in anything I would put nuts in. When they are toasted they have a strong taste and you don't have to use much.
  • suzieatkinson
    Options
    thanks guys! Mine are not toasted and are pretty much flavorless but I will continue to add them to my food everyday.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i use organic cold-milled flax seeds
    i put them in my smoothies in the morning...
    they are very good for you. high in fiber and omega 3 fatty acids
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Rich in good fats, protein, fiber, and omega-3s. I put them in my trail mix.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have the cold milled flax meal as well. You can add it to anything. One serving has much more Omega-3s than the fish oil pills my husband takes for that reason. My mom adds some to her yogurt every morning. I throw some into just about anything that I add flour to.
  • coakes31
    coakes31 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy those? And are they reasonably priced?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I buy the whole seeds and grind them as I need them since the body assimilates them better that way. I use them in smoothies, pancakes, waffles, breads (we bake our own) sprinkled on salads or mixed into oatmeal. Sometimes I'll even hide in meatloaf. It's got lots of good Omega 3's and fiber.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    If you bought whole ones .. you have to grind them prior to using them or else they go right through without ntritional value. You can put them in salads, yougurt, oareals ... protein shakes ... I grind flaxseed, raw almonds and raw sunflowers seed and use them to coast chickn or fish prior to baking ... comes out crunchy, yummy and healthy.... use your imagination ...
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i use organic cold-milled flax seeds
    i put them in my smoothies in the morning...
    they are very good for you. high in fiber and omega 3 fatty acids

This.
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I grind flaxseed, raw almonds and raw sunflowers seed and use them to coast chickn or fish prior to baking ... comes out crunchy, yummy and healthy.... use your imagination ...

That sounds super delish!
  • smithersshorty
    Options
    I've heard that your body can't digest whole flax seeds and that they need to be ground in order to get any benefit from them.
    Excellent source of Omega-3s. Super good for you. Some people grind them up but I just sprinkle them on yogurt with cut up fruit and a few walnut halves.